The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
But they didn't. We say this all the time about Arsenal to be honest, but we get criticised for not taking our chances and yet when another team doesn't take their chances against us, it's "They should've been 4-0 up". If Ramsey had scored early on against Swansea it probably would have been easier. Walcott could've scored bar Caulker clearing off the line, etc.

It's the same with one team or the other in every game. Ifs, buts and maybes. We got a point which is a perfectly good result and it took them a ridiculously good equaliser to get anything from the game, regardless of what they deserved.

You still picked up a very lucky point, and if you defend like that first half again, chances are you'll get thumped. Good as the result is, i'd still be worried about some aspects of the performance

the second half defensive display was pretty good. Koscielny was amazing, and song held the world together. Onwards and upwards.
and Woj, he continues to improve and impress

and Woj, he continues to improve and impress

yup. the goalie 'crisis' is gone. could and should be our #1 for 10 years or so.. (until some sweaty team comes and gets him for 30m)

But they didn't. We say this all the time about Arsenal to be honest, but we get criticised for not taking our chances and yet when another team doesn't take their chances against us, it's "They should've been 4-0 up". If Ramsey had scored early on against Swansea it probably would have been easier. Walcott could've scored bar Caulker clearing off the line, etc.

It's the same with one team or the other in every game. Ifs, buts and maybes. We got a point which is a perfectly good result and it took them a ridiculously good equaliser to get anything from the game, regardless of what they deserved.

To be fair to Mike, he's criticising Dortmund for not going 4-0 up just the same as he would criticise Arsenal for not going 4-0 up.

You still picked up a very lucky point, and if you defend like that first half again, chances are you'll get thumped. Good as the result is, i'd still be worried about some aspects of the performance

Sure, we clearly need to improve on some aspects of our game still. But tbh, the squad is still gelling and recovering from the Utd defeat IMHO so I'm not especially worried. Some of your defending against us was pretty poor, and De Gea was once again fairly disappointing that day but it's the result that matters.

I just think it's stupidly hypocritical for everyone to say "that's football - you have to take your chances" when we lose/draw but dominate, but "you should've got beat" when we're dominated but win/draw. Take your pick and stick to it, rather than changing your view depending on who's playing. That's not just directed at you, Mike, but everyone - I've seen a lot of people do exactly that tonight and it's annoying because we got the point and from what I've been reading we actually weren't as bad as some people will have me believe.

---------- Post added at 12:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 AM ----------

To be fair to Mike, he's criticising Dortmund for not going 4-0 up just the same as he would criticise Arsenal for not going 4-0 up.

I guess, but then he also seems pretty keen to point out the number of chances we conceded, and as I said - it's not just directed at Mike, but at a lot of people who are being ridiculously inconsistent when judging us - or rather, when criticising us.

Sure, we clearly need to improve on some aspects of our game still. But tbh, the squad is still gelling and recovering from the Utd defeat IMHO so I'm not especially worried. Some of your defending against us was pretty poor, and De Gea was once again fairly disappointing that day but it's the result that matters.

I just think it's stupidly hypocritical for everyone to say "that's football - you have to take your chances" when we lose/draw but dominate, but "you should've got beat" when we're dominated but win/draw. Take your pick and stick to it, rather than changing your view depending on who's playing. That's not just directed at you, Mike, but everyone - I've seen a lot of people do exactly that tonight and it's annoying because we got the point and from what I've been reading we actually weren't as bad as some people will have me believe.

Er, not sure where ive been hypocritical, as Godcubed said, im criticsing their poor finishing as much as your poor defending. That's two points they dropped, which is exactly why Klopp was raging, even after the equaliser.

I point them out, becuase they were very poor bits of defending, the line was suicidially high, even though every man and his dog knew such a high line presented a risk.

"More than half (53%) of Dortmund's shots were from outside of the box, while #Arsenal only attempted 25% of their shots from outside the box"
Seems like we did well to force them to take so many long-shots tbh. I'll need to watch the match tomorrow though.

"More than half (53%) of Dortmund's shots were from outside of the box, while #Arsenal only attempted 25% of their shots from outside the box"
Seems like we did well to force them to take so many long-shots tbh. I'll need to watch the match tomorrow though.

They also did have about double our shots...

Er, not sure where ive been hypocritical, as Godcubed said, im criticsing their poor finishing as much as your poor defending. That's two points they dropped, which is exactly why Klopp was raging, even after the equaliser.

I point them out, becuase they were very poor bits of defending, the line was suicidially high, even though every man and his dog knew such a high line presented a risk.

That's why I said it was directed at the other people too ;)

Seem to have mis-read your post a bit to be fair, although there are clearly still positives to take from the game rather than just focusing on how many goals they should or shouldn't have had.

---------- Post added at 01:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 AM ----------

They also did have about double our shots...

Not sure what relevance that has. I'm not talking about how many more shots they had, I'm saying that more than half of them were from outside the box.

tbf, the high line was ridiculous. we got away with a few moments, but then adapted, and really defended well. in the second half, it seemed like the players wanted to play for the Arsenal shirt, song in particular. i think the performances will come, but I definitely see the commitment to the cause there.

tbf, the high line was ridiculous. we got away with a few moments, but then adapted, and really defended well. in the second half, it seemed like the players wanted to play for the Arsenal shirt, song in particular. i think the performances will come, but I definitely see the commitment to the cause there.

Yeah I'm not dismissing everything Mike (and others) have said. I'm sure we weren't perfect and to concede so many chances is clearly a negative but the general point (of "they should/could've have battered you) seems harsh - to me at least - when we got a perfectly decent point and the perspective always seems to be different from the critics when Arsenal dominate a match and don't get a good result.

Yeah I'm not dismissing everything Mike (and others) have said. I'm sure we weren't perfect and to concede so many chances is clearly a negative but the general point (of "they should/could've have battered you) seems harsh - to me at least - when we got a perfectly decent point and the perspective always seems to be different from the critics when Arsenal dominate a match and don't get a good result.

i see what your getting at, and agree to an extent. It's almost a lose-lose for Arsenal, whatever the outcome.

Right. Bed-time. I'm ******* exhausted - Mike, pick up the argument where we left off same time tomorrow? ;)

I'll watch the match tomorrow morning and give some thoughts if/when I get some time. Still think we can win this group without too much difficulty and a 1-1 draw is definitely not a bad result considering all the circumstances (although I know they've not had the best season so far anyway, they were at least at home) and that it could have been worse.

Its not harsh, though Arsenal were much improved, and RVP was just a menace throughout. If we play like that against Benfica,my thoughts will be the same, actually scratch that, ill be raging if we play like that

I still think Arsenal need a true holding midfielder. Song in the first half was absolutely dreadful. (I didn't watch the second half, so someone tell me if he improved?). He was caught wrong side of their attacking midfielders all the time and was dreadful in possession. If Arsenal signed someone like M'Vila, someone to just sit and stay in front of the back 4, then I think they'd be better off. I may be wrong ofc.

Off Topic: I was discussing during the game with someone Nuri Sahin, as he kicked a ball for Madrid yet?

I still think Arsenal need a true holding midfielder. Song in the first half was absolutely dreadful. (I didn't watch the second half, so someone tell me if he improved?). He was caught wrong side of their attacking midfielders all the time and was dreadful in possession. If Arsenal signed someone like M'Vila, someone to just sit and stay in front of the back 4, then I think they'd be better off. I may be wrong ofc.

Off Topic: I was discussing during the game with someone Nuri Sahin, as he kicked a ball for Madrid yet?

he was improved second half, as was most of the side.

Stressful, isn't ?

Borussia Dortumind 1-1 Arsenal: Pat Rice says game without Arsene Wenger was strange and stressful - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Arsene Wenger saw Champions League victory snatched from Arsenal's grasp last night.

Borussia Dortmund substitute Ivan Perisic smashed home a dramatic last gasp volley to cancel out van Persie's first half opener. It left Arsenal assistant boss Pat Rice - in charge because of Arsene Wenger's touchline ban - admitting he could not take the stress on a regular basis. Wenger was caught on TV pumping his fist in delight at the final whistle but Rice wished the Arsenal boss had been on the touchline.

"It was extremely strange not to have the manager with me," said Rice. "He is normally shouting in my ear. "It was a strange decision for him not to be on contact. Did I like it? No. "It has never been one of my ambitions to be manager of a football club. Very strange. Too stressful for me."

Arsenal had to survive a first half onslaught before digging out a precious point against the German champions. Rice paid tribute to his players and, in particular van Persie, for his goal and showing a captain's qualities by going over to the bench to try and change tactics in the first half. Rice added: "We battled really hard and we knew it would be hard game. To be able to defend well is a high quality skill and that is something we did this evening. I don’t think many teams will beat Dortmund.

"It was nothing unusual to see Robin do that and score. It was a great run by Robin and a terrific ball through. It was unusual to see Robin hit it with his right foot but it proves he is not a one-foot footballer. "Robin is the club captain and we encouraged him to be verbal on the park and off it. He was asking me one or two things about what we could so better and I was saying one or two things which could make the team better."

Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp admitted Sebastian Kehl made a mistake on Arsenal's opener. Klopp added: "Yes, s**t happens, it can happen but I am generally very happy with the performance."

Koscielny was awful in the 1st half but he and Mertesacker defended admirably in the 2nd half as Dortmund failed to make their domination count in the 2nd, wonderful goal though.

hopefully ur not say we shoud buy him. LOL.
imo he might be better off playing at REAL till the end. i think he's currently injured, and might return by late September hopefully

Back