The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
This is it though. he is a good defender, but there goes their high line. Unless Wenger is actually making a tactical change

Yeah but tbh he is very good defender. We played fairly high line with Vidic but we had Rio. Vidic is not as slow as Mertesacker but considering all their other CBs I would say he is better than all bar Verma. Worth a risk.

Shouldn't really buy players that require that if it's possible. And right now there are options out there that could play in our high line without relying on their partner.

I don't like to be too critical of Wenger but just pull your f**king finger out, stump up an extra 5 mill and buy Cahill and not have the worry of whether he will cope with the high line.

So why can't you play with slightly deeper line? Its not like there is a tactic and you have to buy players who only fit that tactics. Sometimes you can buy can make few modifications.

Mertesacker > Cahill bar pace.

**** all this. Like I said if possible buy Lugano if the deal to PSG is not done yet.

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

Curtis touched on this before, made an excellent point in that he thinks Wenger is going 4-3-3 this season because of his central options. In that case the high d-line isnt as hugely required as in the 4-2-3-1 (in order to squeeze the space between the dc and mc), and Mertesackers signing makes more sense, because his weakness gets covered.

However this will put the onus on Ramsey, and the wide players to get goals, at least 15-20 each

Wenger should tell Song to stop roaming forward and making them susceptible to counter attacks. He should play as DM like Mikel does and should anchor the midfield. Else Wenger should play him box to box and play Frimpong as pure DM. That solves the high line problem.

Mertesacker. That's what I call a ******* defender. Get him in.

Yeah but tbh he is very good defender. We played fairly high line with Vidic but we had Rio. Vidic is not as slow as Mertesacker but considering all their other CBs I would say he is better than all bar Verma. Worth a risk.

So why can't you play with slightly deeper line? Its not like there is a tactic and you have to buy players who only fit that tactics. Sometimes you can buy can make few modifications.

Mertesacker > Cahill bar pace.

**** all this. Like I said if possible buy Lugano if the deal to PSG is not done yet.

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

Wenger should tell Song to stop roaming forward and making them susceptible to counter attacks. He should play as DM like Mikel does and should anchor the midfield. Else Wenger should play him box to box and play Frimpong as pure DM. That solves the high line problem.

If he is playing Mertesacker that needs to happen, because if you cover his weakness = tank. If not, bit of a liability

If he is playing Mertesacker that needs to happen, because if you cover his weakness = tank. If not, bit of a liability

Yes. They need to play as a team complimenting others weakness.

When we played Arsenal, score was 6-2. Young ran all the way to defend and cover for Evra. On the other hand Walcott and Arshavin poor work rate exposed their full backs so badly, even more shame that they both were young FBs. They need that work ethic. (Not gloating about ManUtd here, even Barca players, Messi tracks all the way back)

Andre Santos has caps as well. Reports coming that Elia fancies the EPL rather Serie A. Should we pony up? It won't help break Ryo or Chamb into the squad, but the depth would make it good business.

He tears fullbacks to shreds, just nasty stuff from what I've seen.

It is not about if we think that tactics can be modified or not, but about if Wenger would do so. If he is going to change his tactics if needed, then f****ng great to sign Mertesaker.

gunnerblog gilbertosilver

Mertesacker is Werder Bremen captain. Park Chu-Young captains his country. Both have over 50 international caps. #experience
Good point.

£16M deal for Santos and Mertesacker. Excellent prices Santos £6m and Mertesacker £10m

Andre Santos has caps as well. Reports coming that Elia fancies the EPL rather Serie A. Should we pony up? It won't help break Ryo or Chamb into the squad, but the depth would make it good business.

He tears fullbacks to shreds, just nasty stuff from what I've seen.

Don't think he's coming, because after todays training with the Dutch squad he will fly to Turin (which is confirmed by the reliable dutch NOS). And btw Elia is really inconsistent, a bit like Arshavin. He has his moments, but he could also be 90 minutes ****.

Don't think he's coming, because after todays training with the Dutch squad he will fly to Turin (which is confirmed by the reliable dutch NOS). And btw Elia is really inconsistent, a bit like Arshavin. He has his moments, but he could also be 90 minutes ****.

Ah I see what you mean, another Ryan Babel-type. Pass then.

Does anyone know what type of player Park Chu-Yong (sp?) is?

eg. Fast, poacher-like player or creative van Persie style or the tall arial type? etc.

eg. Fast, poacher-like player or creative van Persie style or the tall arial type? etc.

Good all-rounder, really, the closest fit is quick and creative like Van Persie.

onearsenewenger Stringfellow Hawke

There were 2 players laughing and smirking on the pitch on Sunday... both are getting the chop. Nicely played, Arsene.

Not necessarily what kind of player he is, but this is a pretty well written article about him.

Ambitious Park Chu-Young races towards Arsenal - ESPN Soccernet

Not pleased he'll have to serve military duty in a few years unless the national team do well in the olympics, but looks like he's not a stranger to pressure.

Back