• Yes he should go.

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Yes he should but not at captain.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • No he should be left out.

Votes: 32 45.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
a defensive line needs pace from one of the centrebacks. Which means either Smalling or Jags must start

Terry and Carvalho, neither had pace but formed one of the best centre back partnerships ever. Its not a must need i don't think, defensive partnerships can be successful without pace.

Again since when was pace a must have ability for a centre back to have???? In fact there isen't many centre backs who are quick because most quick players end up playing a more attacking position because of their pace. His heading, positioning and awareness of the game is still one of the best in Europe without a doubt.

It's not a requirement to be quick, but it is becoming more and more useful in the modern game. For example, see the top players of the new generation of centre-back - Pique, Chiellini, Silva, Hummels, Jones - and you can see they all have at very least serviceable pace. With top-level traditional target men strikers dying out and being replaced by more complete, pacier forwards, centre-backs in general have to be quicker to compensate.

That's beside the point, however. The point is that one of our two centre-backs needs to be quick and have the positional awareness to cover, so that's either Jags or Smalling. The other centre-back can be free to push up and not have particularly notable pace, though Jones can shift like buggery when he needs to. Jones is a promising youth who has been in fine fettle all season, and allows us to play a high line without exposing one of our centre-backs for pace. Terry, on the other hand, looks wholly uncomfortable in a high line, either forcing us to play deep or him to underperform.

The decision should be a footballing one, John Terry is the most passionate player we have, he organises well and is very experienced at that level. I'd always want him in my side.

We're exactly one month into the Euro year and someone's already mentioned passion in regard to an England player.

Sigh.

Last edited:
Terry and Carvalho, neither had pace but formed one of the best centre back partnerships ever. Its not a must need i don't think, defensive partnerships can be successful without pace.

Right, but the defensive line under Mourinho was ridiculously deep, geared towards counter-attacking as its primary weapon. You don't need anywhere near as much pace when you're doing that. We don't want England, with the quality of our players, forced into playing a deep line against, say, Lithuania or Estonia or someone that we should be dominating the match against.

Pace in the back line allows us to use our natural fitness to press and play a high line

That back line basically sat on their goalkeeper its so deep. England are trying to play higher up the pitch, which needs pace at the back

It's not a requirement to be quick, but it is becoming more and more useful in the modern game. For example, see the top players of the new generation of centre-back - Pique, Chiellini, Silva, Hummels, Jones - and you can see they all have at very least serviceable pace. With top-level traditional target men strikers dying out and being replaced by more complete, pacier forwards, centre-backs in general have to be quicker to compensate.

That's beside the point, however. The point is that one of our two centre-backs needs to be quick and have the positional awareness to cover, so that's either Jags or Smalling. The other centre-back can be free to push up and not have particularly notable pace, though Jones can shift like buggery when he needs to. Jones is a promising youth who has been in fine fettle all season, and allows us to play a high line without exposing one of our centre-backs for pace. Terry, on the other hand, looks wholly uncomfortable in a high line, either forcing us to play deep or him to underperform.

We're exactly one month into the Euro year and someone's already mentioned passion in regard to an England player.

Sigh.

Right, but the defensive line under Mourinho was ridiculously deep, geared towards counter-attacking as its primary weapon. You don't need anywhere near as much pace when you're doing that. We don't want England, with the quality of our players, forced into playing a deep line against, say, Lithuania or Estonia or someone that we should be dominating the match against.

That back line basically sat on their goalkeeper its so deep. England are trying to play higher up the pitch, which needs pace at the back

I agree its becoming more of a needed attribute for a centre back but it has never been and never will be a key attribute for a centre back that my point.

I agree its becoming more of a needed attribute for a centre back but it has never been and never will be a key attribute for a centre back that my point.

In the modern game, its becoming more and more important at the top level, its definitely getting closer and closer to a key requirement

Last edited:

Who are you to say that? People used to say full-backs were just guys who couldn't make the grade at centre-back, played wide. Goalkeepers didn't used to have to have any kind of ball skills at all. Et cetera. For all we know, it might be.

Nice of you to ignore literally every other point, though.

Who are you to say that? People used to say full-backs were just guys who couldn't make the grade at centre-back, played wide. Goalkeepers didn't used to have to have any kind of ball skills at all. Et cetera. For all we know, it might be.Nice of you to ignore literally every other point, though.
Oh i didn't ignore your other points, don't like telling people they were right lol. I know it helps if one of our centre backs is quick but looking at your non quick centre back for me JT is the best of them.

Oh i didn't ignore your other points, don't like telling people they were right lol. I know it helps if one of our centre backs is quick but looking at your non quick centre back for me JT is the best of them.

That's fair enough. I'd much rather have Jones, myself, but it's pretty much a toss-up between him, JT, Lescott and Cahill. I dislike Lescott, and I reckon Cahill's slightly worse than Terry, but Jones deserves the starting place, just about.

That's fair enough. I'd much rather have Jones, myself, but it's pretty much a toss-up between him, JT, Lescott and Cahill. I dislike Lescott, and I reckon Cahill's slightly worse than Terry, but Jones deserves the starting place, just about.

Straight fight between Jones and Terry for me, assuming both are on form, comes down to who we face.

Like a lot of others have said, my opinion is that he should only go if he's on form and playing well and if it doesn't disrupt the squad. Saying that he should definitely NOT be captain imo. I think that he's on the decline as a footballer due to injuries and age and that we have a much better candidate for the captaincy now. We have better young centre backs that deserve to start more than Terry does.

It has to be Scotty Parker whose chosen as Captain, in my eyes he's the only valid player that can be considered for the job. All the other names have simply not been performing well enough this season.

Terry shouldn't go to the Euros cos he's a ****. Let players like Dawson, Cahill, Jones, Smalling, etc go. They should be given more game time cos most of them will be the future of the English defence. Terry might be an experienced player but there are plenty of others who are better than him as captain (ie, Gerrard).

Terry shouldn't go to the Euros cos he's a ****. Let players like Dawson, Cahill, Jones, Smalling, etc go. They should be given more game time cos most of them will be the future of the English defence. Terry might be an experienced player but there are plenty of others who are better than him as captain (ie, Gerrard).

If thats the reason why you think a player should not go to the euros then players like Rooney and Ashley Cole should also be left behind no? Ridiculous reason.

If thats the reason why you think a player should not go to the euros then players like Rooney and Ashley Cole should also be left behind no? Ridiculous reason.

Was going to post something similar to your response-but simply couldn't be bothered. Not worth the effort