The Anfield Saga

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1K
  • Views Views 79K
Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds quite reasonable. I'm sure many people were hoping for Man City type sugar-daddy ownership where they're throwing money around everywhere. I have a feeling, that is one day, going to backfire on them if their results don't justify their expenses.

I love Roy's take on the matter -
"If we look at Real [Madrid], last season they spent a fortune on two or three and it didn't give them what they wanted. They didn't win the Champions League, or even get to the semis, and they didn't win the Spanish league or the Spanish cup. I rest my case. The two most expensive players in the world didn't help them get what they want. Are those players then entitled to say 'I should not have come here because the club lacks ambition,' or is the club entitled to say 'We spent £150m on you two, we wanted you to help us win'?"

This is just what i'm thinking right now; and given it's late, my thoughts may not make much sense...

Huang has come out today and said he's not made a formal bid? what if this is him saying this, because he has signed the confidentiality agreement that he's been asked to and is now choosing to shut his trap?

secondly: if it's proven that Huang is being backed by CIC within a couple of days and they're already in the process of due dilligence and the PL have started their checks already (providing it was Huang they were informed about) and all gets the green light, then theoretically it should take less that the 10 days providing the PL and Broughton and everyone says it's okay.

& Thirdly: If it's proven that Huang is indeed being backed by CIC, then it should be a no brainer for the likes of Broughton; Ayre and Purslow in saying Yes, as long as Huang provides a sensible business plan which shows investment in the squad, clearing of the debt and funding for the stadium?

oh and i must say, if all is to be believed, and Broughton okay's a deal that would potentially make us richer than Chelsea & Shity, do you think as a beloved chelsea fan, he'd be banned from stamford bridge? :p if so, i'm sure he'd be welcome to Anfield like a hero... :P

After speaking to a few liverpool fans on here, They all want big massive Billionaires to take over so we can go and do a city and make mass amounts for players like Messi, Inesta, Silva, etc,

Tbh id take my local kabab shop owner right now, anything to get Purslow, Hicks, Gillet out.

The number being put about by 'sources close to Huang' is £150m on new players. So if it works out etc they should be happy enough over the next few months. And after that it's going to be very difficult to spend large amounts of money on players anyway because of the new financial rules.

And I agree with you totally about ownership. The club cannot afford to keep pumping out £10m+ in cash and adding another £15m to the debt pile every year. Even £150m on new players at the same rate of interest H&G are being charge by the banks right now will only be £7.5 million in interest every year, and would more likely be half that if CIC are providing the security on the club . Of course, that's still a fairly big debt for the club to have for players, but you'd hope that it would be the first thing to be paid off rather than pay dividends straight away.

Lot depends on the club growing Asia at a crazy rate and raking in the money there, at least until the new stadium is paid for. It's a really long-term view of the club - 20 years and more before getting into a position similar to how the Mancs were before Glazer took over and at a time when clubs can only be spending what they're taking in.

The number being put about by 'sources close to Huang' is £150m on new players. So if it works out etc they should be happy enough over the next few months. And after that it's going to be very difficult to spend large amounts of money on players anyway because of the new financial rules.

And I agree with you totally about ownership. The club cannot afford to keep pumping out £10m+ in cash and adding another £15m to the debt pile every year. Even £150m on new players at the same rate of interest H&G are being charge by the banks right now will only be £7.5 million in interest every year, and would more likely be half that if CIC are providing the security on the club . Of course, that's still a fairly big debt for the club to have for players, but you'd hope that it would be the first thing to be paid off rather than pay dividends straight away.

Lot depends on the club growing Asia at a crazy rate and raking in the money there, at least until the new stadium is paid for. It's a really long-term view of the club - 20 years and more before getting into a position similar to how the Mancs were before Glazer took over and at a time when clubs can only be spending what they're taking in.

Its great to finally meet a passionate fan who knows what he iss talking about. The amount of wools on here who come out with random **** like. Lets sign Messi.

Just out of interest are you in the S.O.S?

---------- Post added at 02:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 AM ----------

Oh and another thing what is winding me up is lots of these people saying " Yanks out " then go and buy the full kit for £50-£60 :\

******* drives me mad tha

This is just what i'm thinking right now; and given it's late, my thoughts may not make much sense...

Huang has come out today and said he's not made a formal bid? what if this is him saying this, because he has signed the confidentiality agreement that he's been asked to and is now choosing to shut his trap?

A formal bid is only made just before the deal is done. It's playing with words - semantics. From what the lads who have been leaking stuff have said, this has only gone public because Gillett is trying to derail the bid. Otherwise Huang's bid would not have been leaked as it was to build pressure on RBS and the board (it's been planned for a while though). The lads who have been leaking stuff have now said that they've been told to shut up and so won't be leaking any more. One reason given by someone who would know is that this is because now attention has been drawn to what's happening, the decision is becoming very obvious for the board.

secondly: if it's proven that Huang is being backed by CIC within a couple of days and they're already in the process of due dilligence and the PL have started their checks already (providing it was Huang they were informed about) and all gets the green light, then theoretically it should take less that the 10 days providing the PL and Broughton and everyone says it's okay.

It could do. But I think it'll be early next week before the PL's financial checks will begin. They're not quick to do or arrange.

& Thirdly: If it's proven that Huang is indeed being backed by CIC, then it should be a no brainer for the likes of Broughton; Ayre and Purslow in saying Yes, as long as Huang provides a sensible business plan which shows investment in the squad, clearing of the debt and funding for the stadium?

It should be. And with pressure on RBS to force it through by giving the board of this deal or taking the club into administration, then it should be no-brainer for 3 of the 5 people who will vote on this. Hopefully, that will be a quick end to things rather than us seeing something like what's happened with Hicks' baseball team.

oh and i must say, if all is to be believed, and Broughton okay's a deal that would potentially make us richer than Chelsea & Shity, do you think as a beloved chelsea fan, he'd be banned from stamford bridge? :p if so, i'm sure he'd be welcome to Anfield like a hero... :P

:D

I think what they were talking about was an overall plan. So we're talking about a time when you're a bit older than me (I think :) ). It's a fairly long term vision of the club. It's not going to happen over night. It's not going to be like Manchester City desperately trying to sell season tickets even during a season because people aren't turning up here, never mind having a global market, it's not going to be like Chelsea where they're still reliant on the owner pumping money in every season to pay to keep them where they are. Broughton will be an old man by the time we're in a position Huang is talking about. But once we're there, we'll be there forever - no debt, big stadium, massive revenues etc.

I do like that vision of the club. Whether it'll happen is another thing altogether. :D

Its great to finally meet a passionate fan who knows what he iss talking about.

Are you saying us other Liverpool fans on the site are not passionate? And don't know what we're talking about?

Are you saying us other Liverpool fans on the site are not passionate? And don't know what we're talking about?

What do you mean, You don't know what i am talking about. ?

Tbh mate, Look you like in bath or something. I've never seen you come on here and talk about what going on with the RBS, hicks, Gillet, Purslow etc.

So yes, Im saying he the passionatist liverpool fan ive seen on here in a long time.

Sorry arnt I aloud my opinion?

I say you come from bath because the protests against the way the club is being owned gets staged in Liverpool. The Spirt of Shankly, also based in Liverpool. So I Dont see how you can come to the SOS meetings to know everything.

I bet your one of the ones who says, Yanks out and buys the LFC kits arnt you?

Last edited:
Its great to finally meet a passionate fan who knows what he iss talking about. The amount of wools on here who come out with random **** like. Lets sign Messi.

Just out of interest are you in the S.O.S?

Joined SoS a few months back. Held off because I wasn't sure about where they were going (got a lot of respect for the lads on RAOTL but some of them can do counterproductive stuff). Had a good chat with one of the committee and the commitment to get onboard with other groups like Share Liverpool was the final thing which pushed me to joining up.

Poor wools ;) Mind you, I moved away from the city as a lad so I sound like a proper OOTer.

Oh and another thing what is winding me up is lots of these people saying " Yanks out " then go and buy the full kit for £50-£60 :\

******* drives me mad tha

Haha. Know loads who got down to the freebie for the new kit. Was tempted myself but jibbed it. But I've only been boycotting stuff for myself. Don't think it's right to tell others what to do, know what I mean? Make your point, and then let them get on with it. It's like my ex - she'd buy the shirt anyways. But if I buy it, I get a load of Chinese tea sent from her in exchange for it. But this year she's getting a black Standards Corrupted one because I'm not a scab and my union isn't keen on any official merchandising getting bought right now.

I think what they were talking about was an overall plan. So we're talking about a time when you're a bit older than me (I think :) ). It's a fairly long term vision of the club. It's not going to happen over night. It's not going to be like Manchester City desperately trying to sell season tickets even during a season because people aren't turning up here, never mind having a global market, it's not going to be like Chelsea where they're still reliant on the owner pumping money in every season to pay to keep them where they are. Broughton will be an old man by the time we're in a position Huang is talking about. But once we're there, we'll be there forever - no debt, big stadium, massive revenues etc.

I do like that vision of the club. Whether it'll happen is another thing altogether. :D

Depends how old you are :L i'm below 20; above 16 :p so probably;
although, even as a young fan, i like the thought of us being a self-sufficient club, with enough funds each season to stay competitive on all fronts whilst not building up crippling debts, it sounds a lot more like the Liverpool way to me...

Joined SoS a few months back. Held off because I wasn't sure about where they were going (got a lot of respect for the lads on RAOTL but some of them can do counterproductive stuff). Had a good chat with one of the committee and the commitment to get onboard with other groups like Share Liverpool was the final thing which pushed me to joining up.

Poor wools ;) Mind you, I moved away from the city as a lad so I sound like a proper OOTer.

Haha. Know loads who got down to the freebie for the new kit. Was tempted myself but jibbed it. But I've only been boycotting stuff for myself. Don't think it's right to tell others what to do, know what I mean? Make your point, and then let them get on with it. It's like my ex - she'd buy the shirt anyways. But if I buy it, I get a load of Chinese tea sent from her in exchange for it. But this year she's getting a black Standards Corrupted one because I'm not a scab and my union isn't keen on any official merchandising getting bought right now.

Good man not buying the merchandise ;)

Errm, Me brothers part of the SOS. I'm a bit young to join. Errm, He isnt part of Share Liverpool. But he does let me read the booklets to the SOS meetings, I've been to the protests with him alot before games/after games etc,

Do you come to liverpool every week or something to watch the game?

Good man not buying the merchandise ;)

Errm, Me brothers part of the SOS. I'm a bit young to join. Errm, He isnt part of Share Liverpool. But he does let me read the booklets to the SOS meetings, I've been to the protests with him alot before games/after games etc,

Do you come to liverpool every week or something to watch the game?

Heh as you're too young to join SoS, you wouldn't know how little a sacrifice it is to stop buying beer at the bars in the ground - I'm too old to go wandering round with a top on. I'll stick to a nice casual shirt for match days.:D (is there an age limit for SoS? Didn't know. Didn't even think about that before - nothing on union website about it).

Get to what I can mate. Usually around 10 home games a season (mainly old cat B - will be cat C now heh) in 305/6 but I'll sit with the Norwegians on Anfield Road if I have to, and four or five aways (not always in right end though :D). Cup matches vary - made a decision before this bid thing came out not to go tomorrow and kind of regretting it now. Euro aways are something else entirely - just can't afford them any more now I've got other responsibilities. How about you?

I'm only in Manchester, so it's not too bad getting to games. Just not very well, so if I'm poorly that knocks me getting out of the house never mind to any games - especially midweek ones with the run for last train from Anfield to Lime Street.

edit: while I'm on it - you on SaveLFC yet? No age limit for that ;)

Last edited:
Heh as you're too young to join SoS, you wouldn't know how little a sacrifice it is to stop buying beer at the bars in the ground - I'm too old to go wandering round with a top on. I'll stick to a nice casual shirt for match days.:D

Get to what I can mate. Usually around 10 home games a season (mainly old cat B - will be cat C now heh) in 305/6 but I'll sit with the Norwegians on Anfield Road if I have to, and four or five aways (not always in right end though :D). Cup matches vary - made a decision before this bid thing came out not to go tomorrow and kind of regretting it now. Euro aways are something else entirely - just can't afford them any more now I've got other responsibilities. How about you?

I'm only in Manchester, so it's not too bad getting to games. Just not very well, so if I'm poorly that knocks me getting out of the house never mind to any games - especially midweek ones with the run for last train from Anfield to Lime Street.

edit: while I'm on it - you on SaveLFC yet? No age limit for that ;)

Haha, Thats the one. You should tell all those nobs who walk around with full kit on, Who are 30/40 makes you sick dosent it lad?

I go to what I can, I go looking around for tickets everywhere mate, Off my brother. Look about on a ratol. My mars mate aswell, she has loads of this irsh fella.

I got to all the home European games last season and about 10-15 league games.
Havent been to away european game, Dieing too. Me mar wont let me brother take me yet mate :(

Haha, I think i'm in SaveLFC Facebook group if that's what you on about?

---------- Post added at 02:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 AM ----------

just can't afford them any more now I've got other responsibilities.

Ano mate, its gone up another 15% this year, Rip off really.

Haha, Thats the one. You should tell all those nobs who walk around with full kit on, Who are 30/40 makes you sick dosent it lad?

Aye, feel a bit sorry for some of those who are on boycott though - those with little kids I'm talking about. Getting your first strip as a kid is a big thing. Still got mine. Hopefully something will come through with these deals just to get us back to normal. Trying to think of last offal merchandise I bought - think it was a scarf from the shop when I took my missus (Chelsea supporter) to her first game.

I go to what I can, I go looking around for tickets everywhere mate, Off my brother. Look about on a ratol. My mars mate aswell, she has loads of this irsh fella.

I got to all the home European games last season and about 10-15 league games.
Havent been to away european game, Dieing too. Me mar wont let me brother take me yet mate :(

Sweet - I'll be on to you for tickets then for the Euros ;) Still can't make out what they're doing with loyalty and credits this season - not paying them £30 a year for a card at any rate. Getting there tomorrow?

Haha, I think i'm in SaveLFC Facebook group if that's what you on about?

Yeah, got a website too - http://www.savelfc.org/ Good bunch of lads.

Ano mate, its gone up another 15% this year, Rip off really.

It's crazy. Costs me about £80 to get to a game now (including beer money). Throw in another 8%+ on your ticket on top of that plus the VAT rise, and I'm thinking I'm going to have to cut down again. Hard to say to your missus "We're eating beans this week because I'm not missing the match" (lost one missus doing that, think I've learned my lesson) :D

---------- Post added at 03:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 AM ----------

Depends how old you are :L i'm below 20; above 16 :p so probably;
although, even as a young fan, i like the thought of us being a self-sufficient club, with enough funds each season to stay competitive on all fronts whilst not building up crippling debts, it sounds a lot more like the Liverpool way to me...

Spot on that. I'm heading into my mid-30s so yeah, you'll be my age if these Chinese guys are right. (Big if still though).

Don't mind people taking a bit of money out of the club for running it well. Everyone deserves something for doing their job well. As long as the club is getting what it needs to fulfill what Shankly set as our target - club is there to win things, not to be a cash cow for the owners to milk because they know we won't switch to another.

I see CIC are claiming to have no interest in taking over Liverpool and have never heard of this Kenny Huang guy and have no connections with him.

I see CIC are claiming to have no interest in taking over Liverpool and have never heard of this Kenny Huang guy and have no connections with him.

Quotes used by FT aren't from CIC. They're from someone who has worked with them. No-one who knows anything about how CIC have worked over the past couple of years can believe the story. I still don't believe the story fully.

Tony Barrett is standing by his story. Helen Power (Times business journalist) is standing by the story.

So we'll see. Either some very serious journalists have been sold a genuine dud (for whatever reason) or the backing is there.

who's FT?
i really hope it is CIC backing him and this is all sorted out sooner rather than later;
i'm tearing my hair out hear! :/

The fact seems to be that CIC have recently sold their shares in Morgan Stanley for exact amount of the supposed asking price for the club, which is about £351m. Now that could just be a big coincidence, but it's also possible that they're just denying interest until a solid takeover deal is done. Whatever that case it's most important that the PL thoroughly checks each bidder's financial background and business history.

And we seem to have interested parties from India now???
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/411...ni-and-subrata-roy-bid-for-liverpool-club.htm

who's FT?
i really hope it is CIC backing him and this is all sorted out sooner rather than later;
i'm tearing my hair out hear! :/

FT = Financial Times. They're running a story saying no-one's heard of Huang and they can't find his Hong Kong offices etc.

A press release from Huang is expected at some point today. Huang's last press release said he'd have nothing more to say until he released a joint press release with Liverpool. We'll see.

Relax mate. Enjoy the show. Write a letter to RBS asking Mr.Hester to sort this out if you haven't already. Play a bit of FM. Put some music on. :)

This is going to be a **** of a ride - but let's make sure we get rid of the leeches :)

------

eFusion - original source for the Indian interest starting again is the S*n. Doubt any owner would be daft enough to be chatting to them and risk being lynched quite that quickly - stranger things have happened though I guess, who'd have thought Souness would do it? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back