Steve Jobs dies aged 56

I had to use them in my design course as well. But the fact is that these courses ran just fine before the latest apple macs by just using PC. There's nothing a mac has brought along that a PC couldn't already do. These people saying a mac runs faster need to put more RAM in their PC.

What a bullshit. I have been using a Macintosh as long as I can remember.

Especially for design and web development it's a lot more practical. Why? Well, for one, all the Adobe programs actually use all cores when using a Macintosh. On Windows it's only one which can be used.

Besides, this is just a personal preference really, but I like my Mac a lot more than I have ever liked a PC. The working experience is different and much more pleasant in my opinion.

Anyhow, RIP Steve Jobs.

Well the MP3 would be the life changing one, not the ipod. The ipod really just added playlists, a screen, itunes etc. All improvements on the mp3 but the ability to listen to music on the move without holding a massive walkman was already achieved.

But again it isn't life changing. I love my ipod (it's definately the best apple product), but it isn't as such as necessity. Sure walking places would be much more boring but i'm sure my life would go on without it?

MP3's sucked until the iPod came out.

I'm not going to argue about what's life changing because it's a very subjective topic and a pretty boring one too.

He was diagnosed with the form of Pancreatic Cancer that was treatable and had a high survival rate (~95%). But instead of having the surgery when he was supposed to he spent a year trying natural methods to cure it. In that time the tumour progressed which caused his survival rate to fall.

Yeah I understood the article I just couldn't believe he made such a stupid decision. How can anyone think that you can cure cancer with a 'special diet' unless you are completely oblivious to what cancer is!

A true legend, R.I.P. Just hope people remember the good times rather than the rows with Adobe.

Oh wow. Some of you people really need to educate yourself on what Jobs did in his life before writing him off as being 'not world-changing'. He might not have invented it, but his efforts in proliferating the spread of GUI system computers finally meant that you could have affordable computers in every home which actually worked like computers nowadays. The first Macintosh completely revolutionised home computers to the point where we wouldn't be sitting here, typing these words, without it. Command-line interfaces could never work like this.

And of course with that comes a whole heap of other things. No fast news, no proper internet browsing. No eBay, no Amazon, no Twitter, no Facebook. More or less every house has a computer which has completely changed the ways in which we do the simplest things: get food, obtain luxury items, communicate with others, whatever.

This is largely attributable to Jobs himself. If he hasn't changed the world, god knows who has.

Oh wow. Some of you people really need to educate yourself on what Jobs did in his life before writing him off as being 'not world-changing'. He might not have invented it, but his efforts in proliferating the spread of GUI system computers finally meant that you could have affordable computers in every home which actually worked like computers nowadays. .The first Macintosh completely revolutionised home computers to the point where we wouldn't be sitting here, typing these words, without it Command-line interfaces could never work like this.

And of course with that comes a whole heap of other things. No fast news, no proper internet browsing. No eBay, no Amazon, no Twitter, no Facebook. More or less every house has a computer which has completely changed the ways in which we do the simplest things: get food, obtain luxury items, communicate with others, whatever.

This is largely attributable to Jobs himself. If he hasn't changed the world, god knows who has.

The first bolded part shows why the second bolded part is highly unlikely.

Didn't like the guy, not fond of all the 5 or 6 new iPhone updates every year, but I don't blame Apple for that, more look down on the fanboys who buy anything with the Apple logo on it. Still of course, rest in peace and such.

You clearly know literally nothing about the history of PC's.

I guess I'm just wrong, and you're right, and I quite literally don't know nothing, then.

Crazy how I literally know nothing about the history of PC's if I don't believe we wouldn't have PC's by now without the Macintosh, lmao

Last edited:
I guess I'm just wrong, and you're right, and I quite literally don't know nothing, then.

Well tell me, do you actually know anything about the development of PC's in the 80's? Computer mouses were brought to market by Apple amongst lots of other things.

Crazy how I literally know nothing about the history of PC's if I don't believe we wouldn't have PC's by now without the Macintosh,
lmao

Not in this guise, we wouldn't. It's entirely possible GUIs wouldn't have stuck, seeing as they had all failed commercially up until the Macintosh. Only Jobs had the foresight and skill to make a product so advanced stick.

Well tell me, do you actually know anything about the development of PC's in the 80's? Computer mouses were brought to market by Apple amongst lots of other things.

They weren't invented by them and were very much likely to be brought to the market at a later time. And what are these "lots of other things" if I may ask?

They weren't invented by them and were very much likely to be brought to the market at a later time. And what are these "lots of other things" if I may ask?

You say it like it was a done deal, but the fact is only Jobs really had the vision to introduce the computer as anything more than an oddity that nerds used in basements. He saw the computer being used by anyone and everyone: nobody else did.

Apple brought through the GUI system, the mouse, Apple Lisa, OSX, properly good single tower desktops, and a whole huge bunch of handheld devices. There are more, but those are off the top of my head.

The mouse we know today was initially developed by Apple based on a device already created yes, however it was expensive to produce and complicated. The mouse with the first Macintosh was cheap and easy to use.

You say it like it was a done deal, but the fact is only Jobs really had the vision to introduce the computer as anything more than an oddity that nerds used in basements. He saw the computer being used by anyone and everyone: nobody else did.

Apple brought through the GUI system, the mouse, Apple Lisa, OSX, properly good single tower desktops, and a whole huge bunch of handheld devices. There are more, but those are off the top of my head.

Thank you, I seriously cba to try and educate people because they are too lazy to do it themselves.

"Bill Gates put a computer in every home, but Steve Jobs put one in every pocket."

Thank you, I seriously cba to try and educate people because they are too lazy to do it themselves.

There it is again. "I'm right, you are wrong", you really aren't the one to accept other peoples opinions, are you?. They did make all these things popular but there's nothing to suggest that we wouldn't all have PC's now without the Macintosh.

There it is again. "I'm right, you are wrong", you really aren't the one to accept other peoples opinions, are you?. They did make all these things popular but there's nothing to suggest that we wouldn't all have PC's now without the Macintosh.

Out of curiosity, who would you consider a hero/world changing?

There's nothing to suggest we wouldn't have telephones without Alexander Bell, but that is hardly an argument.

There's nothing to suggest we wouldn't have telephones without Alexander Bell, but that is hardly an argument.

There's a noticable difference here. Steve Jobs didn't invent the PC, however, Alexander Bell invented the phone.

Out of curiosity, who would you consider a hero/world changing?
Who I would consider world changing? I haven't claimed he hasn't been world changing.
Who would I consider a hero? Certainly not a man who stopped all philantropy programs at his company when he reassumed control. Nelson Mandela is a hero.

Last edited:
Who would I consider a hero? Certainly not a man who stopped all philantropy programs at his company when he reassumed control. Nelson Mandela is a hero.

Can't deny it was effective. Either Jobs stopped the company haemorrhaging money like that, or he just let them continue to lose money and ground.

There's a noticable difference here. Steve Jobs didn't invent the PC, however, Alexander Bell invented the phone.

Who I would consider world changing? I haven't claimed he hasn't been world changing.

some could argue that mandela was a terrorist but that's for another thread ;)

R.I.P Steve Jobs. I believe he has changed the world due to the huge number of people that use products that he helped make. He will be sorely missed