Tactics from differant forums {around the world}

• Thread starter Thread starter cragswfc
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 2M
whoa those through ball numbers are crazy... I would kill for a killer ball tactic! I've been playing Crossing Manager for the last two years (this year is near post edition) and now when I see a goal scored from crosses in real life I just stop watching...

can you elaborate a bit on attributes required for positions, esp the CM's - they need some defensive attributes or they're mostly runners/passers/playmakers? thanks!

View attachment 114206View attachment 114205View attachment 114204View attachment 114203View attachment 114202View attachment 114201

I attatched the player filters i use for my team. They are just the general required/important stats for each position you can tweak them to find players to afford/what you need

GK - use any you feel comfortable with or have had experience using and can rely on
my gk's - mathew ryan, freddie woodman

CD(c) - I have my cd's on cover duty and they are required to be pretty quick (or have solid acceleration 13 plus), good anticipation/aggression to quickly cut out opponent counter attacks. Solid tackling and marking abilities. What i am noticing is your GK's CD's and Hb's should have high composure/concentration/decision making skills because there will be games where they will be required to do very little but will need to perform when called upon.
some good PPM's stays back at all times is a good one, plays short simple passes, or none
my players - jamaal lascelles, gustavo gomez, calum chambers, and kerim rekic

wb (s) - stamina, natural fitness, pace, team work, passing and work rate. I have had success with wb's who have these stats + are more defensive/attacking minded. You cannot sacrifice work rate or team work here because they run about 10 miles a game. while on support duty they won't let opposition wingers get in behind them and will provide support in the attacking areas to help stretch opposition defense apart.
i removed tackle harder for these guys in their instructions because i wanted to avoid yellow cards for them as much as possible.
ppm's - hugs line (helps provide width in attack because almost everyone else stays centrally) - don't worry if they have all the usual wb/fb ppms, gets forward whenever possible, runs with ball often, runs with ball down left/right, they can still be effective if they are work horses.
my players - charlie taylor, jake bidwell, adam smith, and carl jenkinson

Hb(d) - these guys sit in front of your cb's and help cut out counter attacks but have the added responsibility of recycling possession. Mostly i prefer mine to be able to win headers, make interceptions and make tackles. These guys will also cover a lot of ground helping to cover wingbacks and cd's.
ppm's holds position. any normal midfield ppm's can work here - plays short simple passes, switches flanks, dictates tempo avoid gets into opposition area, arrives late into opposition area and similar ppm's you want this guy to be the first line of defense against counter attacks.
my players - Rob Holding and Reece Oxford - used the filters to grab these guys. two cb's i am in the process of converting into dm's. You can certainly find better players but i wanted to find younger home grown players for my team.

cm (a)-
natural fitness, off the ball, passing, technique, first touch, decisions, and stamina are really the keys to this position. These guys bomb forward and help track back the entire game. You need high decision making plus passing when playing in these roles because of the high tempo quick passing style. Precise passing helps start counters and keep possession around the opponents 18 yard line. Off the ball and anticipation helps find space and when to make runs from midfield behind the opponents defense. Pace and Finishing help but aren't a deal breakers (chalobah only 10 finishing has 6 goals in 11 games cristante only 11 pace 5 goals in 11 games) they will find themselves 1-1 with keepers often and can get you a fair amount of goals.
ppm's - the combination of cm's I use have literally every ppm you can think of and haven't noticed negative effects. I would avoid stays back at all times.
my players nathaniel chalobah, bryan cristante, marco grujic, and matt ritchie

AP(a) - dribbling, first touch, vision, anticipation, off the ball and acceleration help this player find space to occupy or to pass the ball into. This player is important to breaking down the defense as he can drop a bit deeper into space as the SS's and cm's run past him so he needs to pick out the right player/pass to help keep possession or provide a killer ball. This player also needs good off the ball/acceleration as he will also make runs behind the defense and can find himself in a lot of 1-1 chances throughout the season.
ppm's - i like tries killer balls often, plays one-two's, ayoze has likes to beat offside trap and can be helpful to open the top off of a defense. really try anything you like your playmaker to do
my players - Ayoze perez, Suso, angel correa

SS(a)- Finishing, Off the ball, work rate, composure, decisions and anticipation. You need these guys find space and finish chances. they will provide assists and run the channels freeing up space for others but you want ice cold finishers. You will see your team with a 4 or 5 on 3 and your SS will get the ball around the box and just shot and miss wildly - this will annoy you to no end, so you need good decision makers.
ppm's- likes to beat offside trap, plays one-two's, moves into channels ppm's aren't deal breakers, i had michy batshuayi who doesn't have any ppm's and was really good in this role.
my players - kuki, dele alli, ayoze perez, munir, mario pasalic, adam armstong

I'll add one more item just so you can get a general idea of what these players/roles will do in a game.
View attachment 114199

View attachment 1093502View attachment 1093503View attachment 1093504View attachment 1093505View attachment 1093506View attachment 1093507

I attatched the player filters i use for my team. They are just the general required/important stats for each position you can tweak them to find players to afford/what you need

GK - use any you feel comfortable with or have had experience using and can rely on
my gk's - mathew ryan, freddie woodman

CD(c) - I have my cd's on cover duty and they are required to be pretty quick (or have solid acceleration 13 plus), good anticipation/aggression to quickly cut out opponent counter attacks. Solid tackling and marking abilities. What i am noticing is your GK's CD's and Hb's should have high composure/concentration/decision making skills because there will be games where they will be required to do very little but will need to perform when called upon.
some good PPM's stays back at all times is a good one, plays short simple passes, or none
my players - jamaal lascelles, gustavo gomez, calum chambers, and kerim rekic

wb (s) - stamina, natural fitness, pace, team work, passing and work rate. I have had success with wb's who have these stats + are more defensive/attacking minded. You cannot sacrifice work rate or team work here because they run about 10 miles a game. while on support duty they won't let opposition wingers get in behind them and will provide support in the attacking areas to help stretch opposition defense apart.
i removed tackle harder for these guys in their instructions because i wanted to avoid yellow cards for them as much as possible.
ppm's - hugs line (helps provide width in attack because almost everyone else stays centrally) - don't worry if they have all the usual wb/fb ppms, gets forward whenever possible, runs with ball often, runs with ball down left/right, they can still be effective if they are work horses.
my players - charlie taylor, jake bidwell, adam smith, and carl jenkinson

Hb(d) - these guys sit in front of your cb's and help cut out counter attacks but have the added responsibility of recycling possession. Mostly i prefer mine to be able to win headers, make interceptions and make tackles. These guys will also cover a lot of ground helping to cover wingbacks and cd's.
ppm's holds position. any normal midfield ppm's can work here - plays short simple passes, switches flanks, dictates tempo avoid gets into opposition area, arrives late into opposition area and similar ppm's you want this guy to be the first line of defense against counter attacks.
my players - Rob Holding and Reece Oxford - used the filters to grab these guys. two cb's i am in the process of converting into dm's. You can certainly find better players but i wanted to find younger home grown players for my team.

cm (a)-
natural fitness, off the ball, passing, technique, first touch, decisions, and stamina are really the keys to this position. These guys bomb forward and help track back the entire game. You need high decision making plus passing when playing in these roles because of the high tempo quick passing style. Precise passing helps start counters and keep possession around the opponents 18 yard line. Off the ball and anticipation helps find space and when to make runs from midfield behind the opponents defense. Pace and Finishing help but aren't a deal breakers (chalobah only 10 finishing has 6 goals in 11 games cristante only 11 pace 5 goals in 11 games) they will find themselves 1-1 with keepers often and can get you a fair amount of goals.
ppm's - the combination of cm's I use have literally every ppm you can think of and haven't noticed negative effects. I would avoid stays back at all times.
my players nathaniel chalobah, bryan cristante, marco grujic, and matt ritchie

AP(a) - dribbling, first touch, vision, anticipation, off the ball and acceleration help this player find space to occupy or to pass the ball into. This player is important to breaking down the defense as he can drop a bit deeper into space as the SS's and cm's run past him so he needs to pick out the right player/pass to help keep possession or provide a killer ball. This player also needs good off the ball/acceleration as he will also make runs behind the defense and can find himself in a lot of 1-1 chances throughout the season.
ppm's - i like tries killer balls often, plays one-two's, ayoze has likes to beat offside trap and can be helpful to open the top off of a defense. really try anything you like your playmaker to do
my players - Ayoze perez, Suso, angel correa

SS(a)- Finishing, Off the ball, work rate, composure, decisions and anticipation. You need these guys find space and finish chances. they will provide assists and run the channels freeing up space for others but you want ice cold finishers. You will see your team with a 4 or 5 on 3 and your SS will get the ball around the box and just shot and miss wildly - this will annoy you to no end, so you need good decision makers.
ppm's- likes to beat offside trap, plays one-two's, moves into channels ppm's aren't deal breakers, i had michy batshuayi who doesn't have any ppm's and was really good in this role.
my players - kuki, dele alli, ayoze perez, munir, mario pasalic, adam armstong

I'll add one more item just so you can get a general idea of what these players/roles will do in a game.
View attachment 1093509

thanks mate, very helpful and well written! I'll start to do a bit of squad building and tactic training then give it a proper test for a full season in my brazilian save - Brazil is the ultimate Crossing Manager **** as most teams will play a psycho 4-2-2-2 DM (basically is like playing against 4 DMC's) that destroys any central play...

Had a very brief test in my Toronto FC guinea pig save and the style of football looked very promising (my team is very strong for MLS standard), with Giovinco starring at AP - 5 goals in three games - and showing flair one-on-one, including a nice lob shot to beat the keeper, first time I saw this since FM 2014 :)

It was a home game, against a very defensive team that scored an early goal.

yeah i'm going to have to address attacking defensive minded teams. I wanted to come up with a different approach like lowering the tempo and maybe starting games on overload just to see if i can get an early goal and force opposition to become more attack minded.

wilson pueb

thanks mate, very helpful and well written! I'll start to do a bit of squad building and tactic training then give it a proper test for a full season in my brazilian save - Brazil is the ultimate Crossing Manager **** as most teams will play a psycho 4-2-2-2 DM (basically is like playing against 4 DMC's) that destroys any central play...

Had a very brief test in my Toronto FC guinea pig save and the style of football looked very promising (my team is very strong for MLS standard), with Giovinco starring at AP - 5 goals in three games - and showing flair one-on-one, including a nice lob shot to beat the keeper, first time I saw this since FM 2014 :)

Haha that's nice to hear :D

View attachment 114197

Giovinco is someone i tried to get last season in the summer window to be my AP but he refused to sign with me. Finally in january he would negotiate but only for absurdly high wages like 160kpw.

Please let me know how it works in Brazil against defensive teams galego25 has brought up how this tactic struggled with standard mentality when he played against a defensive team but had better results switching to attacking mentality. I have had better results this season away from home and against bigger teams since most of my players are fluid in the tactic but as always will look for ways i can improve

Was using Mr L Counter Gambit tactic with great success until the last patch went on to try killin my save. Plugged your tactic in and results are outstanding, will post ss later on. Many runs from the five guys forwards offering nice open play in the middle, really solid at the back. It is half season and still have the second part to play, will keep you updated. Good work so far!

Just as an idea, do you think it would be possible to use two wide midfielders instead of the central midfielders? I had great success in FM16 with such a formation. Of course the style of play would be a little different, but perhaps it could be an alternative for when the main tactic isn't producing? Here is what I used in FM16, haven't had the chance to revisit it in FM17 yet:

image.jpg

Last edited:
Was using Mr L Counter Gambit tactic with great success until the last patch went on to try killin my save. Plugged your tactic in and results are outstanding, will post ss later on. Many runs from the five guys forwards offering nice open play in the middle, really solid at the back. It is half season and still have the second part to play, will keep you updated. Good work so far!

Awesome !

looking forward to seeing your results and key players:D

Haha that's nice to hear :D

View attachment 1093511

Giovinco is someone i tried to get last season in the summer window to be my AP but he refused to sign with me. Finally in january he would negotiate but only for absurdly high wages like 160kpw.

Please let me know how it works in Brazil against defensive teams galego25 has brought up how this tactic struggled with standard mentality when he played against a defensive team but had better results switching to attacking mentality. I have had better results this season away from home and against bigger teams since most of my players are fluid in the tactic but as always will look for ways i can improve

will do, my go-to tactic is a flat 4-3-3 so I already have the core of players for this. I actually won the league as a newly promoted team last year but it was the typical cross orgy that is haunting me since FM 16. Hence your approach is a bit like a holy grail for me hahaha

One thing I noticed from very brief TFC testing is the AP tends to get quite a few chances because the playmaker role will attract more balls plus he's in central position so will also get in good position for crosses/lateral cut passes; so maybe a 'get further forward' PI and/or 'get into penalty box' PPM could make him more dangerous.

Also you should consider opening a thread for your tactic, there seems to be interest and you already have written more than enough for a very good OP :)

court masada

Just as an idea, do you think it would be possible to use two wide midfielders instead of the central midfielders? I had great success in FM16 with such a formation. Of course the style of play would be a little different, but perhaps it could be an alternative for when the main tactic isn't producing? Here is what I used in FM16, haven't had the chance to revisit it in FM17 yet:

image.jpg

that's a nice looking formation with what looks like really impressive player performances/ratings.
I started this tactic based off of tweaks and role changes from a strikerless tactic created by veez.

View attachment 1093525

but i didn't have success buying the right players for wide positions and adapted it to fit the players i had. Eventually tactic became what I've shared with everyone here. I might revisit wide players again and will see what i can think of. I just tinkered around with a tactic tweak for defensive teams/when needing a goal just waiting for the right time to unleash it and will share it with you.

will do, my go-to tactic is a flat 4-3-3 so I already have the core of players for this. I actually won the league as a newly promoted team last year but it was the typical cross orgy that is haunting me since FM 16. Hence your approach is a bit like a holy grail for me hahaha

One thing I noticed from very brief TFC testing is the AP tends to get quite a few chances because the playmaker role will attract more balls plus he's in central position so will also get in good position for crosses/lateral cut passes; so maybe a 'get further forward' PI and/or 'get into penalty box' PPM could make him more dangerous.

Also you should consider opening a thread for your tactic, there seems to be interest and you already have written more than enough for a very good OP :)

I will start a thread very soon. Hopefully before the end of the week with more results to share. I'm also a procrastinator and putting off making a thread because of how long I imagine it will take to make. Some of these replies take a while to write because I want to give as much information I can so people will have a greater understanding of the tactic. But since I have posted so much here I will probably copy and paste most of it :D

Yes the AP role is interesting with the amount of chances he gets in this tactic. I recently played Dele Alli there because i'm still trying to find out his best position for this tactic. His stats are very impressive and wide ranging and I want to utilize him properly, he has played SS, CM and recently AP

Here is his last game at AP where he scored 4 goals.
View attachment 114183
His PPM's are Arrives late in opponent's area, comes deep to get ball and runs with ball often. He didn't score as a result of a breakaway/1 on 1 but from passes when he was already in the penalty box. His strength and size make him a good target for build up and finishing off chances in the box.

With his promising results i'm wondering if a more traditional striker/complete forward will work in this role. Someone with strength height and finishing might be deadly. I will try playing Kuki and adam armstrong here - they are the only remaining strikers i have at the club

I will start a thread very soon. Hopefully before the end of the week with more results to share. I'm also a procrastinator and putting off making a thread because of how long I imagine it will take to make. Some of these replies take a while to write because I want to give as much information I can so people will have a greater understanding of the tactic. But since I have posted so much here I will probably copy and paste most of it :D

Yes the AP role is interesting with the amount of chances he gets in this tactic. I recently played Dele Alli there because i'm still trying to find out his best position for this tactic. His stats are very impressive and wide ranging and I want to utilize him properly, he has played SS, CM and recently AP

Here is his last game at AP where he scored 4 goals.
View attachment 1093526
His PPM's are Arrives late in opponent's area, comes deep to get ball and runs with ball often. He didn't score as a result of a breakaway/1 on 1 but from passes when he was already in the penalty box. His strength and size make him a good target for build up and finishing off chances in the box.

With his promising results i'm wondering if a more traditional striker/complete forward will work in this role. Someone with strength height and finishing might be deadly. I will try playing Kuki and adam armstrong here - they are the only remaining strikers i have at the club

Glad the advanced playmaker input payed out. Did you ever trying using an Enganche? Cant remember if we spoke about it.

Glad the advanced playmaker input payed out. Did you ever trying using an Enganche? Cant remember if we spoke about it.

Quick backstory for anyone interested - I shared an early version of this Tactic with Martino after he created a strikerless tactic thread

ww w. fm-base .c o .u k /forum/share-download-fm-17-tactics/361931-soffyroad-works-great-low-league-teams-well.html

sorry for crappy link above, idk why but it won't let me post links just copy and paste above - but please check out his thread and see his thoughts on tactics and player roles

the soffyroad tactic he made was similar to my formation so I shared mine with him and asked him what he thought.
That version of the tactic I shared with him had complete wingbacks, 3 SS's, and used a different mentality.

He recommended using wingbacks, changing the central SS to an AP on attack and changing the mentality to standard. His input has been essential in bringing consistency and my success with this tactic. ;)

I don't think we talked about an Enganche. I haven't really used an Enganche in any iteration of FM so I avoided using an enganche here. I'll have to defer to your judgement/recommendations not only on enganche's but player roles/mentalities as you are the real tactician here. :D

This looks good! I've taken it for a spin in my tactics test game.. using the editor to max it (playing as Frankfurt).. haven't lost ! Using it tonight in a network game.. Ill let you know how it goes!

Awesome! :D
Please share your results/suggestions. Hopefully I can incorporate them into a thread for this tactic I plan on making by the end of the week.

Every tactic if you use an Editor will win or at least boost your chances unfairly so i dont see why people have to use the Editors , if you want to know if a tactic is good try it with a low morale team and work at it DO NOT CHEAT !!

Quick backstory for anyone interested - I shared an early version of this Tactic with Martino after he created a strikerless tactic thread

ww w. fm-base .c o .u k /forum/share-download-fm-17-tactics/361931-soffyroad-works-great-low-league-teams-well.html

sorry for crappy link above, idk why but it won't let me post links just copy and paste above - but please check out his thread and see his thoughts on tactics and player roles

the soffyroad tactic he made was similar to my formation so I shared mine with him and asked him what he thought.
That version of the tactic I shared with him had complete wingbacks, 3 SS's, and used a different mentality.

He recommended using wingbacks, changing the central SS to an AP on attack and changing the mentality to standard. His input has been essential in bringing consistency and my success with this tactic. ;)

I don't think we talked about an Enganche. I haven't really used an Enganche in any iteration of FM so I avoided using an enganche here. I'll have to defer to your judgement/recommendations not only on enganche's but player roles/mentalities as you are the real tactician here. :D

Well. The enganche can be a real mastermind if there is a lot of movement around him(which there is in your tactic). The advanced playmaker is more "tweakable" to operate defensively and can be told to run into channels for instance. The enganche is great if you have a rather slow player who you dont want to lose possesion because of dribbling

Yes Soffyroad and this have alot in common relying heavily on through balls as they both are strikerless and wingerless. Its awesome that they work great in that area. Makes interesting football.

Its awesome that it worked out great! Killer tactic and very consistent.

Every tactic if you use an Editor will win or at least boost your chances unfairly so i dont see why people have to use the Editors , if you want to know if a tactic is good try it with a low morale team and work at it DO NOT CHEAT !!
I believe he was referring to tactical familiarity when he said using an editor to max it, and it's a tactic test save. It's very useful to use FMRTE to make the tactic fully fluid before testing it, if you want to test it just for one or a few games... without it, you would have to play a lot of games to see what the tactic can or can't do...

Back