Guys, here’s an illustration to show what I’m talking about.

Demolisher Strikerless tactic a test with Tottenham, 1st season.

I made these changes to the league to reduce randomness:

- I turned off injuries in the league with pre-editor

- I set the conditions and morale of all players in the league at 100%

- I “freezed” the conditions and morale of all players in the league at 100% with FMRTE.

In the first test I set Tottenham’s reputation at “4000” which mean all other teams in the league have much higher reputation than Tottenham and they consider Tottenham as a big underdog team.

illust2.png

In the second test I set Tottenham’s reputations at “10 000” which mean all other teams in the league have lower reputation than Tottenham and they consider Tottenham as a strong favorite team.

illust.png

As you can see the difference in results is huge but the only what changed it’s the club reputation…

So guys… be careful when you teas tactics you need to understand what approaches AI teams use agasint/how do they threat you an underdog or a favorite.

Last edited:
Guys, here’s an illustration to show what I’m talking about.

A test with Tottenham, 1st season.

I made these changes to the league to reduce randomness:

- I turned off injuries in the league with pre-editor

- I set the conditions and morale of all players in the league at 100%

- I “freezed” the conditions and morale of all players in the league at 100% with FMRTE.

In the first test I set Tottenham’s reputation at “4000” which mean all other teams in the league have much higher reputation than Tottenham and they consider Tottenham as a big underdog team.

illust2.png

In the second test I set Tottenham’s reputations at “10 000” which mean all other teams in the league have lower reputation than Tottenham and they consider Tottenham as a strong favorite team.

illust.png

As you can see the difference in results is huge but the only what changed it’s the club reputation…

So guys… be careful when you teas tactics you need to understand what approaches AI teams use agasint/how do they threat you an underdog or a favorite.

looks like they really struggled for goals as favourites. makes sense as teams will play defensive against you

looks like they really struggled for goals as favourites. makes sense as teams will play defensive against you

Yup, that’s a correct observation…

As it can been seen your tactic’s efficiency might greatly varies depends on what approaches the AI manager use against and his choice what approach to use depends on the difference between your club and his club reputation... it's simple as that...

Btw, your club’s reputations is dynamically changes all the time depending on your results

Last edited:
Yup, that’s a correct observation…

As it can been seen your tactic’s efficiency might greatly varies depends on what approaches the AI manager use against and his choice what approach to use depends on the difference between your club and his club reputation... it's simple as that...

Btw, your club’s reputations is dynamically changes all the time depending on your results

Looks like we should be setting our scouts/analysts to scout and analyse next opp. If they line up defensivly a different tactic will be needed. It could be as simple as playing deeper and on a counter/defensive mentality. Try and draw them out

really interesting as before higher reputation teams were somewhat favoured now its it seems to be the other way around as bigger teams struggle while smaller do somewhat better!!

Hi TFF! Interesting stuff as usual.

Personally I'm convinced that this underdog vs favourite dynamic is one of the biggest issue of the game and also think it's part of the problem of sub-par results of AI managed Barcelona, Madrid or Man City: teams that choose to defend usually defend very well even without world class defenders; team that try to attack don't seem to attack very well despite having great attackers.

For me, the game is really enjoyable when I start in lower leagues, put together decent squads for the division BUT other teams still see my team as an average side at best: under this dynamic, even with my modest tactical skills I can play some offensive football with a good degree of variety (through balls! finish in space!).

When your team is established as a reputable club and seen by other teams as 'favourite', the game becomes much more boring and dull imo - i wouldn't say harder - as most opponents will play very defensively (the defensive version of 4222 DM narrow in Brazil is my personal nightmare, with defensive fullbacks and basically four defensive midfielders) and variety of attacking play suffers inevitably.

I think this ME is capable of better, more varied offensive play than past editions. But when you become 'favourite'... that's the end of it!

Last edited:
i find that an odd thing to do from SI as that leads to big teams doing poorly... thats why barcelona, city, real score so little wonder why they did this, maybe as to make our game harder long term as our reputation will be insane after a few season but once we learn how to counter defensive teams then there will be no contest?

really interesting as before higher reputation teams were somewhat favoured now its it seems to be the other way around as bigger teams struggle while smaller do somewhat better!!

Mate, I can say that in FM17 it worked similar way and you can check the 1st post in my testing league thread for FM17 to see it but the effect from it was relatively small and it can be ignored.

In FM17 the efficiency of Demolisher tactic also reduces when your club’s reputation increases because more teams start to use defensive approaches against you and Demolisher worked less efficient when was used against AI’s defensive approaches and if check the test in the testing league you clearly see it.

As I said in FM17 the efficiency of Demolisher tactics also reduced a little when it was used against AI’s defensive approaches and it can be ignored but in FM18 that effect has became much bigger and it can’t be ignored anymore so it requires having alternative tactic when your reputations is much higher than reputation of AI teams in the league or in cases when AI teams uses defensive approaches against you.

tff, how did you 'freeze' the reputation?

I used FMRTE it doesn't allow you to "freeze" clubs's reputation but anyway there's no need for it becasue Club's Reputation almost doesn’t change during the season, it heavily recalculates only at the end of the season so even you do great during the season and you win all your opponents non-stop but the full effect from it only can been seen at end of the season.

For example, in the test when I set Tottenham's reputation at 4000 and win the league the club's reputation only changed from 4000 to 5000 when I finished the last the season but it will grow much furhter at the start of the next season... that's how Club's Reputation works

Mate, I can say that in FM17 it worked similar way and you can check the 1st post in my testing league thread for FM17 to see it but the effect from it was relatively small and it can be ignored.

In FM17 the efficiency of Demolisher tactic also reduces when your club’s reputation increases because more teams start to use defensive approaches against you and Demolisher worked less efficient when was used against AI’s defensive approaches and if check the test in the testing league you clearly see it.

As I said in FM17 the efficiency of Demolisher tactics also reduced a little when it was used against AI’s defensive approaches and it can be ignored but in FM18 that effect has became much bigger and it can’t be ignored anymore so it requires having alternative tactic when your reputations is much higher than reputation of AI teams in the league or in cases when AI teams uses defensive approaches against you.

I used FMRTE it doesn't allow you to "freeze" clubs's reputation but anyway there's no need for it becasue Club's Reputation almost doesn’t change during the season, it heavily recalculates only at the end of the season so even you do great during the season and you win all your opponents non-stop but the full effect from it only can been seen at end of the season.

For example, in the test when I set Tottenham's reputation at 4000 and win the league the club's reputation only changed from 4000 to 5000 when I finished the last the season but it will grow much furhter at the start of the next season... that's how Club's Reputation works

makes sense thank you for the explanation!

i find that an odd thing to do from SI as that leads to big teams doing poorly... thats why barcelona, city, real score so little wonder why they did this, maybe as to make our game harder long term as our reputation will be insane after a few season but once we learn how to counter defensive teams then there will be no contest?

Mate, the issue when Barcelona and Real Madrid score only 50-60 goals in a season and get only 70-80 points in a season under AI managment is a complete different issue and it's SI who is responsible for that issue.

Also, it's quite unrealistic to see how Messi and Ronanldo scorring only 15-20 goals in a season or Juventus finishes the 6th place SIRIA A the first season… all that is SI responsible to tweak to make the realistic.

Looks like we should be setting our scouts/analysts to scout and analyse next opp. If they line up defensivly a different tactic will be needed. It could be as simple as playing deeper and on a counter/defensive mentality. Try and draw them out

In many cases it’s obvious how AI managers treat you, for example, when you only promoted in the higher league then it’s obvious that almost all AI mangers in the league will be consider you as an underdog team and probably only 2-3 AI managers from 2-3 bottom predicted teams will be consider you as equal.

Or if you win the league 2 times in row then it’s obvious that almost all AI managers in the league consider you as a favorite team in all matches.

Also, you can always check the odds before every match it gives a hint how the AI manager treat you in the match.

Or you always can use any in-game editor to check your reputation and your opponents reputation. ;)

TFF so this DEMOLISHER tactic you consider as NOT ATTACKING??? Even if its 3 at the top? whats your first Idea how to make tactic work when you are a TOP TEAM and playing against defensive UNDERDOG? attacking mentality and wide witdh?

TFF so this DEMOLISHER tactic you consider as NOT ATTACKING??? Even if its 3 at the top? whats your first Idea how to make tactic work when you are a TOP TEAM and playing against defensive UNDERDOG? attacking mentality and wide witdh?

Mate, here's how thing stand right now... I see that Demolisher works amazing when your club’s reputation is about 1000 – 1500 less than your opponent club’s reputation and when your club’s reputation is about 1000 – 1500 higher than your opponent club’s reputations it shows average results…

All above means that Demolisher can’t be an universal tactic that can be used in all situations as it was in FM18.

My plans right now is to tune my testing system to clearly see how tactics works when they used with Favorite teams and when they used with Underdog teams then I consider 2 options(haven’t decided yet):

1) Create 2 separate tactics to use them when you are underdog and when you are favorite.

2) Or create 1 universal tactics that will be less efficient but can be used when you underdog and when you favorite so not to bother with switching tactics but I'm not sure if such possible in FM18...

Last edited:
I get it, its just really interesting what thing will gonna work for tactic when you are top team and playing against underdog :)

So if I've just been promoted to premier league after back to back promotions then Demolisher should work great?

Ok guys while TFF is trying to solve the tactic isues :) i want to share another Tweak! Crusho79 made this TFF tweak in 2017 and called MATADOR... it worked amazing for me ant that was the last tactic ive used in 2017.So untill we wait while TFF made a proper test and create something very good, look at matador 2018! It should really worked well with Lower league teams or true underdogs!

THIS TEST I MADE WITH IN-GAME EDITOR so:

BEFORE EVERY SINGLE GAME THIS WAS DONE

1.BOTH TEAMS TACTIS MADE TO FULLY FLUID
2.BOTH TEAMS FITNESS LEVEL PUT TO 100%
3.BOTH TEAMS MORALE PUT TO 100%

without these things results could be even better! :)

View attachment 76665View attachment 76664

DOWNLOAD ---> Matador 2018

Ok guys while TFF is trying to solve the tactic isues :) i want to share another Tweak! Crusho79 made this TFF tweak in 2017 and called MATADOR... it worked amazing for me ant that was the last tactic ive used in 2017.So untill we wait while TFF made a proper test and create something very good, look at matador 2018! It should really worked well with Lower league teams or true underdogs!

THIS TEST I MADE WITH IN-GAME EDITOR so:

BEFORE EVERY SINGLE GAME THIS WAS DONE

1.BOTH TEAMS TACTIS MADE TO FULLY FLUID
2.BOTH TEAMS FITNESS LEVEL PUT TO 100%
3.BOTH TEAMS MORALE PUT TO 100%

without these things results could be even better! :)

View attachment 1135304View attachment 1135305

DOWNLOAD ---> Matador 2018

some results mate?