Rooney Awaiting News on Punishment

• Thread starter Thread starter fm1063
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 334
  • Views Views 17K

Should Rooney Receive a Punishment?

• Total voters
I'm just talking about the swearing into a camera side of things. Gerrard should clearly be punished for swearing at a ref, no disputing that, but the two cases are different.

Swearing at a ref is obviously setting a horrible example for all those innocent children watching. Now, thanks to Steven Gerrard, Sunday League players are running around week in week out doing all sorts of things to referees. What a disgusting example of a role model, footballer and person that Steven Gerrard is.

That proves nothing about consistency. Firstly, it was a different organisation. Secondly, Essien's tackle has been ignored this weekend. Grant received the same length ban as Rooney for questioning refereeing integrity, Cole shot someone, Rooney elbowed someone, Shawcross broke someone's leg, Gerrard flashed the v sign. Need I go on? That isn't inconsistency and double standard? Show me what is then, please.

All of those were completely different incidents that deserved different punishments, so you can't make an argument based on consistency. The only one that was vaguely similar was the V sign, and I agreed that he should have received a ban. Anyway, punishments are handed out for various incidents all of the time in football. Sometimes they are too harsh, sometimes they are too lenient. You can't just take a select few incidents that weren't punished harshly enough, compare those to ManU's and then claim that the world is out to get ManU. It's a terrible argument. I could just as easily dig up every punishment that was too harsh in FA history and then compare it to every time a ManU incident was leniently punished and then claim that ManU gets off too easy. We could do this for any club.

This is what bothers me, every time there is a ManU incident everyone immediately goes around complaining about how unfair the FA and referees are toward ManU. They made an example out of Rooney so he didn't get off easy (I would've given him a one match ban), but in general, the big clubs in any league tend to get calls in their favor. Maybe with some of the off the field stuff they sometimes get it a little harsh because the disciplinary associations want to make an example out of them (ie Grant's comments probably would have been punished harsher if they came from Wenger or Ferguson), but it's annoying to hear fans of big clubs complain about getting unfair treatment when they get calls in their favor all of the time.

I'm just talking about the swearing into a camera side of things. Gerrard should clearly be punished for swearing at a ref, no disputing that, but the two cases are different.

hes been targeted becuase of the role model thing, pretty much Brookings words beforehand, Gerrard swore at a ref, yet nothing. players croand and abuse the ref, nothing. so why the one person? thats what gets me.

I didn't accuse any club here, i was just pointing towards FA's inconsistency and double standards.

Diaby post was just inreply for bringing Shawcross which is not even remotely close to the topic here.

You're three posts were: About Diaby, about Gerrard (Refereeing inconsistency, but clearly choosing Gerrard in the same way I picked up on Shawcross) and then suggesting because the chief of the FA is a City board member or whatever, that was the reason he was banned..

Are you suggesting that you're thinking outside the box by blindly believing Rooney's statement? Sigh.

I wouldn't mind your opinion if it made sense. Nobody would swear directly into the camera for no reason.

No, i didn't say that by blindly believing Rooney's words. I have seen lots of players screaming **** off when they score. It wont be directed at anyone, they just use it.

Rooney said into the cam, but it was not intended at anyone. Why would Rooney swear at someone watching at home. I dont even think Rooney is arsed to listed to Sky pundits to swear at them.

Certainly, refereeing inconsistencies are rife in Football these days, but when a case is rightly punished like this it shouldn't cause people to say it was a poor decision because others have failed to be correctly punished also.

All of those were completely different incidents that deserved different punishments, so you can't make an argument based on consistency. The only one that was vaguely similar was the V sign, and I agreed that he should have received a ban. Anyway, punishments are handed out for various incidents all of the time in football. Sometimes they are too harsh, sometimes they are too lenient. You can't just take a select few incidents that weren't punished harshly enough, compare those to ManU's and then claim that the world is out to get ManU. It's a terrible argument. I could just as easily dig up every punishment that was too harsh in FA history and then compare it to every time a ManU incident was leniently punished and then claim that ManU gets off too easy. We could do this for any club.

This is what bothers me, every time there is a ManU incident everyone immediately goes around complaining about how unfair the FA and referees are toward ManU. They made an example out of Rooney so he didn't get off easy (I would've given him a one match ban), but in general, the big clubs in any league tend to get calls in their favor. Maybe with some of the off the field stuff they sometimes get it a little harsh because the disciplinary associations want to make an example out of them (ie Grant's comments probably would have been punished harsher if they came from Wenger or Ferguson), but it's annoying to hear fans of big clubs complain about getting unfair treatment when they get calls in their favor all of the time.

Why are you turning it into the world is out to get United? You admitted yourself there's inconsistency, so thanks for winning my argument for me. I never said the world's out to get United, I said multiple times Rooney should have been banned for the elbow for example. I said it's inconsistency and that Rooney has been scapegoated, and since you admit both..

hes been targeted becuase of the role model thing, pretty much Brookings words beforehand, Gerrard swore at a ref, yet nothing. players croand and abuse the ref, nothing. so why the one person? thats what gets me.

Completely agree - refereeing inconsistency seems to have gone mad this season.

Did anyone hear Paul Robinson's comments about Rooney on MOTD2? Thought he was generally excellent but basically said kids already know these words & know they're bad.

Certainly, refereeing inconsistencies are rife in Football these days, but when a case is rightly punished like this it shouldn't cause people to say it was a poor decision because others have failed to be correctly punished also.

But swearing at the ref is different to swearing at the camera, no?

No, i didn't say that by blindly believing Rooney's words. I have seen lots of players screaming **** off when they score. It wont be directed at anyone, they just use it.

Rooney said into the cam, but it was not intended at anyone. Why would Rooney swear at someone watching at home. I dont even think Rooney is arsed to listed to Sky pundits to swear at them.

1. Swearing into the air and swearing into the camera are completely different in meaning, I'm confused as to how you keep overlooking that.
2. I said nothing about pundits, I mean the Manchester United (and perhaps England) fans who are sitting at home that have been critical in their judgement of Rooney this season, he proved a point and ****** well wanted them to know it.

You're three posts were: About Diaby, about Gerrard (Refereeing inconsistency, but clearly choosing Gerrard in the same way I picked up on Shawcross) and then suggesting because the chief of the FA is a City board member or whatever, that was the reason he was banned..

Jeez, that was just a tongue in cheek comment. I'm not someone who believes in conspiracy theories people die for here. Like FA are Fergi's puppets, Ref's favor United nonsense.

About diaby coz you brought Shawcross. So i pointed out something you missed.

Gerrard coz he was caught swearing at ref but was unpunished which is very much on topic here.

Why are you turning it into the world is out to get United? You admitted yourself there's inconsistency, so thanks for winning my argument for me. I never said the world's out to get United, I said multiple times Rooney should have been banned for the elbow for example. I said it's inconsistency and that Rooney has been scapegoated, and since you admit both..

was pretty much about to the say thing, this all we have been saying all along

I hope from now on people don't say that the FA are pro-United.

Such a narrow-minded view, as evidenced by this.

Ridiculous punishment IMO.

Completely agree - refereeing inconsistency seems to have gone mad this season.

Did anyone hear Paul Robinson's comments about Rooney on MOTD2? Thought he was generally excellent but basically said kids already know these words & know they're bad.

he was excellent, and absolutely spot on. Didnt jump on the ridiculous bandwagon, and spoke complete common sense

1. Swearing into the air and swearing into the camera are completely different in meaning, I'm confused as to how you keep overlooking that.
2. I said nothing about pundits, I mean the Manchester United (and perhaps England) fans who are sitting at home that have been critical in their judgement of Rooney this season, he proved a point and ****** well wanted them to know it.

That was instinctive and i dont think there was enough time to think about that and make his feeling heard.

The whole incident was more like a slap on West ham fans who were abusing him from the start of the game. Not to any Sky viewer.

I hope from now on people don't say that the FA are pro-United.

Such a narrow-minded view, as evidenced by this.

Ridiculous punishment IMO.

This..

I know Andre Villas Boas fans speak sense ;)

The whole incident was more like a slap on West ham fans who were abusing him from the start of the game. Not to any Sky viewer.

Now that's a theory that makes slight sense - Though doing it into the camera when the people who were abusing him were in the stands is quite odd. That being said, Footballers get abused through chants and boos EVERY game, if this was the case you don't think Rooney deserves the punishment for not having the mental strength to refrain like most others do and swearing into the camera?

Back