Something that has been bothering me for a while, you know how when it's hot conventional wisdom says to play slower so you don't get as tired. Is there a reverse for cold conditions in FM? Play quicker so you don't suffer from the cold too much?
No, there's no effect like that. I think players do tire quicker in the heat, but that's about as complex as the system is, for now.

No, there's no effect like that. I think players do tire quicker in the heat, but that's about as complex as the system is, for now.

So how does that fit in with the idea of it's harder to play the technical short passing game during the winter months of England? Is that more due to fixture congestion and the state of the pitches?

So how does that fit in with the idea of it's harder to play the technical short passing game during the winter months of England? Is that more due to fixture congestion and the state of the pitches?
Yeah, that's exactly why. It's harder to trap the ball and pass it in poor conditions or on poor pitches.

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2016-tactics/358154-peps-bayern-tactics-2.html

Could do with a quick bit of advice with this tactic. It's been fairly solid defensively but we literally don't score enough goals, which I surprising as it's clearly quite attacking. If possible, is there anything you could suggest to help score more goals? My striker and my SS especially tend to drift in and out of games and if they play poorly I just won't score.

Thanks

Not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes. Any suggestions for improving crossing completion? In my last match (A 1-0 win at home to WBA) my wing back had 41 cross attempts, yet only 3 connected. His crossing is only 13 which might be a factor, but I was specifically wondering what type of crosses would be most effective (whipped, floated, low ect) when playing a lone DLF with an enganche behind, neither of whom are great in the air? Obviously floated seems like the worst, but I'm still unsure on the other two. Also, is there anything else in general you can recommend to improve crossing completion?

View attachment 148123 View attachment 148124

I'm in season 3 but I've only been with Sheffield Wednesday since the end of last season. I struggled to get a tune out of them for a while, not least because we don't have a decent striker. But this 3-1 victory against top-of-the-table Blackburn Rovers began a run of 5 consecutive wins and we're still unbeaten in 7 matches. We play possession football, with the goalkeeper rolling the ball out to the full-backs:

- GK - Distribute to full-backs, Roll it out
- RB - Support, Cross from deep, Cross more often, Cross aim centre
- LB - Attack, Cross from byline, Cross aim far post, Cross more often
- WM(R) - Support, Cross aim target man
- W(L) - Attack, Cross from byline, Cross aim far post, Cross more often
- Lex Immers is a Shadow Striker_Attack
- Brett Pitman is a Deep-Lying Playmaker_Support

Generally, I have the crosses whipped in, unless I get a note about us winning more headers when I change them to floated. I use floated crosses when either of my 6'4" strikers are playing but they don't suit this formation.

Jonathan Parr overlaps from left back and gets plenty of dangerous crosses in, but they can come from all sides. My most prolific goalscorers are Hall and Centeno on the flanks, tapping or heading in at the far post. Pitman isn't really good enough for the Championship but I have him on loan to alleviate an injury crisis; I'll be looking to sign a new player for the role in the new season. Immers is decent in the build-up and has weighed in with a couple of headed goals during our recent run, which has lifted us up to 8th in the Championship at the mid-season point.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how to reduce the number of times your players get caught offside? My full-backs are the worst offenders when we're pressing the opposition back, but the forwards aren't much better.

Is it just a case of the individual quality of the players and their familiarity with the tactic, or is there something you can actually do to address this issue?

Does anyone know how to reduce the number of times your players get caught offside? My full-backs are the worst offenders when we're pressing the opposition back, but the forwards aren't much better.

Is it just a case of the individual quality of the players and their familiarity with the tactic, or is there something you can actually do to address this issue?
I'm not sure if there is anything, apart from not using Attack duties, which will decrease the runs they make, but also may change your tactic too much.

If it is a regular pattern you're noticing, such as passes to FB-->DM-->CM-->FB (offside!) try and see if it is a timing issue. There are maybe little tweaks to help here.

Going more toward a structured team shape will space the strata out more, so in a way, you're delaying his runs slightly as it'll take a little longer to get forward all the way.

If the passes are too slow/players taking too long with the ball, it may be worth increasing the tempo.

Or as I said firstly, maybe switch from (for instance) a FB/A rather to a WB/S.

These can help a bit, but you'll still get offsides whenever the fullback has to check his run. Player decision-making is a little off here as they don't correctly judge when he is going to come back onside. A similar thing applies to forwards as well w.r.t. timing, so tweaking tempo can help. I'm not 100% sure, but I think offsides are a little high in this ME though so you can only do so much.

I have confusing one... I have created this formation:
View attachment 147552

Goal was to control pace of game against teams that play with 2 strikers, to create numbers advantage in backline and put them on backfoot while controling tempo of game... I planed to use this formation when I did not wanted to risk lot. My striker is TM like, but I use him as edited DLF - sup (has hold up ball, hold position and move into channels), and CM-att has move into channels as well. Game plan is mostly to capitalize on CM and CF height and good aerial ability, without too much risk. RB has sit narrow shout, to create variety as RM has stay wider shout by default. Rest of team do not have any extra shouts.
Attack is as planed. I got exactly what I was looking for.

Problem is defense. How in the **** opponent keeps find ways to score on me,mostly in first 15 minutes. And it is sometimes confusing, I really clogged middle, and there is not really space for some short passes, but I mostly concede from passes over the top, where my CB-s are basically not doing ****. And even if they do, they regularly miss headers they supposed to be catching. Now, can anyone explain to me, what the **** is wrong with this defense?

PS
I created three formations on same basic ideas, one has AMC as EGN instead of HB, and same shouts and same basic idea, only with one extra way to attack (idea was same, only against teams that have only one striker), and one where AMC is pused higher up to F9 role on sligthly rigth, right midfielder is then WPM, left is pushed up to AML as INF-sup, CM is changed to RPM and it is attacking formation, where goal is to score. In both I have no issues like one that I have in formation that I have posted. I am using same players and I really do not get what **** is not working and why...

Have you try dropping the push higher up? Maybe also try using an achorman instead as I think he is the most defensive role in the DM position. Lastly, can try plays offside trap if your defenders have very good mental stats.

Droping defensive line would hurt me going forward, and put me on backfoot, and this is not what I want, so this option is not viable. Pushing even higher up probably would not solve problem, as I already have slightly higher D-line duo to control strategy and slightly higher shout. Regarding offside traps, I do not find it useful in this FM, as I do not see difference in how effective my defense is with or without it, for me, it looks same.

I am thinking however about changing the role of DM, or maybe even pushing him to cm strata as CM-d and maybe giving CB-s cover role, and this is what I am going to try, but reason why I posted formation here is to get some idea why in the **** it is giving me so much trouble... I mean, does anybody see some flow in design, as I do not... As I said, second formation that I use has same setup, same instructions, bare the fact that HB is moved to AMC position and acts like EGN, and system works like charm, I do not face such problems defensively... I do not get it...

The HB could be causing unnecessary width and creating space for the two strikers to play in. DM(d) or A could help with keeping things slow and tight at the back. Since you have a DLP(d) you could make the HB more aggressive with a support duty like DM(s).

You might be just right on this, as I was thinking same thing for moment...

Thanks anyway for your thoughts, to both you and Vasili07...

hello! sorry bad english
I have question about team instructions and player instructions
1. When in team instructions i have shorter passing but in my player instructions = more direct passing, What my player to do? He short pass or direct pass?
2. When in team instructions i have shorter passing and in my player instructions = shorter passing, What my player to do?
He use ultra short passing?
3. When in my team instructions have roam from positions and in my player instructions also roam from positions, What my player to do?
He more roam from positions?
4. When in my team instructions have stick the postions but in my player instructions = roam from positions, What my player to do?
How compare team instructions with player instructions? overide or boost instructions? What is more important?
sorry bad english :)

The instructions all stack.

hello! sorry bad english
I have question about team instructions and player instructions
1. When in team instructions i have shorter passing but in my player instructions = more direct passing, What my player to do? He short pass or direct pass?

He'd pass the default length of his role and mentality setting. Team Instruction shifts his passing one way and the Player Instructions shift it the opposite way, cancelling out each other.

2. When in team instructions i have shorter passing and in my player instructions = shorter passing, What my player to do?
He use ultra short passing?

Yes. TI shifts it shorter, and PI also shifts it shorter. So he'd look to play passes much shorter than normal and shorter than having only on of the instructions on.

3. When in my team instructions have roam from positions and in my player instructions also roam from positions, What my player to do?
He more roam from positions?

He's more likely to roam. The TI shifts it out and the PI further shifts it out, so the player will look to roam more often than only having one selected.

4. When in my team instructions have stick the postions but in my player instructions = roam from positions, What my player to do?

They cancel each other out. So TI tells team to roam, but the PI specifically tells him to not roam as often, so he'll roam based on the default of his role and mentality.

How compare team instructions with player instructions? overide or boost instructions? What is more important?
sorry bad english :)

They all stack with each other. If you think in terms of sliders, the PIs and TIs will shift the slider for a certain behaviour one way or the other. I believe (not entirely sure) that the shifts are equal holding role and mentality constant, so if a PI shifts it one way and the TI another, then for that player it would be his default. If both go in the same direction, they increase the likelihood that a player does that behaviour.

The instructions all stack.

He'd pass the default length of his role and mentality setting. Team Instruction shifts his passing one way and the Player Instructions shift it the opposite way, cancelling out each other.

Yes. TI shifts it shorter, and PI also shifts it shorter. So he'd look to play passes much shorter than normal and shorter than having only on of the instructions on.

He's more likely to roam. The TI shifts it out and the PI further shifts it out, so the player will look to roam more often than only having one selected.

They cancel each other out. So TI tells team to roam, but the PI specifically tells him to not roam as often, so he'll roam based on the default of his role and mentality.

They all stack with each other. If you think in terms of sliders, the PIs and TIs will shift the slider for a certain behaviour one way or the other. I believe (not entirely sure) that the shifts are equal holding role and mentality constant, so if a PI shifts it one way and the TI another, then for that player it would be his default. If both go in the same direction, they increase the likelihood that a player does that behaviour.

Thanks so much, i now understand all ;)

All good, except Roaming is an on/off instruction. Roaming TI + PI won't have him roam more.

No worries. It hasn't changed (apart from the fact that we can't see it) from that little tick box we used to have to set it on or off. All those settings/instructions are still basically the same under the hood. They've just been replaced with words instead of sliders and tick boxes.

I don't think I ever used it under the slider system. While I like very fluid setups, I don't really like players roaming. If I could have a very fluid system with the the creative freedom of a highly structured and little to no roaming outside of one or two players. I'd be in heaven.

Last edited:
I don't think I ever used it under the slider system. While I like very fluid setups, I don't really like players roaming. If I could have a very fluid system with the the creative freedom of a highly structured and little to no roaming outside of one or two players. I'd be in heaven.
Roaming is a strange one. On the surface, roaming sounds great. Why wouldn't you want players to roam to find space?

A little while ago, I had a 442 narrow diamond and it just wasn't working as well as I'd hoped. Stubbornly, I didn't take my own advice of watching a match on full for a few minutes. I tweaked and tweaked and just got nowhere. After 10-12 matches, I finally watched a match in full.

It took me 6 minutes to realise my problem. I had basically 3 (2 playmaker roles and a B2B) of the 4 midfielders roaming. Problem was, they all saw the same space and all drifted into that same space. It compressed play and it reduced passing options because 3 players were basically on top of each other.

Roaming is great if used well. :D