The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Well, it isn't like I warned you about the intentions... That said, I work on my thesis and I miss 5 pages of stuff!

I think most "long term" fans realise that success is pretty precarious. If you talk to Everton fans, Newcastle fans, Leeds fans.. they understand that whilst the winning is amazing, and is the "postcard moment" for the players, you really do want a stable side who can consistently do something usefu - one day you can be top dog, and then just fade awayl. Shouting on about "the glory years" and then saying "cant disagree with this.." is rather pointless if you want to actually have a discussion. Partisanship from fans is actually irritating, it's simply two people talking -at- each other saying how great they are.

Interestingly most Arsenal fans know the team isn't great, they know they have one of the youngest squads in the league with some young players who are really stepping it up. This season you will find it hard to talk to Arsenal fans who go to games who -won't- happily tell you how much trouble the team would be in without Arteta doing what he does (we havn't won a game without him playing), RVP scoring for fun and Theo being his usual brilliant one day, **** another self. I'd say the lack of recent silverwear is irritating, but at this point the club was right in the middle of a stadium rebuild for the cost of £400 million. We don't have a rich owner so the club has to earn it to pay it back off. Obviously, that's going to impact the situation, and the back to back CL qualification is instrumental to getting the revenue to 1. keep players and 2. move from paying the stadium off to actually reinvesting in top players.

As mentioned before, I think most fans are positive about the club right now, feel it's going in the right direction, and it's exciting to see youth players come and start to have an impact on the first team, especially because those guys tend to be very loyal to the club who helped the develop into players! I don't think we will be winning a CL any time soon, but I've been reading some very positive things about developing a "team" since Arteta came from Everton and stated talking about how close-knit the Everton team is. Supposedly RVP is organising player outings for players and their partners, is actually helping them grow as a "team". If this is on the money then brilliant, as Arsenal's biggest achilles heel in recent years has been having great individuals but lousy team spirit. With youth players, good management, a few sensible buys and the fostering of a team spirit, you have to hope for better things; but be realistic about what you can achieve in football in the short term.

Cba to get banned by Dunc, but can I just point out that it's only been 6 (coming up to 7) years without a trophy, not 8? Cheers.

Also, Mourinho's football was dull as **** and 'unstoppable' means actually being unstoppable surprisingly enough. I.e. Not being beaten for a whole season :)

Cba to get banned by Dunc, but can I just point out that it's only been 6 (coming up to 7) years without a trophy, not 8? Cheers.

Also, Mourinho's football was dull as **** and 'unstoppable' means actually being unstoppable surprisingly enough. I.e. Not being beaten for a whole season :)

You would rather watch fancy football with no end product or success?

He scores when he wants.... :)

[video=youtube;91kaKAB5RcI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91kaKAB5RcI&feature=related[/video]

You would rather watch fancy football with no end product or success?

No, I was just pointing out that CFC Callum said Mourinho's Chelsea side were entertaining, when they weren't.

Finito. No more Chelsea until the Chavs come to the Emirates next week without Ivanovic.

No, I was just pointing out that CFC Callum said Mourinho's Chelsea side were entertaining, when they weren't.

Finito. No more Chelsea until the Chavs come to the Emirates next week without Ivanovic.

I agree Arsenal are a really good team to watch but I am not sure they were quite the same when they were dominant in the Premier League and went on that insane unbeaten run. They were still entertaining to watch but they also were a lot more physical so I think Wenger might need to get a bit of an anchor man for your team in the summer (M'vila ideally) because no doubt one of your downfalls this season has been the goals your defence has leaked.

Also need someone to be able to score goals other than RVP. He has carried you to 3rd place

I agree Arsenal are a really good team to watch but I am not sure they were quite the same when they were dominant in the Premier League and went on that insane unbeaten run. They were still entertaining to watch but they also were a lot more physical so I think Wenger might need to get a bit of an anchor man for your team in the summer (M'vila ideally) because no doubt one of your downfalls this season has been the goals your defence has leaked.

At the start of the season, yeah. Not so much recently, and at full strength I'd argue we have (on paper) one of the best defences in the league - Koscileny has been a revelation and Vermaelen has shown why we missed him so much earlier in the season.

I'd be happy to see someone like M'Vila come in, but at the right price..

Like Jak said, I'd take someone like Podolski before M'Vila. We need cover for RVP more than we need cover for Song. If you think about it, take out RVP and our attack is awfully weak. We definitely need a capable striker in the summer and get rid of someone like Chamakh and maybe Park too.

Also need someone to be able to score goals other than RVP. He has carried you to 3rd place

And yet when he didn't score for 4 games, we still kept our run of form going - Walcott is finishing the season on a high and Arteta's bagged some goals as well.

I agree we're over-reliant on him, but not as much as some people seem to think. We have a balanced team, and with a couple of new players I think we can really push on next season and win something, whether that be the PL (unlikely, admittedly) or something else.

He's top goalscorer... take Rooney and Aguero out of United and City respectively and they would struggle as well.

He has by no means carried us though. With Arteta, Song and most recently Rosicky he would not of scored as many as he has. We have the highest Scoring Defender in Vermaelen , highest scoring midfielder in Arteta and the Highest scoring striker in Van Persie. He's a fantastic player of course but to say he carried us too third is a bit inaccurate seeing as he hasn't scored since we've been in 4th bar the game against Wolves ;)

At the start of the season, yeah. Not so much recently, and at full strength I'd argue we have (on paper) one of the best defences in the league - Koscileny has been a revelation and Vermaelen has shown why we missed him so much earlier in the season.

I'd be happy to see someone like M'Vila come in, but at the right price..

not sure I agree considering you have conceded more goals than 5-6 teams

We haven't had our full first-choice back four playing a lot of games together this season. When they do play together, like Joss said, we do have a pretty good defense.

Injuries are part and parcel of the game though. Man United have not had their first choice back 4 playing together a lot this season yet concede far less goals than you. Personally for me a good defense is one which does not rely on 4 players being fully fit throughout the season

not sure I agree considering you have conceded more goals than 5-6 teams

Well we conceded 14 goals in the first 5 games, which was actually just v LFC, MUFC and BRFC, so as I said - the start of the season has clearly ****** our GD.

We actually have - statistically - the 8th best defence in the league overall, btw (41 conceded, same as SAFC). Chelsea have the 6th best, having conceded just 3 less goals, same as Spurs.

At home we have the 2nd best defence in the league, conceding just 12 compared to City's 10. (Chelsea are 9th, Spurs 11th).

But we have the 13th best defence away from home, conceding 29 goals in 17 A games. Take away the obvious anomaly of the 8-2 defeat and we'd be 6th in that table, with the same no. conceded as Spurs (if for the sake of argument, we call that game 0-0).

If we just take a look at our defence for that game...

Wojciech Szczesny
Carl Jenkinson - Laurent Koscielny - Johan Djourou - Armand Traore

So we're missing our best CB, first choice RB, first and second choice LBs and our 3rd choice DM in front of those guys.

As I said, at full strength, we have one of the best defences in the league imho.

EDIT: In the last 6 games, with a full-strength back 5, we've conceded 3 goals. Same as NC, joint 2nd (to MUFC). Compared to our CL rivals, Tottenham (5) and Chelsea (.6).​

Last edited:
Well we conceded 14 goals in the first 5 games, which was actually just v LFC, MUFC and BRFC, so as I said - the start of the season has clearly ****** our GD.

We actually have - statistically - the 8th best defence in the league overall, btw (41 conceded, same as SAFC). Chelsea have the 6th best, having conceded just 3 less goals, same as Spurs.

At home we have the 2nd best defence in the league, conceding just 12 compared to City's 10. (Chelsea are 9th, Spurs 11th).

But we have the 13th best defence away from home, conceding 29 goals in 17 A games. Take away the obvious anomaly of the 8-2 defeat and we'd be 6th in that table, with the same no. conceded as Spurs (if for the sake of argument, we call that game 0-0).

If we just take a look at our defence for that game...

Wojciech Szczesny
Carl Jenkinson - Laurent Koscielny - Johan Djourou - Armand Traore

So we're missing our best CB, first choice RB, first and second choice LBs and our 3rd choice DM in front of those guys.

As I said, at full strength, we have one of the best defences in the league imho.

EDIT: In the last 6 games, with a full-strength back 5, we've conceded 3 goals. Same as NC, joint 2nd (to MUFC). Compared to our CL rivals, Tottenham (5) and Chelsea (.6).​

Not arguing that at full strength, your defence is pretty solid. I am arguing more along the lines of that injuries are part and parcel in the game. For me a best defence is one that does not rely on 4 players being fully fit throughout the season.

Not arguing that at full strength, your defence is pretty solid. I am arguing more along the lines of that injuries are part and parcel in the game. For me a best defence is one that does not rely on 4 players being fully fit throughout the season.

It's not about relying on them all being fit, it's about not having literally all but one of your first choice defenders fit, like we had for a lot of the start of the season. Vermaelen was injured, we had to play a right-footed DM at left-back in the NL derby ffs.

Injuries are part and parcel of the game, and Utd have done extremely well to get to this point with so many defensive injuries. I was just arguing that the reason we were leaking so many goals was that at the start of the season we had barely any fit defenders, first choice or not.

Why would Mourinho change his tactic to entertain people, he was a manager to win trophies not entertain. He done that enough in the press and on the touchline anyway.

Injuries are part and parcel of the game though. Man United have not had their first choice back 4 playing together a lot this season yet concede far less goals than you. Personally for me a good defense is one which does not rely on 4 players being fully fit throughout the season

Agree. Strength in depth is a massive importance. Which is why I said buying a player who can cover for Song & one of the centre backs is especially important as it allows Vermaelen to play left back, which he is good at. Arsenal has always been a leaky team away from home mind you, at least in recent memory... that's why the fans were never happy with a one or two goal advantage and knew something woud go wrong later!

A vulnerability in Wenger's style of management is he doesn't use a large squad, and instead has kids filling the gaps - which means injuries make the side extremely vulnerable compared to some of the other large teams. I can't see that changing, which usually means we need a stronger attack than defence, and losing Fabregas and Nasri with Arshavin being utter **** has meant the team has certainly lacked teeth.

Back