STAND FREE WHEREVER YOU MAY BE - And you thought Celtic beating Barca was something!

• Thread starter Thread starter Mr_Grieves
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1K
  • Views Views 405K
He explained why both players won't play. In two years time they will be too old to compete!!
How can a player be too old to compete? I've seen 34 and 35 year-olds play internationally. Them, especially Rhodes, are starters and you don't know they're going to decline rapidly. OK, McGinn doesn't have the stamina anymore but Rhodes is perfectly fine.

How can a player be too old to compete? I've seen 34 and 35 year-olds play internationally. Them, especially Rhodes, are starters and you don't know they're going to decline rapidly. OK, McGinn doesn't have the stamina anymore but Rhodes is perfectly fine.

Fair enough dude but i disagree, i have no doubt that Rhodes will still be a great player in 2 years but not for the European Championships. I say i have to agree with Stonecold, try and get younger blood through in time for the Euros. Bigger picture and all that!!

Fair enough dude but i disagree, i have no doubt that Rhodes will still be a great player in 2 years but not for the European Championships. I say i have to agree with Stonecold, try and get younger blood through in time for the Euros. Bigger picture and all that!!
I agree there's a bigger picture, but if you have someone brilliant, like Rhodes, it's more beneficial to use them as long as possible, the quality and experience of such a player can help the youngsters as well. I hope he has someone just as good lined up, otherwise he may lack fire power. I agree if it's two backup players but I believe you need your strongest team representing your country.

Scotland

Changes for 2022-2024

GK
unchanged

Defence
I've promoted Fotheringham to starting and Danny Wilson will drop to back up. Despite only being 30 i can't wait to get my star defender on the go but i may still use Danny for the trickier games.

Midfield
George Clark, Stewart Kidd & Lewis Kidd comes into the team but will be back up to the regular 3
View attachment 324328View attachment 324329View attachment 324330

Forward
With Rhodes gone its a fight between Steve Cairney and Steve Macari. A ex Rangers youngster Vs Celtics main forward. The press are clambering for Martin Nelson who's not progressed from his Motherwell days so Denny Jonstone from Leicester is the experienced back up to our young guns while we always have Derek Sneddon if need be.

View attachment 324331View attachment 324332

View attachment 324333
Legend Dropped
View attachment 324334

Tartan army fans gave a mixed response to the news that Scotland's

record goals scorer Jordan Rhodes has been dropped his international career appears to be over. "Strikers who are renowned poachers like Jordan would be able to carry on longer as you don't loose that killer instinct to put away goals but his age is only part of my choice. His goalscoring slowed down through 2022. No goals in the warm up friendlys then he went missing when we really needed him against the Czechs. With the world cup qualifiers coming up i felt it was a perfect time to give Cairney and Macari there shots up front both proving to be exciting forwards who will be involved with the international fold in years to come" Not everyone was impressed with the decision. "How can a player be too old to compete? I've seen 34 and 35 year-olds play internationally" Not all fans felt this way as some were looking to the future Scotland strikers "i have no doubt that Rhodes will still be a great player in 2 years but not for the European Championships" Although im hoping not to have to call up Rhodes again unless he retires from international football i will never totally rule a player out for the national team. Fabio Canavaro, Andri Schevchenko, Andri Pirlo and of corse Roger Miller have shown what older players can do on a International level but i feel its time for Cairney and Macari

Season preview 2022/23
Best in the World

Targets
The squad has taken a few hits with players moving onto pasterns new so a repeat of last season will be amazing. Still have to crack 100 points and +100 goal diffeerence in the same season. Regaining a Scottish Treble is a MUST after only winning 1 of the last 4 cups on offer.

League - Winner
Scottish Cup - Winner
Scottish League Cup - Winner
Europe - Champions league - Quarter Finals
Euro Super cup - Winner
World Club Cup - Winner

Summer news
The traditional mass manager change after a World Cup

Manager changes
Chris Coleman - Dunfermline
Aykut Kocaman - Man City
David Moyes - Man Utd - Told you he was useless!
Steven Gerrard - Porto
Steven Calderwell - Hibs
Malky Mackay - Motherwell
Roberto Mancini - Leverkusen - Resigned form England
Neil Lennon - Tottenham
Sascha Lewandowski - Germany
Vincenzo Montella - England
Leonid Slutski - Russia
Vitor Pereira - Portugul

Transfers

Top June and July Transfers
View attachment 324522View attachment 324523

Top SPL Transfers
Plenty money coming in for some smaller teams.
View attachment 324524View attachment 324525

First team 2022
Provisional
View attachment 324526

With Nanclares forcing a move through and Lecomte's Fame taking him home to France. Attacking line up stays the same. Rejected offers for Elias, Bamba, Loeffen and Cabestany. Will bigger, better and acceptable offers come in? Time will tell.

Pre Season

Friendlys

Aberdeen 1-2 Hibs

Barcelona 4-1 Aberdeen

Carlisle 2-5 Aberdeen

Aberdeen 0-0 Man City

Hull 1-2 Aberdeen

PSV 2-3 Aberdeen

Aberdeen 3-3 Newcastle

Aberdeen 1-1 Porto

Northampton 0-5 Aberdeen

Aberdeen Transfers

View attachment 324719

In

Armand Essomba - Free - MC - 4*
View attachment 324720

Our latest addition off the Spanish Armada. Added to our center of midfield for a replacement originally for Bamba who i thought would leave but in the end looks like he'll be depth for former back up Ross Barkley

Out

Oliver Hansson - Celtic - £5m
Was at Celtic last season and they took out there option to buy him for £5m

Cristian - Levante - £6.5m
Another player sealing a full time move after an impressive season on loan

Max Lecomte - Bordeaux - £10.5m
Max's time at Aberdeen was running out as Liam Fotheringham was approaching his time for 1st team action. Lecomte stared for France at the World cup in the summer and i figured his value would never reach these heights again so decided to let him go now.

Oscar Nanclares - Levekusen - £15m
I set his fee at £15m as i felt he was expendable and had been making noises for 6 months about moving onto bigger and better things. Never looked like a "Superstar" so such a huge fee I'll rely on my depth in this position and give Stephen Grant some game time.

Ross Barkley - Wigan - £6m
£6m for a back up! Any day mate!

A further 5 youngsters who were not looking good enough to make the grade as 1st team Aberdeen players were sold.

5 Youngsters leave on loan, Enzio Lupson was recalled for the exiting defenders.

This might not be the end of our activity's. Mostly dependent on offers for our own players as im quite happy with the size of the squad.

P'S Still no sign of a new or expansion for our stadium.

Chris Keogh - 131 games and 8 goals
The Irish international ended his 5 and a half year stay at Pittodrie.
Worked his way into the 1st team before better youth started coming through forcing him to more to Aston Villa on loan last season and after returning in the summer he failed to win a place back in the team regularly so he was sold to Middlesbrough for £6m

could you post a few screen shots so I can see how Boro are doing?

just read thru the entire story!!! Amazing stuff!!

A Decade of Destruction

A quick update on how my not so quick 10 years at Pittodrie & Scotland have gone

Played 571
Won 396
Drawn 96
Lost 79
Win % 69

Trophys
Champions League *2
World Club Cup *1
Euro Super Cup *1
SPL * 5
Scottish Cup *6
League Cup *4

Overall Best 11
View attachment 325686

Only player i would add is Chris Keogh rather than Max Lecomte

Had problems with Steam all weekend hence the lack of updates. Should be back to normal after tonight!

August

Winning and Unbeaten run reaches its 1st birthday
Form dips as the month goes on.

Fixtures

Aberdeen 3-0 Dundee
Cabestany
Loeffen
Bamba

Oh jeez with all that time passing I'd almost forgotten. That's 36 wins in a row

Hibs 1-3 Aberdeen
Loeffen 2
Glowacki

And that's 42 games unbeaten. Hibs came our firing in the second half but for the second match in a row we were 3 goals clear at half time and the game was won.

Aberdeen 2-0 Kilmarnock
Cabestany
Kardum

Loeffen went of early with a knock and we struggled there after to get in front.

Scottish League Cup 2nd Round
Aberdeen 2-1 Ayr Utd
Hugo 2

This may have been our U19 team but this was a very poor performance. We even had to fight from behind after Ayr took a 5th minute lead.

League
View attachment 326059

Perfect start. Worrying performance against Kilmarnock but our winning and Unbeaten run in the SPL is now a year old.

Player of the month
Jens Kardum
View attachment 326060

Has had a quiet 12 months but get a mention after his 50th Dons goal in the SPL

Scotland

Costa Rica 0-3 Scotland
Sneddon 2
Cairney

View attachment 326061

Our new looks strike force made a positive start

Champions League Group Stage Draw
View attachment 326481

Aberdeen Return to top seeds after regaining the Champions League

1st Seeds
View attachment 326477

Aberdeen in Group G

No easy games but i don't want Chelsea, Paris SG or Juventus

2nd Seeds
View attachment 326478

These two teams met in the Europa League in 2007. Many friends had a eventful few days in Spain. Respected team!

[video=youtube;SokUQdxQNAw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SokUQdxQNAw[/video]

Like last season I'd take anyone but Liverpool in the 3rd round

3rd Seeds
View attachment 326479

Benfica will be a tricky tie. With plenty good players and Steve McLaren at the helm

Hearts are lurking around in here but we can't draw them. Nobody else in the 4th group concerns me

4th seeds
View attachment 326480

Another former Europa League rival Kobenhavn should be the whipping boys judging by our 2007 meeting

[video=youtube;4XQAH0IySz0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XQAH0IySz0[/video]

Hearts get Barcelona, Marseilles, Panithinaikos in Group A

View attachment 326482
European Champions get a good draw

The Dons will begin the defense of the Champions League in a group they will be expected to qualify from. Big European names Like Athletico Madrid and Benfica will not be easy opposition but are not potential challengers for Europes biggest prize. Hearts join Aberdeen in the Group phase but there is little expectation of them to get anything but last place from a tricky group. "Scotland needs these teams reaching the Group phase to start taking advantage of the HUGE financial benefits you receive for doing so. Aberdeen are carrying the flag but Hearts have done as good a job to reach this phase and deserve recognition for overcome the Old Firm sides who should be doing MUCH better than they currently are"

Great start to the season mate, I think you'll have no problems with your Champions League group judging of your past successes. Any chance of seeing the league qualification places and the nation coefficients?

Great start to the season mate, I think you'll have no problems with your Champions League group judging of your past successes. Any chance of seeing the league qualification places and the nation coefficients?

Were still a long way off Holland for 8th place and realisticly need the Old Firm to pull there finger out and start doing well and bringing in the bacon for Scottish Ranking points

View attachment 326528View attachment 326529

European Super Cup 2022
View attachment 326678

At Atleti Azzurru d'Italia
View attachment 326679

Aberdeen Vs Porto
View attachment 326680View attachment 326681

Team News
View attachment 326682

Aberdeen
Par Backstrom is still tired from the work out at Ayr so he's out of the squad. 100% fit elsewhere

Porto
Porto boss Stevie Gerrard is without star midfielder Ruben Lopes is banned while 2 other decent squad players are also missing.

The Match

1st Half

15 - Goal - Loeffen
A perfect start and the Dons take a deserved lead

32 - Goal - Bamba

33 - Goal - Martins

45 - Goal - Fierro

47 - Goal - Selimovic

HT Aberdeen 2-3 Porto
****** ****. This is a all time low for us. 2-0 up and cruising to ending the half 3-2 down. These boys will feel my wrath at half time

2nd Half

50 - Goal - Loeffen
Vital strike to get us back into the game

54 - Goal - Fierro
A controversial penalty see's the Mexican hero put Porto back in front

81 - Missed Pen - Elias
Has our chance just passed?

92 - Goal - David
Just as it looked as if we were going to loose our first major final sub midfielder David bangs home a goal that will surely take this game to extra time.

93 - Goal - Fierro
Or Perhaps not. I hate Fierro but he's won the cup for Porto with this strike

FT Aberdeen 4-5 Porto

View attachment 326683

Some Players really let me down tonight. Cabestany, Pierce and Monnard all long time stars of my team who put in very sub standard efforts with a trophy on the line. "I know im a bad looser but when you let in 5 goals in a final you deserve to loose and be left with a lot of questions about how much your current squad can do"

You've done well recently. Even Barcelona being a force with the whalley with a brolly at the helm is laughable.

Back