The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
I still think Arsenal need a true holding midfielder. Song in the first half was absolutely dreadful. (I didn't watch the second half, so someone tell me if he improved?). He was caught wrong side of their attacking midfielders all the time and was dreadful in possession. If Arsenal signed someone like M'Vila, someone to just sit and stay in front of the back 4, then I think they'd be better off. I may be wrong ofc.

Off Topic: I was discussing during the game with someone Nuri Sahin, as he kicked a ball for Madrid yet?

What we need is to scrap the 4-1-2-3 tactic we've been using this season which clearly isn't good enough and bring back the 4-2-1-3 from last season which we used when we beat Barca, Chelsea, Utd - give Ramsey the freedom of the No.10 role to actually get the best out of him and take some of the pressure of Song by having two players dropping back into holding roles rather than one covering the width of the pitch in a holding role.

I didn't see most of the game - of what I did see, in the second half, Song was excellent. He broke up play well and got in some good tackles. I think he's an excellent player that's really under-rated and harshly criticised by people who didn't understand last year's tactic,

Sahin, Altintop, among others (I believe) are injured.

Remembered best BACK 4.

View attachment 195511

lee Dixon, Adams, bould and winterburn :wub: them all

Legends.

Also that front four of Henry, Bergkamp, Pires & Ljungberg.

Basically, we had some ******* awesome teams.

Pretty lucky point last night
Borussia will have their top striker back for the rematch though, so if Arsenal don't improve drastically it's going to be a slaughter

Pretty lucky point last night
Borussia will have their top striker back for the rematch though, so if Arsenal don't improve drastically it's going to be a slaughter
We should have Vermaelen back by then and could have Wilshere back. Add to that the new guys will of had an extra couple of months to gel so even with Dortmund getting Barrios back, we should be alright.

hopefully ur not say we shoud buy him. LOL.
imo he might be better off playing at REAL till the end. i think he's currently injured, and might return by late September hopefully

No, I wasn't saying you should buy him, it was just a discussion I was having with someone about Dortmund not having one of their best players anymore. Ah, right, fair enough if he's injured.

The result is good I guess but it's worrying that we're two players short of our full strength lineup. We looked pretty pedestrian. On the bright side, Song and Kos were brilliant defensively and Benayoun/Arteta showed some glimpses of quality, although Arteta tires worryingly quickly. Walcott was terrible.

Right - just finished watching the first half. Mike has a point with Dortmund's chances (although I'd only really call Kagawa and Lewandoski's chances clear-cut unless I'm forgetting something: 4-0 would certainly have been harsh), but to be fair - Arsenal had chances too. Van Persie was played in and should've done better, Gervinho got a chance early on and was denied by a last-ditch tackle - those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head, plus the goal obviously.

Right - just finished watching the first half. Mike has a point with Dortmund's chances (although I'd only really call Kagawa and Lewandoski's chances clear-cut unless I'm forgetting something: 4-0 would certainly have been harsh), but to be fair - Arsenal had chances too. Van Persie was played in and should've done better, Gervinho got a chance early on and was denied by a last-ditch tackle - those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head, plus the goal obviously.

I saw some highlights last night, may be wrong but I remember Kagawa's chance, a run from the left (I think it was Lewandowski) into the box that ended up in a shot from a tight angle going over the bar (I think a cutback would've been a better call but it's easy to say that sitting in your living room) and I think it was a corner in which, after a series of rebounds, the ball ended up at the feet of someone in a yellow shirt who shot straight at the keeper.

I saw some highlights last night, may be wrong but I remember Kagawa's chance, a run from the left (I think it was Lewandowski) into the box that ended up in a shot from a tight angle going over the bar (I think a cutback would've been a better call but it's easy to say that sitting in your living room) and I think it was a corner in which, after a series of rebounds, the ball ended up at the feet of someone in a yellow shirt who shot straight at the keeper.

I've only seen the first half - don't remember the second one, the first one wasn't really a good chance IMO. It would have taken an excellent finish to beat Szczesny from a difficult angle just inside the box.

I've only seen the first half - don't remember the second one, the first one wasn't really a good chance IMO. It would have taken an excellent finish to beat Szczesny from a difficult angle just inside the box.

I'm not sure it was such a difficult chance - it wasn't the easiest of chances either, mind. Either way, it doesn't really matter, does it? It wasn't a goal and that's the end of the story. I'm sure you'll be much improved for the following match, as your new signings have only been with you for 2 weeks.

I'm not sure it was such a difficult chance - it wasn't the easiest of chances either, mind. Either way, it doesn't really matter, does it? It wasn't a goal and that's the end of the story. I'm sure you'll be much improved for the following match, as your new signings have only been with you for 2 weeks.

That's exactly what I've been saying!

I think we will be too. We weren't bad at all from what I've seen so far TBH.

What we need is to scrap the 4-1-2-3 tactic we've been using this season which clearly isn't good enough and bring back the 4-2-1-3 from last season which we used when we beat Barca, Chelsea, Utd - give Ramsey the freedom of the No.10 role to actually get the best out of him and take some of the pressure of Song by having two players dropping back into holding roles rather than one covering the width of the pitch in a holding role.

I didn't see most of the game - of what I did see, in the second half, Song was excellent. He broke up play well and got in some good tackles. I think he's an excellent player that's really under-rated and harshly criticised by people who didn't understand last year's tactic,

Sahin, Altintop, among others (I believe) are injured.

Legends.

Also that front four of Henry, Bergkamp, Pires & Ljungberg.

Basically, we had some ******* awesome teams.

hopefully arsenal.com 125 anniversary pics will post that one too.

but u cant leave out Viera :P

We'll see how much he wins at Barca. They will have tough time in both Spain and CL.

Not sure why Cesc is getting stick for being honest. He was obviously frustrated by the lack of trophies and he's just saying that he couldn't see it ending this year with the strength of teams like City and Utd, while he also points out that money has had a big factor.

The thing that annoyed me was his comments about the clause in the deal. Just seemed as if he didn't care about it/us at all and only agreed to it because Arsenal saw it as necessary before they let him go. Would rather he just said something like "let's see what happens" rather than "I don't think it's likely" or something like that.

@cesc4official Cesc Fàbregas Soler
Id never speak 1 bad work abt AFC, here there's once more prove that so many people put in newspaper wtv they want and its not professional.

I want Arsenal to be succesfull as much as every single fan. Thats not why i left, it was never in my mind. AFC made me who i am today.

And nobody will ever change that. I never gave any interview away since my press conference at my presentation and there i just said...

...The truth and what came out of my heart. Great words abt this great football club cause that just what they deserve: succes and trophies.

Zoomed by Nathan.

Glad to hear him say that - not that I ever doubted his love for Arsenal, just that he seemed a little indifferent about the clause. <3

Back