The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Can't really see AW putting van Persie on the wing to be honest. He's got a fabulous cross but I'd have thought he'd be a bit limited, especially on that left side. He's our best player, best shooter, probably most determined and brave so we need him to barge around up front. Maybe it'll be worth a shot for a 'smaller' game (if we have those anymore :S) as to change around if it's not suiting without having to worry about things going wrong.

Well what I meant was to have Arshavin/Gervinho on the left wing, RVP on the opposite side, and Walcott in the middle. I was only playing on the fact that Theo has previously said (many times) that he prefers playing as a striker, and that Robin has also previously said that while he does enjoy playing as a striker, his natural position is as an attacking winger.

In all honesty, the way that they both said they prefer to play, you would think that Wenger would at least try RVP out on the right wing and Walcott as a striker?

The strike force would most likely look like ..

Arshavin - Walcott - RVP

nah i dont think RVP is good at the wings. swap him with walcott and it will be good.

nah i dont think RVP is good at the wings. swap him with walcott and it will be good.

What you meant to say there was, "Just keep to what Wenger is playing currently, even if we're not doing all that great".

Right?

Well what I meant was to have Arshavin/Gervinho on the left wing, RVP on the opposite side, and Walcott in the middle. I was only playing on the fact that Theo has previously said (many times) that he prefers playing as a striker, and that Robin has also previously said that while he does enjoy playing as a striker, his natural position is as an attacking winger.

ahh i see what u mean. i was think like rvp will start run down the right had side as all wingers does. XD

In FM terms, think of RVP as an AMR, and Walcott as a STC.

well if u want walcoot on the stc, then were better off moving to our old 4-4-2 when ade was at arsenal. rvp and walcott to lead the line. gerhcino and arshavin in the wings. rosicky/arteta and song in the middle.

and maybe RVP in the winger better be Inside forward or something in your case.

well if u want walcoot on the stc, then were better off moving to our old 4-4-2 when ade was at arsenal. rvp and walcott to lead the line. gerhcino and arshavin in the wings. rosicky/arteta and song in the middle.

and maybe RVP in the winger better be Inside forward or something in your case.

But the problem there is the loss of possession in the centre. Plus, with only two centre-mid positions up for grabs, there would be a huge fight for them.
Arteta, Rosicky, Ramsey, Wilshere, and Song just to name a few of the first-teamers.

But the problem there is the loss of possession in the centre. Plus, with only two centre-mid positions up for grabs, there would be a huge fight for them.
Arteta, Rosicky, Ramsey, Wilshere, and Song just to name a few of the first-teamers.

then we have to play a narrow formation if what rvp in the winger. but as i said, it weird for him to be run down the wings XD. walcott having a bad day. just put gerhino there and it will work. (XD)

then we have to play a narrow formation if what rvp in the winger. but as i said, it weird for him to be run down the wings XD. walcott having a bad day. just put gerhino there and it will work. (XD)

Just seems to me like you don't rate Theo at all as a starting player?

Walcott is a ****, football-playing version of Usain Bolt.

He's not ****; he's just not as good as he's hyped up to be. He's even said recently he wouldn't be a footballer if he hadn't been noticed for his pace.

He's not ****; he's just not as good as he's hyped up to be. He's even said recently he wouldn't be a footballer if he hadn't been noticed for his pace.

He's not good enough to be in your starting XI.

I feel a bit sorry for RVP atm. His outstanding form deserves more than an isolated role up front.

He's not good enough to be in your starting XI.

I disagree, and I also remember when the media taunted Wenger for signing a man named Thierry Henry, because he failed at his previous clubs. Funny how Henry turned out to be our greatest-ever player. I don't expect Theo to be the same obviously, but he's still young and has time to learn if he gets first-team football.

Jenkinson out for three weeks with a hyperextended knee. Via @northbanklower

Expect to see Coquelin or Djourou starting at RB for Stoke.

I disagree, and I also remember when the media taunted Wenger for signing a man named Thierry Henry, because he failed at his previous clubs. Funny how Henry turned out to be our greatest-ever player. I don't expect Theo to be the same obviously, but he's still young and has time to learn if he gets first-team football.

But he lacks the basic technique to fulfill the potential he has. He started playing at the age of 10? That's too old. He missed out on football being a part of his physical growth as a kid. Our body and mind is best adapted to learning before the age of 9 or something

As for the problem with what to do with Walcott, we should switch to a 4-4-2 at the very least for home games. No disrespect to sides such as Bolton, Swansea and Norwich but we should really be putting at least 3 goals past them. And as good as van Persie is against those teams just having him upfront isn't going to be enough some games. All the other top teams tend to play more attacking at home against the 'weaker' sides yet we stick with the 4-5-1/4-3-3 hybrid every single game.

Either have Theo and RVP or Chamakh/Park and RVP up front. Rotate the wing, depending on form and health, between Gervinho, Arshavin, Chamberlain and Ryo. In the middle of the park have an anchorman like Song or Coquelin playing alongside someone given the freedom to play in the space behind the strikers such as Arteta or Ramsey.

As for the problem with what to do with Walcott, we should switch to a 4-4-2 at the very least for home games. No disrespect to sides such as Bolton, Swansea and Norwich but we should really be putting at least 3 goals past them. And as good as van Persie is against those teams just having him upfront isn't going to be enough some games. All the other top teams tend to play more attacking at home against the 'weaker' sides yet we stick with the 4-5-1/4-3-3 hybrid every single game.

Either have Theo and RVP or Chamakh/Park and RVP up front. Rotate the wing, depending on form and health, between Gervinho, Arshavin, Chamberlain and Ryo. In the middle of the park have an anchorman like Song or Coquelin playing alongside someone given the freedom to play in the space behind the strikers such as Arteta or Ramsey.

I agree with all of this except that Song doesn't really stick right ahead of the defense. He too likes to venture forward and we'd be left for dead if he did that in a 4-4-2 since our defense lacks pace as it is. But a switch to a 4-4-2 would be a very good one in an attacking sense imo ; would allow van Persie to drop deep and create more whilst Walcott can attack through the centre in a poacher-ish role.

Back