The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
The club has announced some new numbers for next season:

Cech will take #1, Bellerin #2 and Elneny #4 left vacant by Mertesacker.

****, I was actually getting around to the idea of Arteta becoming the next Arsenal manager.
Im not sure which one is worse tbh. Never been a fan of Emery but he did well at Sevilla give him that. But don’t think will be much change from Wenger tbh.

David Ornstein
@bbcsport_david

BREAKING: Arsenal to appoint Unai Emery as new manager. Thorough process produced 46yo Spaniard as unanimous choice. Available after leaving #PSG (1 Lg1 title, 4 cups), previously Sevilla (3 EL wins), not fluent English. Announcement + press conference likely later this week #AFC

Sweet. Revenge for Basle and Seville incoming next season then. (6)

Im not sure which one is worse tbh. Never been a fan of Emery but he did well at Sevilla give him that. But don’t think will be much change from Wenger tbh.

Well, I think players really needed just a new face at the helm and let's not forget almost whole of the backroom team is changing as well.

Rating his time at PSG is hard because of the quality of the league, but he did quite well despite the resources he had at both Sevilla and Valencia.

Sweet. Revenge for Basle and Seville incoming next season then. (6)

Demoralized by the loss to Real Liverpool fall to double 3-1 losses to the Arsenal in the 2018-19 season. Can see it already. (Was the Basel 3-1? seem to remember that figure of the top of my head).

Yeah maybe would still of been holes all over the back. And a pretty similar style of play. But least he has experience over Arteta.

I expect the majority of the money in the transfer market this summer to go into GK and CB positions. That along with hopefully some proper defensive coaching for once.

Well, I think players really needed just a new face at the helm and let's not forget almost whole of the backroom team is changing as well.

Rating his time at PSG is hard because of the quality of the league, but he did quite well despite the resources he had at both Sevilla and Valencia.
I think he was a disappointment at PSG especially in CL with the resources and even managing to lose the French league.. Was good at Sevilla and Valencia but still had some real quality at those clubs. I agree though a change was needed and definitely will do some good initially. Expect Arsenal to finish between a lucky Firth and sixth next season.

With Arteta it was a bit exciting. The unknown. With Emery, it's a all gone a bit "meh". He's not a significant upgrade, imo, and doesn't really bring fresh, innovative ideas to the table - hence why he was replaced with Tuchel.

Emery won 3 Europa Leagues in a row, he'll fit right in at Arsenal.

Jokes aside I actually think it's a decent appointment, far better than Arteta for obvious reasons. He has experience working with big players, knows how to setup a defence (no offence Wenger).

Not great but considering clubs position could of done worse.

With Arteta it was a bit exciting. The unknown. With Emery, it's a all gone a bit "meh". He's not a significant upgrade, imo, and doesn't really bring fresh, innovative ideas to the table - hence why he was replaced with Tuchel.

Another boring btard.

Just what the PL needs.

Emery won 3 Europa Leagues in a row, he'll fit right in at Arsenal.

Jokes aside I actually think it's a decent appointment, far better than Arteta for obvious reasons. He has experience working with big players, knows how to setup a defence (no offence Wenger).

Not great but considering clubs position could of done worse.
His teams tend to ship lots of goals.

His teams tend to ship lots of goals.

Didn't follow PSG at all but in Spain his teams always seemed set up well? Can't say I followed his teams a lot but I always admired his achievements at Sevilla from afar. He managed to challenge the big two at times in league and won EL 3 times which is a good achievement.

Didn't follow PSG at all but in Spain his teams always seemed set up well? Can't say I followed his teams a lot but I always admired his achievements at Sevilla from afar. He managed to challenge the big two at times in league and won EL 3 times which is a good achievement.
He was challenging the big 2 mainly due to the top class players he had available to him the likes of Mata, Silva, Villa, Albiol, Banega, Hernández, Marchena, Joaquin, Soldado, Costa, Alba. And a fair chunk who were regular for a successful Spanish side. But the change will help I guess.

He was challenging the big 2 mainly due to the top class players he had available to him the likes of Mata, Silva, Villa, Albiol, Banega, Hernández, Marchena, Joaquin, Soldado, Costa, Alba. And a fair chunk who were regular for a successful Spanish side. But the change will help I guess.

Credit to Emery for coaching them to three straight UEFA Cups but the recruitment to continually replace every summer with top quality from Monchi really was top notch work those Sevilla teams. Can't be understated the part he played.

Credit to Emery for coaching them to three straight UEFA Cups but the recruitment to continually replace every summer with top quality from Monchi really was top notch work those Sevilla teams. Can't be understated the part he played.
Was gonna mention Monchi. Was huge for Sevilla!

Gotta say that i don't like Emery. I've followed Psg in his two seasons in charge and the team had so many problems. Psg never had solidity at the back and the build-up play was non-existent. Verratti had his worse season yet. Many doubtful decision in big games (Kimbempe for Silva and Lo Celso as a 5 against Madrid). He lost a league for Monaco even with a much better squad and his team capitulated against Barca and Real in Ucl. Many games this season were won because of the sheer talent of Neymar and Mbappe.

Gotta say that i don't like Emery. I've followed Psg in his two seasons in charge and the team had so many problems. Psg never had solidity at the back and the build-up play was non-existent. Verratti had his worse season yet. Many doubtful decision in big games (Kimbempe for Silva and Lo Celso as a 5 against Madrid). He lost a league for Monaco even with a much better squad and his team capitulated against Barca and Real in Ucl. Many games this season were won because of the sheer talent of Neymar and Mbappe.

He was in charge when PSG blew that 4 goal lead against Barcelona in spectacular style right? That the game you're referencing?

Few things I read on his time in Seville that counterbalances the 3 straight Europa Leagues-

Never finished in the top 4.
Went a full season without winning away.
Finished 7th his last season.

Not sure what he did at Valencia as I'm not researching him. Just something I read earlier on his time in Seville.

Real mixed bag and a questionable pedigree for a club the size of Arsenal based off that.

Last edited:
He was in charge when PSG blew that 4 goal lead against Barcelona in spectacular style right? That the game you're referencing?

Few things I read on his time in Seville that counterbalances the 3 straight Europa Leagues-

Never finished in the top 4.
Went a full season without winning away.
Finished 7th his last season.

Not sure what he did at Valencia as I'm not researching him. Just something I read earlier on his time in Seville.

Real mixed bag and a questionable pedigree for a club the size of Arsenal based off that.

Yes, that game.

Back