Tactics & Training: The " I have a small question " thread

Are settings linked, Width - Tempo - Mentality ? If so in what way are they linked, like slow-defensive, fast-attack ?

tactically can a poacher play well up top on his own in a 4-2-3-1?And where is this WIZARD you speak of in your first reply?CHEERS

hi. im starting my new season as sunderland, and i am looking to use the counter attack for my away games, using a 442 formation! could some please advise the best way to go about it. Philosophy, passing style etc etc! and also player instructions many thanks

Hey there
I'm doing a season with Tottenham and I'm having LOTS of trouble with the training subject.
Almost all my players complain about their training workload... Honestly I think it's from the individual focus training and the position training but though what changes is the percentage of their training so that's extremely confusing.
So my question is what makes them complain about that the training workload? Is it their individual training (above mentioned) or the training programs??
Thanks...

Are settings linked, Width - Tempo - Mentality ? If so in what way are they linked, like slow-defensive, fast-attack ?

For each strategy i'll say what suits best;
Contain - Quick Tempo - Get ball away and upfield.

Defensive - Slow tempo - Keeping possession, trying not to let opponents get the ball.

Counter - Quick tempo - sitting back, and then within seconds you have sprung an attack, and have a scoring opportunity.

Standard - Whatever float your boat! (H)

Control - Slow tempo - Retaining possession, probing, waiting for that opening, a t-ball, a cross, a shot etc.

Attacking - Quick tempo - Looking at playing a direct passing game, getting the ball upfield quickly, and have lots of players getting into dangerous positions.

Overload - Quickish tempo - This aims at getting everyone forward, Good chance of goals, but can be susceptable to a counter-attack.

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

hi. im starting my new season as sunderland, and i am looking to use the counter attack for my away games, using a 442 formation! could some please advise the best way to go about it. Philosophy, passing style etc etc! and also player instructions many thanks

Philisophy - Rigid
Strategy - Counter
Tempo - Quick
Width - Quite narrow
Passing style: More Direct

I had played FM 2009 before and it was my first time
I didnt know much about tactics depth/training schedule however I always played with elite teams
recently i came across this site..Now I am playing FM 11 with real madrid
but I m really feeling like playing with a 2nd division team
However my insight into tactics and training is weak
so can any mods suggest me some old threads which can enlighten me :(

---------- Post added at 02:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 AM ----------

One more question
At beginning of 1st season players started complaining about team discipline(Real Madrid)
Xabi Alonso got a red card and fined him 2 weeks wages.
He got upset and player interaction worsened!he ended tellin relationship is broken
after 2 or 3 days whole team turned against me that they are not happy the way i treat team mates!!
My relation with Marcelo Garay ws semi-ruined
However Alonso requested transfer! I loaned him to Milan
But Marcelo and Garay still seems to have problem. Like in Assistant feedback before matches..it always comes up like these two players not able to find motivation due to personal issues!!

SO HOW TO MAKE ALONSO as well as these two happy?? :(

I'm playing with Man City & in my 2d season with them atm. I've set up a training schedule for GK, DEF, WB, MID, DEF MID, ATT MID, FWD.
Some of my players complain of over-load of work, or too little workload when I've got every training schedule on light!
Should I put the players complaining on separate training schedules? Or does anybody know where I can download any good training schedules from?

I'm playing with Man City & in my 2d season with them atm. I've set up a training schedule for GK, DEF, WB, MID, DEF MID, ATT MID, FWD.
Some of my players complain of over-load of work, or too little workload when I've got every training schedule on light!
Should I put the players complaining on separate training schedules? Or does anybody know where I can download any good training schedules from?

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=3389 - Ian C's Training ;)

It's not actually carried on in the next GAME and at least for me it's not all the changes. For eg, if the formation is changed mid-match, afterwards in the tactics screen, some of the player positions will be swapped. Then I have to reload a saved tactic to bring back the formation I want. And as for the set piece takers, captains, etc- reloading the saved tactic doesn't work either. Once it goes, it has to be redone. Plus, I've noticed that this set piece thing happens when we go into a match with an UNSAVED tactic i.e. if I make a few tweaks like increasing width or use a slightly different formation before the match but don't want to save it as a tactic, I just proceed to the match. I have since made use of a 'Rough' tactic save just for the purpose of saving the random slightly tweaked tactics. Hasn't happened since, but not played many matches though...

I've not 'investigated' to this detail ( I thought it was a 'feature' not a bug) but that sounds like pretty much also my problem also.

No help for my first query :(

I m playin Real Madrid and in 2nd season!
At beginning of 1st season players started complaining about team discipline(Real Madrid)
He got upset and player interaction worsened!he ended tellin relationship is broken
after 2 or 3 days whole team turned against me that they are not happy the way i treat team mates!!
But Marcelo and Garay still seems to have problem. Like in Assistant feedback before matches..it always comes up like these two players not able to find motivation due to personal issues!!

SO HOW TO MAKE ALONSO as well as these two happy??

Does new position training and ppm training affect overall training like it used to in fm 10. I'm wondering whether its unwise to give my younger players ppm and new position training.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

No help for my first query :(

I m playin Real Madrid and in 2nd season!

SO HOW TO MAKE ALONSO as well as these two happy??

Well first of all, when a player gets a red card warn them a first and second time. Don't give a 2 week fine straight away. What did you expect?:p

Now try interacting with these unhappy players and if they are still only in the 'concerned' stage, maybe try apologizing although it doesn't work with some players. So I'm not sure.

Hi,

I have a question, how do I get the best out of Everton's Tim Cahill?
He plays like a target man on the support duty in real life but in the AMC position.

Any thoughts?

Hi everyone, I hope this question is small enough to fit here...

I've noticed that no matter what team I manage, no matter the players, the only way I can find some balance and get some success is using a lone DMC (usually in a 4-1-2-2-1 or 4-1-2-1-2). Nothing wrong with that, I just wonder why I've failed any time I tried something different...

A big issue is clearly the hole between defenders and the two CMs, and also attackers looking totally non-interested in any form of defending, even when they're set on "support".

I'm quite sure many of these problems have something to do with the individual close down settings, which I admit I don't always understand in this game (honestly IRL closing down strategies work quite differently).

So let's say in a 4-2-3-1 (control, defense line normal/high), CM/defend & DLP/support , how should I set the closing down (team and especially individual) to have the team balanced and not exposed when defending? Maybe using a stopper would help? Or changin the CMs into DMCs?

Thanks

Desmond36, Try asking here.

Kandersson, I always use Stopper/Cover, but always have a DMC aswell, since i'm generally the bigger team other's counter against me, and the defensive midfielder holds onto the ball while the team regains shape.

Nothing in FM11 works like in real life i find, Click on your player position, Click advanced, then go through the settings for closing down. Also, click anywhere on the pitch to get team settings, basic and advanced, you can set the overall from there. Individual instructions take precedent over team instructions.(I think ...)

hey guys, I play a 4-2-3-1 with Galatasaray but I can never ever seem to make it work and I always get countered despite playing with two defensive mids any idea about how to solve this any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Try your CB's as Limited Defenders, one stopper, one cover.
Also try setting your DM's positioning a little more defensive, just dont go more defensive than your centre backs, maybe at the same level?