The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
I just hope it wasn't the majority. It is the most pathetic and undeserved thing I've seen in Football for a while.

At least until today with some Chelsea fans booing Ferdinand. I think it is important to stress it's not all the fans, there are still many who have a brain and are rightly embarrassed by what the other supporters are doing.

At least until today with some Chelsea fans booing Ferdinand. I think it is important to stress it's not all the fans, there are still many who have a brain and are rightly embarrassed by what the other supporters are doing.

Unfortunately some people do not realize that and continue to slate the club for the actions of a few fans. Whats worse if that their fans have also done similar things.

Every basket has a few bad eggs, that does not mean the whole basket is rotten. Many Chelsea fans were rightly embarassed by the booing of Ferdinand and the Hillsborough Silence

Cologne confirm that Podolski is leaving to join Arsenal. Fee undisclosed

Lukas Podolski has scored with 29% of his shots in the league this season, higher than the 21% converted by Robin van Persie. Signing.

About time. Though this one wasn't going through and we could be all talk, but seems we've got a chance to rest Cap Vantastic (if he stays). Wenger presumably needs to keep strengthening throughout the summer.

Good to get some business done early. It seems we have learned from last summer.

Great signing, looking forward to seeing a incredible striking partnership with RVP. Then I guess we wont be signing Olivier Giroud after this.

Other transfer rumours and linked players (Based on various sources):

Yann M'Villa
Jan Verthogen
Shinji Kagawa (really weird one)
Younes Belhenda

Most likely leaving:

Squillaci
Chamakh
Diaby???
Nick Ben.
Denilson

Diaby is again injured after that Stoke match. *Sigh* Not helping for his career. :(

Awesome signing. Like most gooners I am very happy to hear this.

@ Lol_101

Yes I hope all those players are leaving as well as Arshavin for more than a loan. That should provide some nice funds to secure at least 2 more signings. M'Vila looks great but the only thing is a potentially clogged midfield (of course with our recent injury luck, maybe not) but M'Vila and Song in the same midfield means Arteta, Rosicky, Wilshere and Ramsay all fighting over an AMC/CM spot? Definitely these options are a good thing as long as Wenger can manage playing time and tactics.

Apparently Kagawa will only cost around £5 million? If that is all Dortmund are asking for then I'd be disappointed if we didn't at least make a go for him, wouldn't hurt to have another playmaker in the team with Rosicky into his 30s now. As for some of the other rumors, unfortunately Vertonghen would rely on us getting rid of Djourou + Squillaci and him being happy at 4th choice. Belhanda is thought to be PSG-bound but Giroud is a chance if, again, we get rid of Chamakh and Park. It looks like we'll add one of M'Vila or Javi Martinez but with both Manchester clubs said to be keen on Martinez, M'Vila is the more likely option.

Ideally I'd love to see us add Vertonghen, M'Vila, Kagawa and Giroud but at most we'll only get two of them. We'll probably have to bring in a new keeper as well with Fabianski likely to be let go/not extend his contract and Almunia is off anyway.

Apparently Kagawa will only cost around £5 million? If that is all Dortmund are asking for then I'd be disappointed if we didn't at least make a go for him, wouldn't hurt to have another playmaker in the team with Rosicky into his 30s now. As for some of the other rumors, unfortunately Vertonghen would rely on us getting rid of Djourou + Squillaci and him being happy at 4th choice. Belhanda is thought to be PSG-bound but Giroud is a chance if, again, we get rid of Chamakh and Park. It looks like we'll add one of M'Vila or Javi Martinez but with both Manchester clubs said to be keen on Martinez, M'Vila is the more likely option.

Ideally I'd love to see us add Vertonghen, M'Vila, Kagawa and Giroud but at most we'll only get two of them. We'll probably have to bring in a new keeper as well with Fabianski likely to be let go/not extend his contract and Almunia is off anyway.

To be honest, it could be all talk. Okay, the Podolski talks happened to be true and the Gervinho 'saga' stretched last season. But we've been talking about M'Vila since even last season and I can't see us getting him. He's probably the brightest prospect in his position at the moment and no doubt moneybags City or Chelsea will make a last ditch bid 'just to get him'.

I'm not saying we won't get him nor do I doubt we'll bid for him; I just really can't see any of those four joining us this summer. Here's to hoping, though :)

You could see towards the end of the match he was in pain. I really think it is time we tried and let him go. He's certainly not helping us by getting injured every game he comes back into.

Hasn't he been injured for about three years? Time to let him go for sure. As for signing other players, I'm inclined to agree with Mike - our one chance is if we can offer someone a first team spot and CL football, and even then City or Chelsea may swoop "just to have them" bench sitting. Unsure how FFP impacts all this, presumably it does **** all if City can just sign ridiculous sponsorship deals with "associated" companies.

I'd like to think money isn't the decider for each player. For instance, M'Vila has previously spoken of how he'd love to join Arsenal and that Wenger is a manager he'd want to work with.

I assume that we really dont need Giroud after signing Podolski. It had to be one of them. Jan Vethorgen rumors, imo, strange, since we might have an overload of CB to chose from. Even we sell Squifs, and even DJ altogether.

Then what about your promising yougsters. Surely we can't ingnore the upcoming youngsters even if we really need world class player to imporve as a whole.

We can only hope though.

A few youngters I'm hoping they'll make the big step next season include Joel Campbell (if his WP gets accepted), Afobe, Migel, Bartley and maybe Serge Gnabry, who has been amazing in the reserves this season. Campell has been grabbing some goals at Lorient, who are in the relegation battle.

Last edited:
Actually. I like the idea of Vertonghen playing DMC and Song pushing up as a more creative mid. He makes runs, he has an eye for a great pass... Plus, he's a strong player. We've had huge issues with playing weak players who get killed in the middle, so this toughens us up, plus lets us drop Arteta a bit. He's 30/31 now, so playing every game won't work alongside rotating Rosicky.

Defence would be solidish then, still think we need trickery on the wings with Gervinho far from the final product. He never gets his head up, consistently picks the wrong option. We would have actually benefited from Miyaichi.

I agree, we migth need a playmaker next season and Rosicky is getting old. Even Jack wilshere and Ramsey aren't enough even if they are great talents. Some metions can be Kagawa or Marvin Martin. FC Sochaux are in a though relegation battle, and if they relegate, then Marvin should be availabe for cheap; real cheaper than the regular asking price.

Last edited:
Actually. I like the idea of Vertonghen playing DMC and Song pushing up as a more creative mid. He makes runs, he has an eye for a great pass... Plus, he's a strong player. We've had huge issues with playing weak players who get killed in the middle, so this toughens us up, plus lets us drop Arteta a bit. He's 30/31 now, so playing every game won't work alongside rotating Rosicky.

Defence would be solidish then, still think we need trickery on the wings with Gervinho far from the final product. He never gets his head up, consistently picks the wrong option. We would have actually benefited from Miyaichi.

Vertonghenn plays far better in the CB role. DM and LB are the atlernate ones. Said that it would be much logical to get Yann or Javi Martinez for the DM role.

Last edited:
Heard rumors the other day that Jack won't be ready for the start of next season. If so I really am worried about his injury even more than I already am. As for our youth coming up, i'd like to see Miyaichi and Kyle Bartley given a chance. As for Campbell and Gnabry, give them another loan spell possibly to Premier League sides or in Gnabry's case a Championship squad.

As for as our signings go, Podolski done and dusted of course but I would like us to sign M'vila. Not to sure about Vertonghen because of our depth at CB given that DJ just signed a new contract a couple months back. On the wings I wouldn't mind us bringing back Benayoun on loan again.

Benayoun's contract expires after this season I guess, and no no real point bringing him back again. he's helpful, but time to move on. Next season we should see more of Ox and Ryo in the first-team matches, mainly Ryo. And with Reading Promoted to the EPL, would mind of Afobe plays for them next season for first team experience.

Last edited:
Arsenal have real potential for next season if they bring in the right players, you had a good season this season imo. The core is already there if RVP carries on and certain players keep fit.

Back