Rooney Awaiting News on Punishment

• Thread starter Thread starter fm1063
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 334
  • Views Views 17K

Should Rooney Receive a Punishment?

• Total voters
drogba was done for his comments to the ref

Yer maybe so but you cant excuse what he has done and its shocking. Like is say and have always said couldnt give a **** if he wants to **** grandmothers but when they pass that white line they should be professional and he wasent.

Well surely Savage has more insite than us. Like he said he has never swore at a camera or at opposition fans. There is no excuse for Rooney's outburst simple as that. He also said hes son rung him up after his 4-1 defeat to Cardiff and the first thing his boy said to him was "daddy Rooney said a naughty word". Not well done dad you scored a penalty etc. He has let himself down massivly and there is no excuse and i have been one of Rooney's biggest fans in the past.

Lol Savage? Hardly someone whom you should listen to..

Still there was no talk about Essien's tackle isn't it..

Sigh, just as Jack said literally 2 minutes ago - Just because some people go unpunished it doesn't mean you should ignore all punishable offences, that would make the FA even worse than they already are.

becuase hes been made a target, Rio has already tweeted and acknowledged as much that they back him

Well of course they are going to back him, he's obviously disappointed at Rooney's behaviour, he could now cost his team points.

Lol Savage? Hardly someone whom you should listen to..

Why not?? Like i say he has more insite on the game than any of us. If anything he has more of a say because he gets slated every week non stop for 90minutes and he never swears at cameras or fans etc.

He swore right at the camera, a very bad message. And I don't see how you can claim that he didn't let down his team. He did something very stupid that got him punished and cost his team...how is that not letting down his team?

Again, totally different kinds of incidents. Players will swear on the field, so you can't punish them for it. This is because a)they don't intend on anyone knowing what they are saying, b)no one in the audience knows (I, along with most people, can't read lips at all, unless the player is mouthing it right to the camera, and Rooney's incident was the only time in memory that I successfully lip-read something a player said), and most importantly, c)it would be nearly impossible to punish because of the inconistency it would bring. Any player punished could cite examples of 100's of other times players swore on the field and didn't get punished. Rooney's incident completely differs from all of these points. A)he intended on millions of viewers knowing exactly what he said, b)it was obvious and everyone knew more or less what he said because his face was right up to the camera, and c)it's very easy to punish because there aren't any precedents. Never before have I seen a player walk right up to the camera in the middle of a game, get close up, and swear at it.

It was also muffled by the sound of thousands of fans. Hence why after the incident it had to be worked out from youtube what he said, not immediately. You said you lip read it, not heard it. Interesting choice of words. As I say, they often zoom in on players having a go at the ref and interpret it. The commentator's often joke about it "No guessing what he said there, is there?".

Exactly, 100's of times players can cite other reasons. Why can't Rooney. There have been 3-4 video's linked here of players or managers swearing at the camera. So yes, there are precedents. Yes, the FA are being inconsistent. Yes, it's hypocritical and the punishment is totally ridiculous.

In Drogba's case, I'm guessing they felt that punishing him for his treatment of the ref was punishment enough. But had he only yelled what he did into the camera and not spoken to the ref, I'd hope he would have been given a 3-5 match ban.

As far as yelling stuff at refs go, it's completely different. When a player swears at a ref, we don't know about it. When a player swears at a camera, you're broadcasting swearing to millions of people. It's a completely different situation. Not only that, it's completely needless. I can understand a player swearing at a ref, but swearing at the camera? There's no reason for it, which is why it never happens. Now as far as players abusing a ref, I do think they should be punished more harshly, but again, bringing up lenient decisions in completely different matters is off-topic, and as I said before you can't use it to prove bias against any particular club. The reason it's more difficult to punish players for swearing at refs, and sometimes they get off. For example, sometimes you can't prove whether or not the player swore at a ref. If he yells "****!" when the whistle is blown, you don't know if he's swearing at the ref, at himself, or at the world in general. Maybe it's obvious that he's swearing at the ref, but the player could always claim that he was swearing at himself for committing a stupid foul. Also, there's the question of language. A player may easily insult a ref in a different language without the ref knowing, and then you could cite this lack of punishment as inconsistency. But I'm getting way off-topic. Dealing with refs is a completely different type of incident, and one that is much more difficult to punish. This incident is pretty much without precedent (why they had to make an example of him) and is very easy to punish.
First, i'm not trying to prove they're biased against us.
It's not without precedent.
"The FA has charged Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney for the use of offensive, insulting and / or abusive language."
You think Rooney's use of **** is unprecedented in a football match?

Mainly because there was no injury to the player. And because of Rooney's outburst he has grabbed the headlines this weekend.

Sigh, just as Jack said literally 2 minutes ago - Just because some people go unpunished it doesn't mean you should ignore all punishable offences, that would make the FA even worse than they already are.

This isn't about Essien's tackle?

My post was something to do with how media picks on only few players, incidents and ignores others completely.

Well of course they are going to back him, he's obviously disappointed at Rooney's behaviour, he could now cost his team points.

not really, rio's tweets were to the effect of give him a break, it was heat of the moment. mountain out of a molehill.
Punishment is one thing, but the fact the this wont be followed up on is what really riles me

My post was something to do with how media picks on only few players, incidents and ignores others completely.

Yer your right they do but Rooney is public enemy number 3 (after Ashley Cole and John Terry). So if anything he should know better.

The media can hardly report all cases, they report what will sell.

Yer your right they do but Rooney is public enemy number 3 (after Ashley Cole and John Terry). So if anything he should know better.

thast no excuse bowing to the media is it though? thats part of the joke here. but what's done is done anyway.

Why not?? Like i say he has more insite on the game than any of us. If anything he has more of a say because he gets slated every week non stop for 90minutes and he never swears at cameras or fans etc.
Savage reckons Vidic is having a **** season.
Sadly incite into the game doesn't help you when you're a complete muppet.
Plus he's only on those radio shows to be controversial.

What is wrong with Savage, he is a professional footballer isn't he?

Quite good summariser as well when I listen to him on the Radio.

I find him very good indeed. He has just been nominated for the new radio presenter of the year so he must be doing somthing right.

What is wrong with Savage, he is a professional footballer isn't he?

Quite good summariser as well when I listen to him on the Radio.

Not all professional players are good with being pundits or analysis.

Have you heard Charlton Palmer speaking before champions league? He was a professional player. Speaks loads of nonsense.

Well maybe you find Savage analysis interesting but i always find him annoying.

If Rooney appeals it'll probably get reduced anyway. Hopefully he does, because it would hardly be a "frivolous appeal".

If he's banned for 2 games he'll miss Fulham on Saturday and City at Wembley. Not massive losses, but big enough. Although on the up side, it would mean he's 100% and rested for 2nd Leg vs Chelsea..

becuase hes been made a target, Rio has already tweeted and acknowledged as much that they back him

Of course the players are going to say that, when you have a decision that goes against you you blame the people disciplining you and not your own players, everyone does this (especially Arsenal). Do you think the players would actually publicly say "Rooney you idiot!" It would be terrible for morale and of course would create a feud between Rooney and that player. But I bet you that privately SAF had a word with Rooney and more or less told him not to do anything stupid like that again and that he let down the team (whether or not SAF complains about the decision in public). That's certainly what I'd do if I were a manager. The point remains that he did something stupid and unnecessary that got him a two-match ban. Whether or not the punishment was harsh, that's letting down the team. He should have known that this type of behavior can result in a ban, and that was my first thought when I saw it happen. I don't see how you can deny that he let down the team. I'd be absolutely livid if a player for one of my teams did this, whether or not the punishment was harsh. I get mad if one of my players does something stupid that could possibly result in a ban or a card.

He hasn't been 'made a target,' they simple set an example out of them. This is the first time a player in recent memory a player walked right up to the camera mid-game and swore at it during his goal celebration. If it were Terry or Drogba or Tevez the punishment would have been the same, as would the public reaction against it. The claim that it's unfair bias towards ManU/Rooney is what really bothers me.

Back