The Anfield Saga

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1K
  • Views Views 79K
Status
Not open for further replies.
it appears that RBS and Broughton were sneeky when he was put in charge,
he says that when he was put in charge, they inserted a clause saying he was the only one who could make changes to the board structure, so he thinks the court will tell tom and george to **** off basically...

if he gets the club sold, i kinda hope he stays on, seems like a genuine guy as far as i can tell (Apart from supporting the chelski...) and if they were to turn out good owners, he'd kinda be a legend...

Message from an American Red Sox fan:
Erol ***** October 6 at 11:22am Report
The red sox owners are what you can call "big ballers". Since they bought the red sox in 2002, they have increased revenues, attendance etc. Most importantly, their approach led to the first championship in 86 years (and one more since then).

They spend money (smartly) and hire the right personnel - to win.

p.s. I am now a Liverpool fan.

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

Also, re-developtmrnt of Anfield on the cards :)

Liverpool are NOT worth the reported 300m that it would cost to buy. Out of form, in debt, and are not looking too healthy. You could buy a lot of good teams with 300m, better than Liverpool.

Liverpool are NOT worth the reported 300m that it would cost to buy. Out of form, in debt, and are not looking too healthy. You could buy a lot of good teams with 300m, better than Liverpool.

H+G want 600mill. XD

i think your mis-reading it, there actually getting the club for about £70 million i think, and paying off the debt in this one go...

H+G want 600mill. XD

They could buy ManUre or Arsenal for that, established clubs. Might as well forget it, no-one will buy them for half of that. I saw on Sky News that Broughton said the club would be sold for 300m

Infact, the 300 million that they are paying is used to clear the aquisition debt of when H+G bought the club and the club itself is making profit. And yes out of form. Not out of good players. Bad Form is normally temporary.

i think your mis-reading it, there actually getting the club for about £70 million i think, and paying off the debt in this one go...

I just saw on Sky News that the club would be sold for 300m, but that was on the rolling bar...have yet to see Sports News.

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

Probably end up with a name change and stadium name change :P...

Liverpool Red Sox playing at New Fenway Park or something.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO55BazkiZ4&feature=aso"]YouTube - Dear Mr Hicks[/ame]

From the fans.

What Does anyone know about this Fella? How does he run his Baseball side? Does he actually have an interest in football? Is he a friend of Hicks or Gillet? Until these Questions are answered no-one can comment either way.
New England Sports Ventures took over the Red Sox back in 2002. Always contenders in the toughest division of baseball, but they were that before NESV arrived as well. Tradewise they mostly aim for experience, but their biggest trade was acquiring Japanese pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka. This guy came over from Japan and the Red Sox bid $51million and after that as highest bidder had just 30 days to come to terms with the player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_W._Henry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Werner

From what I read these guys have been around sports for most of their lives and are pretty passionate about it, but there's still an overwhelming "business is business" feeling I get.

At least they've been around the Red Sox for quite a long time now and didn't leave after 2 championships which no doubt boosted the value trememdously.

New England Sports Ventures took over the Red Sox back in 2002. Always contenders in the toughest division of baseball, but they were that before NESV arrived as well. Tradewise they mostly aim for experience, but their biggest trade was acquiring Japanese pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka. This guy came over from Japan and the Red Sox bid $51million and after that as highest bidder had just 30 days to come to terms with the player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_W._Henry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Werner

From what I read these guys have been around sports for most of their lives and are pretty passionate about it, but there's still an overwhelming "business is business" feeling I get.

At least they've been around the Red Sox for quite a long time now and didn't leave after 2 championships which no doubt boosted the value trememdously.

thanks for tht, i wasn't slamming them, as i didnt know enough about baseball to comment.

Well, this whole thing is one big mindfuck.

I shall reserve judgment on the man/group[?] until I see action, presuming it goes through. I hope for the sake of the club he is genuine.

They've said they want to renovate and develop Anfield, whether they're trying to save money or retain the clubs history, I don't know.

They've said they want to renovate and develop Anfield, whether they're trying to save money or retain the clubs history, I don't know.

Yeah, they did the same thing at Fenway. Honestly it was almost a carbon copy of the situation. The previous owners were in debt and falling behind on plans to build a new park. These guys bought the club and instead of building a new stadium, they did some serious renovations. They've got the money, I think that they're just trying to keep some history intact.

Merrrgeeeed

Last edited:
Tom Hicks been in contact with journalist on 5 Live - 'We legally reconstituted the board and we do not accept the transaction'

Journalist: How can you block it?

reply...."We have removed Purslow and Ayre"

some more
Radio 5 said within last hour:

Purslow and Ayre are gone - according to Hicks. Broughton said to Hicks you can't remove them, and Hicks said I have just done that. And Hicks put the phone down.

this boardroom war continues

according to someone on Twitter:

Radio 5live - had correspondence with Tom Hicks "We've legally reconstituted the board and the board is not in favour"

Radio 5live - "we've removed Purslow and Ayres"

Radio 5live - last night emergency board meeting via conference call. Clear Hicks+Gillet being outvoted 3 v 2.

Radio 5live - Hicks: "I'm replacing Purslow/Ayre". Broughton: "You can't do that." Hicks "I've just done it". Hicks then put the phone down.

Radio 5live - no contact since.

Listen to the LFC talk http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_five_live

Last edited:
this is like a soap opera!!! I don't the main priority of the new owners should be to build a new stadium. Instead invest money into the team to get Liverpool back into the top 4 and then invest in building a new stadium. No point building a bigger stadium if its not gonna be bringing in a bigger attendance because the team is ****! :D

this is like a soap opera!!! I don't the main priority of the new owners should be to build a new stadium. Instead invest money into the team to get Liverpool back into the top 4 and then invest in building a new stadium. No point building a bigger stadium if its not gonna be bringing in a bigger attendance because the team is ****! :D

We don't need a new Stadia, we need development on Anfield is all. We'd fill it, no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back