The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
@JackWilshereJack Wilshere
It is true I have had a set back I can't tell you how long I have been set back because I don't know! I am very annoyed but will stay strong

Sigh.

lVtpK.jpg

See you next season Jack.

He played 49 games last season! and with him being only 18/19 during that season he burnt out.

He really shouldn't have played soo many games that season but with Cesc and Thomo being injured a lot he had to and we have paid for it this season.

Time to get the money out and by some real creative midfield talent wenger, our midfield is mediocre at best in terms of the champions league, and was crying out for jacks return, without him or an equally talented replacement. I have no faith in wenger however, he is far too stubborn the more the game changes and cries out for him to spend the more set in his ways he becomes. No CL next season for us, and as such we will lose out on long term targets like Hazard or Goetze, the other English teams will bring in what they need and we will be left behind, we need superstars, title winning and champions league winning sides are filled with superstars, we only have one. Sad times for us gunners.

We don't need to sign players like Gotze that are going to cost £40m.

What we do need however is to sign players superior to Rosicky and Denilson.

You just asked me this in person, and I responded.

In a nut-shell = Tottenham spent 8m on VDV and he has quality. Sign players like that in multiple positions = success without breaking the bank.

In a nut-shell = Tottenham spent 8m on VDV and he has quality. Sign players like that in multiple positions = success without breaking the bank.

To be fair, bargains like VDV come by rarely... more often than not, you need to spend money to get quality players in

Yeah, but if you base success on a few bargains like that without spending decent money in between, then you're left with the same problem.

How many other players have we got of VDV's quality at £7.4 million? We haven't based our entire team on such a fiscal policy.

VDV bit of a one-off. Don't think we could pluck that out of our **** for multiple positions.

On the other hand, you can look at us when it comes to not breaking the bank. FA Cup, Europe (yeah it was diastrous but still). It just seems stupid to pay so much money on an individual player, when you can get players with exactly the same potential in lower leagues. We got Cahill at a stupidly cheap price and he turned out to be a great player. Players like Tim Howard too. And who knows-perhaps Gibson will end up being just as good. There's so much talent out there at more reasonable prices that are being looked over.

Saying that financially we were already financially broken so had no other option. But still.....

Last edited:
On the other hand, you can look at us when it comes to not breaking the bank. FA Cup, Europe (yeah it was diastrous but still). It just seems stupid to pay so much money on an individual player, when you can get players with exactly the same potential in lower leagues. We got Cahill at a stupidly cheap price and he turned out to be a great player. Players like Tim Howard too. And who knows-perhaps Gibson will end up being just as good. There's so much talent out there at more reasonable prices that are being looked over.

Saying that financially we were already financially broken so had no other option. But still.....

I understand this, but no disrespect, the ambitions of Everton and Arsenal are vastly different.

Everton are able to achieve top half, and even top 7 arguably, doing what they do. Do you think you could achieve top 4 and beyond?

We need to spend money on quality players if we ever want to challenge for the title again and keep the quality players we have.

If we won the Carling Cup last year, I think Nasri would have stayed and signed a new contract. Fabregas would still leave, I reckon, but Nasri would have stayed.

We had Fabregas at the time VDV was sold - when you have Fabregas, you don't need anybody else!
And, we bought Fabregas and van Persie for under 3mil - and they've developed into world class players.

I just hope van Persie stays with us. If we don't qualify for the CL this year, van Persie will leave, and so will Wenger I think.

I'm not suggesting that you can get all your signings from the relatively small sum of 8m. But what I am suggesting is you can get a team worthy of competing for trophies without signing a single player for a ridiculous 30-40m fee.

VDV was just a good example.

You're also more likely to guarantee signing that quality, world class player by paying such a fee, than relying on a bargain to come good.

You clearly have more patience than most Arsenal fans. Whether that is misguided/naïve or not is another matter.

I understand this, but no disrespect, the ambitions of Everton and Arsenal are vastly different.

Everton are able to achieve top half, and even top 7 arguably, doing what they do. Do you think you could achieve top 4 and beyond?

We already gatecrashed the top 4.

But it's going to be a very good while before we can do it again if I'm realistic. Which I pretty am all the time anyway

Last edited:
You're also more likely to guarantee signing that quality, world class player by paying such a fee, than relying on a bargain to come good.

You clearly have more patience than most Arsenal fans. Whether that is misguided/naïve or not is another matter.

Obviously it's more likely, but 'more likely' isn't a good enough reason to wank £40m on a single player. Not for me anyway, if other Arsenal fans want to disagree with that standpoint, then they can - but they'll be the ones that are disappointed time and again when the signing never happens.

Misguided/Naive? I don't believe I've said anything that falls under either category yet.

Back