The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/vermaelen-available-for-chelsea-match

Arsenal centre back [URL="http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/thomas-vermaelen"]Thomas Vermaelen
is available for selection for Saturday's big London derby at Chelsea.
The defender came off with cramp in his calf towards the end of his comeback in last night's 2-1 Carling Cup victory over Bolton but following a good night's rest he has reported for training today.
Speaking after the game Thomas said: "It was great to be back and to get time on the pitch. I felt fresh, I’m OK and am available for Saturday."
[/URL]

phew. good news at last. so it could be Merts and Vermaelen at cb for Saturday !

Going to have to wake up at 7:30 am to watch the game tomorrow. Pretty pumped for it!

Via Opta Stats:

The suspended Didier Drogba has scored 13 goals in 14 appearances against Arsenal in all competitions. Arsenal's record against Chelsea with him playing is W1 D3 L10, but in his absence Arsenal have won two, drawn one and lost none.

Arsenal have won six times in the Premier League at Stamford Bridge, more often than any other team.

Robin van Persie has scored 25 goals in 26 Premier League appearances in 2011.

:D

The Gunners have conceded five goals from free kicks this season, more than any other team. :(

---------- Post added at 08:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 AM ----------

Going to have to wake up at 7:30 am to watch the game tomorrow. Pretty pumped for it!

On that note, I'll have to wake up at 5:30 am to catch the game. But I'm sure it will be worth it.

Via Opta Stats:

The suspended Didier Drogba has scored 13 goals in 14 appearances against Arsenal in all competitions. Arsenal's record against Chelsea with him playing is W1 D3 L10, but in his absence Arsenal have won two, drawn one and lost none.

Arsenal have won six times in the Premier League at Stamford Bridge, more often than any other team.

Robin van Persie has scored 25 goals in 26 Premier League appearances in 2011.

:D

The Gunners have conceded five goals from free kicks this season, more than any other team. :(

---------- Post added at 08:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 AM ----------

On that note, I'll have to wake up at 5:30 am to catch the game. But I'm sure it will be worth it.

dont worry mate, u still have the Belgian Monster Lukaku to deal with ;)

77m4h1

RVP on fire. screw man city wanting to get him. rvp = 110m pounds. but most of all rvp to sign a new contract at arsenal is just days away :P

Things that made me happy today (order of importance):

1. Cashley having a significant part to play in the 4th [Arsenal] goal (giving the ball to RvP with his attempted pass to Terry).
2. Terry falling over and gifting us a goal.
3. Vermaelen running 80 yards to celebrate with Van Persie and the others after he scored the 5th Arsenal goal.
4. Walcott dicking on Cashley, Terry and whoever else it was for his goal.
5. Arsenal winning at Stamford Bridge for the first time in god know's how long.

Dicked. On. :wub:

Incredible game, and an amazing win against the odds. So typical of us to go behind after we've missed two great chances to go into the lead but not so typical of us in recent years to stage such an awesome come-back and show that kind of team-spirit. The reaction of the players at the end was truly superb, and now I'm running out of superlatives so I'll simply say that today - for me - proved two things:

a) Robin van Persie is one of the best strikers in the world, never mind the Premier League at the moment. He didn't play all that well, and yet he still scored 3 excellent goals; particularly the third one.

b) We're not a one-man team. Van Persie, other than his goals, was actually off-form today - his touch was often poor, he missed a great chance at 0-0 and he wasn't as heavily involved as he usually is. But the rest of the team stepped up their game - Gervinho was superb, as was Walcott... Ramsey and Arteta were at their creative best and even Andre Santos got himself on the score sheet.

Van Persie may get the goals, and the plaudits, but that was a team performance.

1. Cashley having a significant part to play in the 4th [Arsenal] goal (giving the ball to RvP with his attempted pass to Terry).
5. Arsenal winning at Stamford Bridge for the first time in god know's how long.

1. It was Malouda's back pass. Cole to Malouda, who passed it to RVP.
2. I think you won there in 2008-09 season with RVP scoring twice.

---------- Post added at 01:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 AM ----------

Re checked, yes you won in 2008-09. It was 2-1 with Almunia giving the ball away for them to score then I think RVP scored a controversial goal. Either offside or hand ball.

1. It was Malouda's back pass. Cole to Malouda, who passed it to RVP.
2. I think you won there in 2008-09 season with RVP scoring twice.

It was Cashley if I said it was Cashley, mkay? LET ME HAVE MY FUN.

2. Terry falling over and gifting us a goal.
3. Vermaelen running 80 yards to celebrate with Van Persie and the others after he scored the 5th Arsenal goal.
4. Walcott dicking on Cashley, Terry and whoever else it was for his goal.

1. That was Malouda who passed it wasn't it?

Bit of a stretch. Give him two years and Van Persie will be Bergkamp-esque, but I doubt Walcott will ever be the next Thierry Henry.

it's only a picture..

ANYWAY.

What a fookin' result. Were truly back, no doubt about it. RVP continues to amaze me, and the unity looked really good between the team today. Once we can get a settled back four, I hope we can improve on that side of our game, and drive towards fourth place!

The Arsenal :wub:

Bit of a stretch. Give him two years and Van Persie will be Bergkamp-esque, but I doubt Walcott will ever be the next Thierry Henry.

That was posted by fourfourtom (Arsenal fan) on twitter, I see that in a different way. How much Arsenal have regressed. I can compare RVP and Bergkamp but #14 is way way off the mark.

Back