Scotland lose CL Spot

Not fussed about this tbh. I watch quite a bit of Scottish football and some games are exciting I will admit but most of it is very low quality.

the way urinea dumped out rangers with ease shows the quality is just getting worse. I think it is deserved and a very good decision/.

Not fussed about this tbh. I watch quite a bit of Scottish football and some games are exciting I will admit but most of it is very low quality.

the way urinea dumped out rangers with ease shows the quality is just getting worse. I think it is deserved and a very good decision/.

Unirea got 3 very fortunate goals at Ibrox and scored a stoppage time equiliser in Romania so it could really have went either way in those 2 games,Walter Smith tried to be more positve in going forward and it cost him dearly,if he'd have stuck "anti-football" as the Barcelona boys dubbed it I reckon we could have got that Euro cup spot?

So we've had a few bad years,it was only 2 and 3 years ago the old firm were beating the likes of Benfica,Porto,Sporting,Werder Bremen,AC Milan, Lyon and Fiorentina so give it time we'll get it back?

It's not a total disaster, It just means Our top side will play teams like BATE and Unirea to qualify rather than Celtic playing Arsenal this year.

Teams like Aberdeen,Hearts and Motherwell need to start getting results again to help raise our profile. I remember a few years back we Beat Basle in Switzerland,Beordouex (sp) in France and Braga in Portugal.

A lot of things have went against us but England survives soley on there champions league sides. English teams never make the effort in the UEFA cup and it ruins it for everyone else.

For the squad's they have i expect them to challenge but teams like Villa and Everton have faltered in recent years. However that goes a miss because of your recent champions league efforts.

Having a great fan base doesn't mean ****, just look at Newcastle, so stop using that as a reason to be in Europe.

Personally, alot of the players that are classed as 'good' in Scotland, are classed as 'mediocre at best' in the prem, just look at players like Caldwell, Samaras, Fortune, Miller. Granted some of the Scottish players that come up through the ranks look alright, but if Celtic are a top team, why would your players want to move to Boro? It's a bit like USA, players move there if there not good enough, or there too old and want to move to a club where they will be classed as a superstar (Beckham/Keane).

Having a great fan base doesn't mean ****, just look at Newcastle, so stop using that as a reason to be in Europe.

Personally, alot of the players that are classed as 'good' in Scotland, are classed as 'mediocre at best' in the prem, just look at players like Caldwell, Samaras, Fortune, Miller. Granted some of the Scottish players that come up through the ranks look alright, but if Celtic are a top team, why would your players want to move to Boro? It's a bit like USA, players move there if there not good enough, or there too old and want to move to a club where they will be classed as a superstar (Beckham/Keane).

EPL compared to La Liga's the same. When they graduate from the EPL they go to La Liga, the best league in the world. Ronaldo did it and so did Beckham. There's even talk of Fabregas moving down.
Now bite.

This thread has become pointless really. I dont really care what the English fans think of our game. To be honest even if it was the same standard they wouldnt admit it because its just pure hatred and you can read it in alot of the posts on here and I've experienced it everytime I've been to England despite the fact I was actually born there.

all this thread is about is the english dishing the scottish league

EPL compared to La Liga's the same. When they graduate from the EPL they go to La Liga, the best league in the world. Ronaldo did it and so did Beckham. There's even talk of Fabregas moving down.
Now bite.
Not really. English teams have performed just as well as spanish teams if not better in europe while scottish teams have been a bit of an embarresment in europe especially compared to english teams.

The person qouted said that the best in scotland moved to the prem and are average while the examples you provided for EPL to la liga the players have moved for massive amounts of money and have been stars in the league. And what, 2 players have moved there......hardly makes the EPL a feeder for la liga.

It is only your opinion that la liga is the best league in the world. What is it? 4/5 years where there has been an english team in the champions league final, including one all english final. A few years now the last 4 has been dominated by the english teams. If it wasn't for barcelona this would look even worse for la liga, and one team doesn't make a league mate.

So all in all, it is a pretty **** poor comparison. There is a huge chasm of quality between the epl and the spl, while whichever is better between la liga and the epl it is pretty clear that the difference between them is slim.

@ Div muzza, no english people are saying any of this stuff because we hate the scottish. Just it is quite clear that your league is **** poor and you totally deserve to have one of your spots taken away from you

P.s This thread isn't about the EPL or la liga

Last edited:
Most of the threads have missed the point on here I think its time this was closed. Theres plenty of other threads for us to be insulted in im sure. Just because they say it doesnt mean it isnt true. Fair enough if you back your argument up. We were bad one season in europe. In the past decade we had two teams in a european cup final. On point I do think we deserved to loose a spot but I think the only reason we are not the same quality as we uset to be is because football has become more about money.

Last edited:
Threads like the spl is pish poor or the scottish league is **** or Celtic and Rangers are league 1 standard. Thread like that are insulting.

So all in all, it is a pretty **** poor comparison. There is a huge chasm of quality between the epl and the spl, while whichever is better between la liga and the epl it is pretty clear that the difference between them is slim.

@ Div muzza, no english people are saying any of this stuff because we hate the scottish. Just it is quite clear that your league is **** poor and you totally deserve to have one of your spots taken away from you

I think people are under the illusion here that us Scots think it's unfair to lose the CL spot?
We know we've been **** for the past few seasons but the saying is true,money makes the world go round,ask yourselves my English cousins,how many finals would you have got to without the money from Sky?

Would the English teams be as dominant without the cash?

I think not!

I think most of us up here are very bitter of the success England has. It's not all about money though. England is a much larger nation than Scotland and most of our population and football clubs are from Central Scotland. So the majority support the old firm leaving local clubs in the lurch.

The English, Although they may support Man Utd. Will also support like....Doncaster or Ipswich and will go to the games. Many of our grounds are half empty on match day's.

The way our game is run is also a joke,Our league structure is a joke,Youth set up's are a joke

A year ago Sky offered us double what we are getting this year but no, We reject it for Setanta. /facepalm

Our problems run deep and too often we blame everyone else.

Not really. English teams have performed just as well as spanish teams if not better in europe while scottish teams have been a bit of an embarresment in europe especially compared to english teams.

The person qouted said that the best in scotland moved to the prem and are average while the examples you provided for EPL to la liga the players have moved for massive amounts of money and have been stars in the league. And what, 2 players have moved there......hardly makes the EPL a feeder for la liga.

It is only your opinion that la liga is the best league in the world. What is it? 4/5 years where there has been an english team in the champions league final, including one all english final. A few years now the last 4 has been dominated by the english teams. If it wasn't for barcelona this would look even worse for la liga, and one team doesn't make a league mate.

Highlight the last line of my post. Trick works both ways.

Whoever said that we are only up there because of our 'Big Four' is absolutely correct, the way Villa went out this season was disgraceful, Everton always do alright although they were also knocked out in qualifying early last season but to be fair, they've never had a big enough squad. I think sides should take the Europa League seriously, especially as they've given it a much better layout and the money is much nearer the CL. Hopefully Fulham can change that this season. I am sure Tottenham will qualify for Europa League next season and challenge for it properly. The Europa League may not be the Champions League but its the next best thing.

Whoever said that we are only up there because of our 'Big Four' is absolutely correct, the way Villa went out this season was disgraceful, Everton always do alright although they were also knocked out in qualifying early last season but to be fair, they've never had a big enough squad. I think sides should take the Europa League seriously, especially as they've given it a much better layout and the money is much nearer the CL. Hopefully Fulham can change that this season. I am sure Tottenham will qualify for Europa League next season and challenge for it properly. The Europa League may not be the Champions League but its the next best thing.

That was me, Glad Fulham are taking it seriously. Why fight for 38 games to get there and just play your 2nd string?

That was me, Glad Fulham are taking it seriously. Why fight for 38 games to get there and just play your 2nd string?

This is the reason why people up here get ****** off with the bigger teams down south,no matter what anyone calls it( the inferior euro cup???)it's still a European trophy with a long and distinguished history and for teams to put out a ******* reserve team so as to preserve their 1st team for a crack at 4th place is beyond a joke!

Well done Fulham,i'll be following them with high interest!:D

Too true for some reason, its Champions League or nothing for most teams, I can't wait til Thursday night, Shakhtar barely lose in Ukraine.

i wish teams like man city and spurs would get off their arses, spend some more money, and get into the top 4, england needs more than 5 or 6 teams doing well, spurs spend money, and more money every year and do nothing, man city will be in the top 4 this year and for years to come, liverpool also need to stop feeling sorry for themselves and start getting some top form back

Wouldnt you rather the play good football with great tactics and earn it rather than just buy it like certain other teams.