The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Surely there's a difference between 'spending like City and Chelsea' and spending a decent amount of money?
Of course there is, I'm not against us spending large on players if they are who we really need (for example M'Vila and Giroud this summer). At the moment to fund spending that type of money we have to sell other players first. Ideally we wouldn't need to sell players in order to bring others in but I also don't want us to be throwing around silly money which seems to be what Usmanov would want.

I don't think we'll spend 'silly money' - but we can compete for big names. How many years have we been tracking Hazard? And now he's gone to Chelsea. We couldn't compete for Pastore, Pato, Yaya Toure, Hazard, Falcao, and many other big names. I agree, I don't want us to spend 50mil on a player, like Torres, but, I do want us to spend! .

If Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City, and Man Utd have a transfer record of 30mil minimum (Liverpool: 35mil Carroll, Chelsea: 50mil Torres, Man City: 38.5mil Aguero, Man Utd: 30mil Berbatov), why can't we?
Of course, Carroll and Torres flopped, and Berbatov hasn't really had enough game time to justify his price tag.

Also, I doubt it's Wenger who is reluctant to spend the money. Although he doesn't exactly indulge himself during the transfer window, do you think, if he had his way, Nasri AND Fabregas would be allowed to leave? Fabregas yes, since he had wanted to go to Barcelona for so long. But Nasri, a player who Wenger said he would under no circumstances sell, could have been kept - if our chairman was a tiny bit passionate about the club. Again, you could say Nasri was unhappy, and wanted to leave, but Spurs kept Modric, didn't they?

That's why I want Usmanov to be on the board. David Dein is on the board of R&W (Usmanov's company - I think Dein left, apparently to improve relationships between R&W and Arsenal) - and, after Dein left, so did Henry (who said he became disillusioned after Dein's departure.) Dein was also responsible for the signing of a certain Dennis Bergkamp, and we all know what he did for the club! Read his Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Dein
You could tell he loved the club!

Last edited:
AST has calculated we have 50m to spend this summer. We are not going to spend that much everyone knows, but we have more money available than any other Prem club which is generated by club and not sugardaddy. United would have more, but their cash reserves were depleted last summer so thats why we have more.

Only thing I'd like from our owners to do is clear the debts and work out better sponsorships ( Which according to some reports are being negotiated which will raise our shirt and kit sponsorship by 26m. )

United cash reserves will rise now with TV/competition money in. But we are 25 million down on last year IIRC.

I don't think we'll spend 'silly money' - but we can compete for big names. How many years have we been tracking Hazard? And now he's gone to Chelsea. We couldn't compete for Pastore, Pato, Yaya Toure, Hazard, Falcao, and many other big names. I agree, I don't want us to spend 50mil on a player, like Torres, but, I do want us to spend! .

If Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City, and Man Utd have a transfer record of 30mil minimum (Liverpool: 35mil Carroll, Chelsea: 50mil Torres, Man City: 38.5mil Aguero, Man Utd: 30mil Berbatov), why can't we?
Of course, Carroll and Torres flopped, and Berbatov hasn't really had enough game time to justify his price tag.

Also, I doubt it's Wenger who is reluctant to spend the money. Although he doesn't exactly indulge himself during the transfer window, do you think, if he had his way, Nasri AND Fabregas would be allowed to leave? Fabregas yes, since he had wanted to go to Barcelona for so long. But Nasri, a player who Wenger said he would under no circumstances sell, could have been kept - if our chairman was a tiny bit passionate about the club. Again, you could say Nasri was unhappy, and wanted to leave, but Spurs kept Modric, didn't they?

That's why I want Usmanov to be on the board. David Dein is on the board of R&W (Usmanov's company - I think Dein left, apparently to improve relationships between R&W and Arsenal) - and, after Dein left, so did Henry (who said he became disillusioned after Dein's departure.) Dein was also responsible for the signing of a certain Dennis Bergkamp, and we all know what he did for the club! Read his Wiki page: David Dein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You could tell he loved the club!

We dont need to spend 35m on player to get good player. I still agree we need to spend and perfect players for me would be Eriksen ( 20-25m most likely ) Giroud ( 12.8m ) and M'vila ( around 20m ). With these we could challenge again for Prem.

I want Usmanov more than Kroenke just because he cares for football and for him it's not just 2nd or 3rd rate sport which way most americans tend to think about it or way to make easy money. Best scenario for me would be Usmanov and Dein in and Usmanov to clear debts. Then let Dein and Wenger work again freely.

United cash reserves will rise now with TV/competition money in. But we are 25 million down on last year IIRC.

Yes I know, but ours are somewhere around 150-160m which is higher.

My biggest wish with Stan is just that he'd say something every so often! You hear a lot more of other owners and they talk more to the media than good old Stan. I also agree on the Dein point - the club lost a real star when he left.

Is the Ox playing as a Winger or AMC ? sorry, i just woke up, and welbeck scored :P

My biggest wish with Stan is just that he'd say something every so often! You hear a lot more of other owners and they talk more to the media than good old Stan. I also agree on the Dein point - the club lost a real star when he left.

We can only look at what happens in the next AST meeting. Stan is very silent.

Left winger. Had 2 pretty good chances. 1st one he slipped bit and second one over the bar.
1st one he should have at least hit the target but he slipped so unlucky, maybe should have taken a touch. 2nd one was ambitious, good effort

1st one he should have at least hit the target but he slipped so unlucky, maybe should have taken a touch. 2nd one was ambitious, good effort

Wouldn't expect anything less from the Ox.

RVP already scored 2 and assisted 1 against N. Ireland. Link up play with Afellay is awesome. I'm warming up more and more for Afellay.

RVP already scored 2 and assisted 1 against N. Ireland. Link up play with Afellay is awesome. I'm warming up more and more for Afellay.

Well, both players are related, aren't they XD

Well, both players are related, aren't they XD

RVP and Afellay? Never heard that before :D

**** that duo works well. Again assist for RVP and goal for Afellay. Sign him Wenger

Last edited:
Kos and Giroud are rooming together at Euros. Hopefully Kos just sits in the room all day saying 'You know what I love about Arsenal...' ^^)

Kos and Giroud are rooming together at Euros. Hopefully Kos just sits in the room all day saying 'You know what I love about Arsenal...' ^^)

They are mates from their time at Tours. Kos probably already has contract ready for Giroud to sign. Only waiting confirmation from Exec's that Montpellier has accepted our offer. :D

They are mates from their time at Tours. Kos probably already has contract ready for Giroud to sign. Only waiting confirmation from Exec's that Montpellier has accepted our offer. :D

That just makes me think of Koscielny trying to sneakily replace cheques and birthday cards with an Arsenal contract, and hoping that Giroud doesn't notice.

Hopefully we can get Giroud and Affelay. Together they shouldn't be more than £20m.

Hopefully we can get Giroud and Affelay. Together they shouldn't be more than £20m.

Even less cos Barca seem to be keen on offloading him. Read that fee should be 6m which is bargain for him.

Add a new goalkeeper and defensive mid and we are sorted.

Back