The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
We need a LB, he is buying a LB......

He's buying a LB that:

a) Is not that good. I like him, but Arsenal could/should get someone better.
b) He's probably buying him because he's cheap after all the match fixing fuss.
c) He's good offensively and decent defesively (Like most South American wing-backs), but he makes mistakes under pressure and it's not something Arsenal need right now.

Don't be disillusioned by his goals tally. They're mainly from free kicks, comparison with Roberto Carlos is inevitable (Had it his whole career) but he's a different type of player.

I think with the move to a big club he will step up to the next level.

Strange signing I agree but not a bad one.

Interesting to see if RVP still takes ALL the free kicks with Santos there. He's a good enough LB to do well, but a baffling signing for me.

He's buying a LB that:

a) Is not that good. I like him, but Arsenal could/should get someone better.
b) He's probably buying him because he's cheap after all the match fixing fuss.
c) He's good offensively and decent defesively (Like most South American wing-backs), but he makes mistakes under pressure and it's not something Arsenal need right now.
He has got to be better than Traore though.

I'm happy with the signing, I believe Gibbs is going to be our first choice (don't see Wenger buy 2 LB's) so Santos should be good enough to cover Gibbs. I'd rather see Wenger spending the big bucks on a CB, M'Vila and a CAM.

Last edited:
being abit skeptical here. like there are making him score goals. should messi and villa hit the ranks ? even Sanchez.

hopefully its not like messi is the playmaker, and cesc is the target man. LOL fm -wise.

...huh?

maybe Santos will tutor Gibbs. ;P

Not as stupid as it sounds, actually. I reckon the reason why Wenger went for Santos ahead of other targets (Cissokho, Tremoulinas and so on and so forth) is because he's that bit older, and will be ageing at the time Gibbs reaches his peak.

Also, if anyone cares, a small match report of the spanking Arsenal got at the hands of United: http://bit.ly/qkTsSr

If I were an Arsenal fan, and this isn't a dig at your team, I imagine you've had enough of that lately, I'd be severely disappointed if there was no huge signing to come in, and when I mean huge, I mean someone of Sneidjer's ability. Players like that don't go on trees, but to make you as competitive again, I really think one or two signings of his quality are needed. I live in France and so watch a lot of their footy which other than PSG and Marseille, makes the championship look very good and mark my words, Chu Young will be a flop.

IMO Arsenal needs a creative AMC with a killer pass to supply RVP and an experienced CB. I don't think Wenger will go for a big name like Sneijder but he'll get someone that will do great without breaking the bank. Also, another fast winger and striker wouldn't hurt either. Too bad Benzema seems to get more first team action at Real, because he'd fit Arsenal's team very well.

Last edited:
IMO Arsenal needs a creative AMC with a killer pass to supply RVP and an experienced CB. I don't think Wenger will go for a big name like Sneijder but he'll get someone that will do great without breaking the bank. Also, another fast winger and striker wouldn't hurt either. Too bad Benzema seems to get more first team action at Real, because he'd fit Arsenal's team very well.

wont be a bad move. at least the supporters will be [freaking] happy. :P

as for benzema, that guy wont leave realm and mourihno wont dump him away like **** even if higuanin is there. lol

More rumours spreading about a move for Malouda. I don't see Benayoun and Malouda as problems solved, but I am in favor of players that are proven and actually play at the Prem level.

Also, first post on the Arsenal thread. Pleasure to meet my fellow Gooners officially.

There aren't many better LBs available at the moment. Should have gone for Enrique. Still massive improvement on Gibbs and Traore for sure.

He contributes a lot in the attacking front too which is very important for modern day fullback. For 5 Million (?) its a very good signing.

There aren't many better LBs available at the moment. Should have gone for Enrique. Still massive improvement on Gibbs and Traore for sure.

He contributes a lot in the attacking front too which is very important for modern day fullback. For 5 Million (?) its a very good signing.

yup, looked okay in the Copa America from what I hear. Very pleased. (Still wanted cissokho but meh)

Now to get Marvin Martin please wenger, and Cahill!

yup, looked okay in the Copa America from what I hear. Very pleased. (Still wanted cissokho but meh)

Now to get Marvin Martin please wenger, and Cahill!

Yeah even I would have said Cissokho would have better, he just need fine tuning. Maybe he will cost way over the odds for Wenger to make a move. If I'm not wrong he wont be available for anything below 15 Million.

Now if Wenger can sign Lugano then it will be awesome for Arsenal. Beast of a player.

Agree, Lugano is a great presence and leader, just don't see us moving for him. I would like to hope so, but I think we'll sign Cahill or Samba (if Dann goes to Rovers) and then a central midfielder (Martin/M'Vila/Benayoun).

Joss wont like if you link the word Leader with any potential transfers. ;)

TBH he is a great leader and just what Arsenal needs. Wont take any **** from anyone no matter what the player's reputation is.

Yup, and with the troubles with Ferne... perfect. But, this is Arsenal, we don't do anything the easy way.

Hearing tabloids reporting a malouda enquiry? interesting.. how would he fit our wages? why would chelsea sell?

He's been linked to Juve the past few weeks, so it appears he's available. Even though he's probably been their most consistent man the past two seasons, they must have seen enough out of Mata or he may be forcing his way out. No idea about wages, but I think he'd be great on the left, pushing Arshavin to center... you know... his natural position blah blah blah

[edit] Malouda, I mean if that post was too vague.

Back