The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
I disagree, and I also remember when the media taunted Wenger for signing a man named Thierry Henry, because he failed at his previous clubs. Funny how Henry turned out to be our greatest-ever player. I don't expect Theo to be the same obviously, but he's still young and has time to learn if he gets first-team football.

Yeah well, he's got an awful lot to learn if you expect him to be good enough to at least clean Henry's boots.

As for the problem with what to do with Walcott, we should switch to a 4-4-2 at the very least for home games. No disrespect to sides such as Bolton, Swansea and Norwich but we should really be putting at least 3 goals past them. And as good as van Persie is against those teams just having him upfront isn't going to be enough some games. All the other top teams tend to play more attacking at home against the 'weaker' sides yet we stick with the 4-5-1/4-3-3 hybrid every single game.

Either have Theo and RVP or Chamakh/Park and RVP up front. Rotate the wing, depending on form and health, between Gervinho, Arshavin, Chamberlain and Ryo. In the middle of the park have an anchorman like Song or Coquelin playing alongside someone given the freedom to play in the space behind the strikers such as Arteta or Ramsey.

I think you're completely misunderstanding the point of a 4-5-1/4-2-3-1/4-3-3/whatever you want to call it... We don't have one player up-front, we effectively have three. It's just that Walcott's been awful so far and Arshavin is useless. The 4-3-3 suits Van Persie, and our midfield. And Walcott does play as a striker, it's just that he doesn't start in that position - he drifts inside from the right when Van Persie drops back or moves into the channels so there's always an option to play that through-ball through the middle for Walcott to run onto.

The less chance Walcott has to dribble, the better. It's so frustrating when he attempts a dribble and half way through he has left the ball behind and broke his stride. But then, he can blow you away with pace and a composed finish, and that's more than any of us can say for Arshavin right now.

I think you're completely misunderstanding the point of a 4-5-1/4-2-3-1/4-3-3/whatever you want to call it... We don't have one player up-front, we effectively have three. It's just that Walcott's been awful so far and Arshavin is useless. The 4-3-3 suits Van Persie, and our midfield. And Walcott does play as a striker, it's just that he doesn't start in that position - he drifts inside from the right when Van Persie drops back or moves into the channels so there's always an option to play that through-ball through the middle for Walcott to run onto.
I know about van Persie dropping back and Gervinho/Walcott/Arshavin then cut in from the wings to act as strikers, but I'd rather see us just play with 2 strikers always upfront rather than the dropping back and cutting in we have now.

The less chance Walcott has to dribble, the better. It's so frustrating when he attempts a dribble and half way through he has left the ball behind and broke his stride. But then, he can blow you away with pace and a composed finish, and that's more than any of us can say for Arshavin right now.

Do you think he's similar to Everton's Billy? On his day, he can be good and score the odd goal, but most of the time hit and miss?

Do you think he's similar to Everton's Billy? On his day, he can be good and score the odd goal, but most of the time hit and miss?
Definitely. On paper, Arshavin's stats really don't look too bad. 10 goals and 17 assists in 52 matches last season. But his general play is too frustrating and often a burden.

Jenkinson out for three weeks with a hyperextended knee. Via @northbanklower

Expect to see Coquelin or Djourou starting at RB for Stoke.

LOL wtf!!!. hyper ???? haha
well i prefer djouro for rb, and Coquelin in DM. :)

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

well said by Jossy.

that is what i meant @Gonner eagle. is either Walcott steps up or suck up ;)

---------- Post added 22/10/2011 at 01:14 AM ---------- Previous post was 20/10/2011 at 08:26 PM ----------

you have been Warned. XD

esrb-m-abgavssc.png

[video=youtube;vcDze3KNfBM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcDze3KNfBM&feature=feedrec_grec_index[/video]

just randomliy found it on the web XD *NO HOMMO !*

Last edited:
^

Superb letter nice from Weger to reply to him

this, and it also Arsene's birthday too :P now lets win on Sunday. screw the Manchester derby, im watching 'bottle kicker' vs 'track and suits with a baseball cap' ;)

Last edited:
anyone got a SopCast stream? will listen to ArsenalPlayer otherwise.

Dominant display from us so far. Really should be more though, especially with that Chamakh chance.

Crouch just equalized. ****.

''The crisis club is now 2 points behind 'ambitious' Liverpool''

Utd getting thumped 6-1, Arsenal beating our bogey team Stoke 3-1, van Persie scoring a brace, Gervinho looking brilliant........I couldn't have asked for more from this Sunday. :)

Van Persie is such a hero. Pleased with the result, Stoke are always tough.

Calum - hate to burst your bubble, but I'm 90% sure that if the reply letter is even real, it wasn't written by him.

Great win today (didn't watch it but shh!) and a near perfect day.

Back