Sir Goalalot ( 14.3.1 ) 4-2-3-1

• Thread starter Thread starter TheWibe
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 956K
wow only 23 goals behind hart... i aws there after abut 10games this season with WBA xD.

Going to try the tweak aswell to see how it fairs :D :D

(I feel reignited)

And the Premier League is mine on the last day of the season! :)..

View attachment 666877

Still got the Europa League Finals and FA Cup Finals to do , but hopefully those go just as good as this, heh.

Once again, awesome tactic Wibe, hopefully I don't let up next season, and it's good to be back in Champions League play cause if i didn't make it this year, Aguero and De Bruyne would have totally asked for a transfer, lol.

Are you using only the counter version?

Are you using only the counter version?

Yep from the 2nd half of the season onward it was just the Counter version (Probably more than that, as I stopped using the Favorite version very early in the season as it wasn't working good), the last 10-12 games or so, I made a slight modification based on what a poster mentioned here that worked quite well for my make-up.

I removed Drop Deeper, and instead did Push Higher Up, and made one of my Central Defenders, the DCL, a Stopper (X) instead of Cover. That minor tweak worked great and made me a bit more solid defensively for the remainder of the games I had.

I'll make sure to include the screenies in my 2017/2018 season recap, but just finished the Europa League Final, and won it 3-2!. Crazy game... Had to take a gamble and rest some of my starters because I have a FA Cup Final against Manchester United in 2 days, and fell behind 1-0 on a terrible mis-read by one of my central defenders (my regular starters too, which made me even more annoyed, lol) from a lob pass to a Liverpool striker who then dribbled it down 20 more yards for an easy goal, lol. Came roaring back a few minutes later, to tie at 1 though, than took the lead 2-1 off a corner set piece scored by Jordan Henderson. Even better someone from Liverpool got their 2nd yellow around the 27-28th minute mark, so they were down to 10 man from than on...

Naturally, had to make hard on myself in the 2nd half, as Henderson got 2 yellows within a span of like 5-10 minutes, so with about 32 minutes left in the game, and now we're both down to 10 man, lol. They tied it at 2, on a silly misplaced pass by my 19 year Wing Back prospect (the downside of playing some back-ups in this game), and than around 78th minute decided to put one of my key starters in, De Bruyne, and the guy scores in injury time at the 91 minute mark, and I won 3-2, lol.

Pretty amazing game.. We'll see what happens with Manchester United now for the FA Cup Final.

wow only 23 goals behind hart... i aws there after abut 10games this season with WBA xD.

Going to try the tweak aswell to see how it fairs :D :D

(I feel reignited)

Nice let me know how it goes.. Keep in mind though that Defensive Tweak I didn't do till pretty late in the Season. I would say from the Europa League Quaterfinals on ward, so that's about 10-15 games total I think, but it still did wonders though that's for sure.

I can post screenshots of my 2 main central defenders if you're interested, but with them and Hart, yea I had a pretty solid back line. Plus, David Alba was a huge pick-up for me and helped solidified that Backfield as well, guess I was lucky that I had him at Bayern Munich (coached them for 2 seasons before moving on to Man City this year), so it was easy to bring him over to my team even though I wasn't in the Champions League this season.

Ohh another thing I did towards the 2nd half of the season I started to pay more attention to what my Assistant was saying during the course of the match, since he has a 15 in tactical knowledge, it's pretty reliable. When my Assistant started saying the AML or AMR needed to be closed down or marked, I would usually follow that advice, and if I played a team with just one striker, I will most of the time always choose to closed down that striker. If it was 2 strikers, I'd wait until my assistant pointed out the more dangerous one, or if I can figure it out by the highlights it shows me, and close down and man mark that one.

The hardest thing to figure out was what to do with 4.5/5 star wingers, that teams like Arsenal, Chelsea, and Man U had.. In those instances, I always closed them down, but more importantly man marked both wingers if they were in the AML/AMR position. This way if they swapped flanks (which most of these teams love doing), the coverage is still there.

I also never Man Marked the ML or MRs, or even the MCL, or MCRs... However, if my assistant mention that they needed to be closed down, I normally followed their advice. (since the tactics pre-opposition doesn't have those position closed down)

Keep in mind there's only so much you can do, cause even the Man Mark coverage, the star wingers on those big teams were still really dangerous.. (Man it ain't fun dealing with Hazard in his prime now, lol since he's 26, haha)

with the push up higher tweak did u also have offside trap?

Nope, that I kept off, it's a risk I know, but the tactic that's in the OP now doesn't have off-side trap anymore either, so tried to adjust as little as possible. (Plus with a Cover/Stopper combo not sure if Offside trap would be wise, since one defender is always moving up towards the ball, lol)

Push Higher Up and changing a defender to Stopper was the only tweaking I was really willing to do as even before that tweak I was having a great season in general.

Last edited:
Class tactic for the most part, using the counter version only days of blending time and won 7-1 away.
Depends on the opposition + your team.

If you play united vs lower table team you win regardless of the tactic used.

Im playing leeds, had 4 games chelsea, city, united + random all away.

1 goal scored under 10 shots per total aka less than 3 shots on goal per game.

And my team is far from being a bad one.

Since I've been keeping a little interesting AAR of my 2017/2018 season as Man City, figured I'd showcase the FA Cup Final I just had against Manchester United as it was some game.

2018 FA Cup Final:
Manchester City vs Manchester United:

Formations at the beginning:
View attachment 345920

This is mainly the Starting 11 I've been going with, however, I had to rest my starting Right WingBack Marc Bartra as he was at 91% and tired since he played the entire Europa League Finals against Liverpool 2 days earlier: (while i was able to either sub out, or spot rest most of my other starters for that game)
View attachment 345919

Didn't want risk starting him, since the Right Back's job will be to Man Mark, Adnan Januzaji who has developed into a fine player in my game for ManU:
View attachment 345918

And so the game begins...

Off a free kick, Aguero places it perfectly for De Bruyne, but De Gea (whose been stellar for ManU all season), makes a amazing save, however as you see in the other corner it was all blue there, so an easy goal off the rebound by Marquinhos (whose developed into one of my star studded Central Defenders for me since I gave him a chance to start this season, and more importantly a transfer target I tried to so hard to go after when I was coached at Bayern Munich, but the AI wouldn't b udge, however didn't have to worry about that now, heh.)

View attachment 345917View attachment 345916

Thus off a roaring start, 1-0 this early in, but as I learned with Manchester United all season no lead is ever safe, and they came roaring back too..

One of David Alba's only mistake, dribbles right into Juanuzaji, who than plays a quick 1-2 to Javi Martinez, and goes on the run, and hits a fluke cross that bounces off Hart and into the net, and it's all tied at 1

Than, another collapse in my transition back to offense on a counter, ball got intercepted again and they countered the counter, lol.. Hart makes a Brilliant save against Juan Mata, but as you can see Fellaini (where unlike real life, didn't have a falling out with Man Utd, since I hear nothing but LVG wanting to get rid of him lol) right behind him, for the easy rebound goal, down 2-1..

View attachment 345915View attachment 345914View attachment 345913

So things didn't look good, but leave it to the captain Sergio Aguero to pitch in with an equalizer right before the half:

View attachment 345912View attachment 345911
View attachment 345910View attachment 345909

So that was in the first half alone...

Now the 2nd half starts of with a pretty big bang, Fellaini gets sent off for getting his 2nd yellow mere seconds into the half..

View attachment 345908

So I thought it would put me in the driver's seat, and than this happens..

Ugh Rooney....

View attachment 345907

But Joe Hart comes up big time save.. (yea the ball got deflected there, couldn't get a good screenshot on that, lol)

View attachment 345906

So, can I get the magic moment? Eventually I did, James Rodriguez finally earned the contract extension I gave him earlier in the season, lol..

View attachment 345905View attachment 345904

View attachment 345903View attachment 345902

View attachment 345901

So thinking that was it right, of course not.. Man United still threaten at times, the biggest threat was a break away that Juan Mata got, and my 2nd substitute Central Midfielder made an amazing stop on him as he hustled all the way back:

View attachment 345900View attachment 345899

View attachment 345898View attachment 345897

They weren't done yet... At this point not sure who was at the disadvantage considering they've playing the 10 man the entire 2nd half basically, lol..

Another silly ball intercepted from a Set piece corner by a solid Javi Martinez (who I know very well since he was my starting DM when I coached Bayern Munich the last 2 seasons before taking the Man City job, as I played a 4-1-4-1 there) who they got in the January transfer window off Bayern for 48 million.

View attachment 345896View attachment 345895

Once again Mata's off the races with a cross to a wide open Walbeck ..

View attachment 345894View attachment 345893

Walbeck shoots, but Hart comes up with a big save again :)

View attachment 345892View attachment 345891

And that was all the attack they mustered as finally whistle blew!

View attachment 345890View attachment 345889

Final Score:
View attachment 345888

So indeed what a finish to a great season.. Techincally I got a treble since I won the League, FA Cup and Europa League, however it I say it's a minor treble, cause it wasn't the Champions League ;)... Hopefully that will be next season. Got a lot decisions to make which I'll talk about in the season recap post that will follow shortly after this.

Well hope you enjoyed the little AAR, and as always Wibe great tactic, wouldn't have gotten this far without it man :)

is anyone else finding that they are missing loads of ccc, i havent scored in 5 games now and im with atletico madrid :/. if anyone knows how to sort this probably can you please help me

First a little back story...

I started the game in the 2013/2014 season as unemployed, and let the pieces fall where they may... I gave myself a German Nationality, but as a former International Player, so in the hopes it was going to be easier landing a job with the bigger teams eventually (As I'm not quite into the small market club playing honestly). Thus my first actual season as Head Coach was the 2014/2015 one with Stugart in the German League and was having a decent season, by January we were in 7th place, but decided when AC Milan opened up in Italy to apply for that job, and got it. So left mid-season to coach AC Milan for the rest of that season, brought them from 14th place to 5th place and a qualification into the Europa League the following year. (Overall I didn't like Italy, all the co-ownership stuff was annoying, lol) However, a big opportunity opened up back in Germany, as Bayern Munich had a off year and didn't win the league and finished 2nd thus they fired the coach (Pep already left the season before to coach the Spanish National Team in my game), so applied for that job in the off-season and got it. Spent 2 years there, and won the League and Pokal the first season, but lost in the Q-Finals of Champions League. The following season Won the League again, but lost in the Pokal and Champions League final to ironically Manchester United, heh.

So was down to my last year of my contract there and the board didn't want to enter into contact talks yet, so was worried, but still carried on cause nothing opened. Until now, Manchester City had a off year, they finished in 7th barley qualifying for the Europa League (after being stellar for all seasons before in my game) and Pellegrini retired. This opened up an opportunity, cause I knew the quality they had, and I was itching to try this 4-2-3-1 tactic and also itching to coach in the Premier League, so it was too good to pass up on, thus applied for the job. They offered me a 3 year contract, but got them to make it 4 years ;), and now here's the 2017/2018 of Manchester City.

2017/2018 Manchester City Season Recap with Wibe's Counter Tactic:

Once again, towards the end of the season, the only tweak I made was this:

View attachment 345887

Changed Drop Deeper to Push Higher Up, and finally made one of my CDs a Stopper instead of Cover, but everything is exactly like Wibe's new counter tactic that's in the first post.

2017/2018 Premier League End of Season Table:

View attachment 345886

Won the League as mentioned on the last day of the season with a convincing 4-0 win.

Europa League Final:
View attachment 345871

FA Cup Final:
View attachment 345870

The Fixtures for the 2017/2018 Season:

View attachment 345885View attachment 345884View attachment 345883

Stats:
Career Years by Aguero and De Bruyne I'm sure thanks to this tactic :)

View attachment 345882View attachment 345881

Finally the rest of the squad:

View attachment 345880

And the end of season review from the Board, looks like I had a successful first season with them:)

View attachment 345872

Now decisions, decisions for the off-season... I'm really tempted on keeping Bartra a solid back-up to my central defensive line, which means I have to see if I can find a stellar Right Wing Back as my 20 old prospect below that I picked up during the January window is not quite ready yet, but almost there:

View attachment 345879View attachment 345869

I also have a solid duo coming back from Loan for next season that I think are ready to crack the first team next year:

View attachment 345878View attachment 345877

Thus my thinking is perhaps to sell Antoine Griezmann (lost his left winger starting job my 60 million signing of Dorin Rotariu screenie below) and Jovetic (who I hardly used) to make room for those 2 above.

View attachment 345868View attachment 345876View attachment 345875

Finally I may be thinking about grabbing another solid midfielder as Strootman was a nice pick up for me in the January Window from Real Madrid (they got him from Roma in 2013/2014 season in this game), but he's too injury prone:

View attachment 345874View attachment 345873

So indeed, lots of decision to come I say :)

And that's all for now on the season, hope everyone enjoyed it! I probably won't be as detailed in my 2nd season as Man City with this tactic as these AARs are pretty time consuming, and I'd rather just play, but felt since I started it this season, it was a good thing to finish it, heh :).

Wibe,

I'm gonna try the Fitness/Low Training but the only difference is still keep the "Rest" after games ticked, as I'm worried it's to much to have them both unticked. As I think you're right Fitness does play a good part in a Counter tactic, so I think it can work.

Plus having it at Low, means the individual training can be a tad higher level I believe which means players may develop a bit faster.

is anyone else finding that they are missing loads of ccc, i havent scored in 5 games now and im with atletico madrid :/. if anyone knows how to sort this probably can you please help me

Honestly I think it's the silly match engine playing it's wonderful games, as that's happened to me too, and can't never explain that. The key I guess is just not to have to many of them, lol.

Back