• Yes he should go.

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Yes he should but not at captain.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • No he should be left out.

Votes: 32 45.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If thats the reason why you think a player should not go to the euros then players like Rooney and Ashley Cole should also be left behind no?

Except Rooney cant be really replaced. Terry can, so to drag him along just so he can sit on bench and be disruptive seems counterproductive.

Except Rooney cant be really replaced. Terry can, so to drag him along just so he can sit on bench and be disruptive seems counterproductive.

Not really. We have to take him even if it was to have him on the bench or whatever. Absolutely necessary imo.

Not really a great England fan (being a Scot) and never been a fan of JT.

Maybe Capello should now start looking towards the future, as opposed to the past. Sure, some experienced players are necessary, but IMHO JT and Rio should not be part of that.

To move forward and actually win anything, England need to stand back and take a long, hard look at themselves.

Remember 2001? 5-1 to England against their greatest rivals, Germany (and Germany consider Netherlands their biggest, not England as is suggested by the media). What happened after that? Take a look for yourself. Since then, they have went on to better things, the average age of the national team has declined, and they have propelled players like Kroos, Götze, Müller etc into that team.

So, to sum up. England need to rid of all bad influences in the team (and it would seem that is quite alot?), start fresh with young blood and just be patient.

I think they should wait and see what the public think of him. There are a few black players in the England squad and it might cause a lot of tension

Not really. We have to take him even if it was to have him on the bench or whatever. Absolutely necessary imo.

why is it absolutely necessary to take him? if he was left out of the squad, i'm pretty sure no-one would miss him. And England have plenty of other quality players in the squad who can influence a game.

why is it absolutely necessary to take him? if he was left out of the squad, i'm pretty sure no-one would miss him. And England have plenty of other quality players in the squad who can influence a game.

When on form, he is still one of the best first ball defenders. He gives us an excellent option, and he is better than Lescott or Cahill.

One of Smalling or Jags will likely start, as they are quick covering centre backs. As such either one would form a strong partnership with one of Jones, Terry, Lescott, Cahill. And Jones and Terry are the better 2 of the 4.

Unless he is out of form, or the squad dont want him, then you take him. Makes pure footballing sense

Well, for one his ability to organise a defense is pretty well known. And he's always reliable and rarely lets an opponent get a goal scoring oppurtunity (depending on his position of course as I mentioned earlier-he could be burned a few times), and he's always ready to throw his body on the line aswell. His bravery is second to none. Yes we do have other players-but at times they tend to go missing when they're most needed. Not all-some.

Last edited:
I would take him IMO. His leadership and organizational skills are top notch. The only way I can see him not going is if he is drastically out of form or injured. Regardless of his off-field troubles, he is one of the top centre backs we have, whether he is starting or not, he will surely drive others in the squad to do better.

It would be nothing new for team to fall apart because of racist BS - think Dutch teams in late 90s/early 2000s - fantastic players, **** results because of internal drama that never saw the light of day until it was too late.

Would be a shame to see the same thing happen, especially since this Euro will be pretty much first time since Seaman retired when England actually plays with goalkeeper, lol.

Like the OP says, he's innocent, and is until proven otherwise. John Terry is undoubtedly the most natural leader, and best defender as far as English players are concerned, so IMO he should lead England in the summer.

However, I think the England captaincy receives too much hype. The best, and most effective England line-up would include players from 4, 5, 6 different clubs. I don't understand how anyone can expect a group of 23 players - who play with each other 10 times a year - to respect and look-up to any one player and accept him as their leader. When I think of the likes of John Terry and Steven Gerrard for Chelsea and Liverpool respectively, I think of them being right at the very top. They're extremely influential, often more than the manager, and respected. They're above everyone else. Whereas for England, I don't think any modern-day footballer can have that effect.

If Terry's fit, and has the respect of the squad, he should both start, and lead England to European glory >.>
The media and fans should leave the decisions to Fabio and the FA. Give less distractions to the squad, because they're going to ruin the national football team, again, with their extreme expectations and constant demoralization anyway.

After the summer, if he's found guilty then he should be stripped of both the England and Chelsea captaincy. It would be a disgrace if he wasn't.

Last edited:
Thing is when it comes to captaincy. If you're an international....surely you'd have the ability to inspire yourself? If I was playing for my country I'd be inspired before kick-off

The captaincy has no relevance in my opinion. **** it, give it to Joe Hart

The captaincy has no relevance in my opinion. **** it, give it to Joe Hart

Why not? He's been outstanding for City and has been the reason (on more than one occassion) they've won important games. Been fantastic this season. He would take a lot pressure off the defence

Thing is when it comes to captaincy. If you're an international....surely you'd have the ability to inspire yourself? If I was playing for my country I'd be inspired before kick-off

You'd think. But , meh, , when i recall basically every single tournament in last 10-15 years, often the biggest stars play the most ******, uninspiried, undetermined football, while i still remembered how they were willing to break a leg for their club teams just few months earlier. Applies to all teams, of course. They often just lack that 'spark'.

Being able to motivate yourself for extra effort after the terror of 9 month season might just be the key that separates successful national sides from not so succesful.

You'd think. But , meh, , when i recall basically every single tournament in last 10-15 years, often the biggest stars play the most ******, uninspiried, undetermined football, while i still remembered how they were willing to break a leg for their club teams just few months earlier. Applies to all teams, of course. They often just lack that 'spark'.

Being able to motivate yourself for extra effort after the terror of 9 month season might just be the key that separates successful national sides from not so succesful.

Think Beckham is definately a massive exception. Gave all for both club and country. His face when the free kick againt Greece went spoke huge volumes. I still miss seeing him in the England shirt.

I’d still take him but he might be a liability. Who knows what his mindset will be? Also, what if Ferdinand (Rio) is fit (unlikely), would there be animosity between them?

I’d still take him but he might be a liability. Who knows what his mindset will be? Also, what if Ferdinand (Rio) is fit (unlikely), would there be animosity between them?

Hard to say. Rio could either await the result of the case and be the model professional that he is and continue to do or his job, or he may feel he's unable to work with him. I wouldn't like to be in his situation at all. I'm not even going to contomplate saying he should just get on with his job as I feel that will be unfair on him. Either way it's going to be very very awkward in the dressing room.