The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
I get your point, but it's not even close to saying take out RVP's goals because he has still had a couple of very good seasons.

And I'll admit I only mentioned Ayew because I'm a fan of his. He wouldn't really suit us at all as say we did get him Podolski would likely move into the hole behind RVP which while it would help in attack our midfield would constantly get outnumbered.

But Martin's only really come to the fore last season, because he was a late developer and had been knocking around in rubbish teams beforehand. It's no more harsh to discount all Van Persie's goals than it is to discount his assists.

Podolski would be a shocking hole player, I'd imagine. From what I hear, Ayew can play in the centre, but with those stats I quoted you earlier I'd be unwilling to trust him in such a pivotal role, particularly when it's not his favoured position.

Marvin Martin is apparently headed to Lille as a replacement for Eden Hazard. Reports suggest a fee of around 10m has been agreed.

Now that Kagawa went to United why not try for another Japanese midfielder in Keisuke Honda? He is a bit older yes but he has been great for CSKA Moscow and I think he was available in January for around 8m. I say this because I don't see Eriksen leaving Ajax and Afellay is probably better used on the wings.

Great, two Arsenal targets go to two of our rivals.
The transfer window as an Arsenal fan is frustrating.

Wenger will not buy M'Villa at the prices being quoted, he's world renowed to be a tight **** and will not spend more than £20m on one player..

Hence the recent player's we have been linked to.. Steven N'Zonzi, Lucas Biglia, Etienne Capoue.. I'd like to see us try and sign Felipe Melo, we tried to sign him before we went to Juventus.

Or even give Francis Coquelin more of a chance, he looks like a top player, works hard, can tackle well and has good technique for a defensive mid

Wenger will not buy M'Villa at the prices being quoted, he's world renowed to be a tight **** and will not spend more than £20m on one player..

Not true. We have offered 20m+ for players in past. It's just that deals didnt materialize or the player moved elsewhere. Good example Mata last summer. We had deal in place and were just waiting to see what happened with Cesc. We didn't have money available for Mata until Cesc was sold so while we were negotiating with Barca Chelsea swooped in and got him quickly.

Or even give Francis Coquelin more of a chance, he looks like a top player, works hard, can tackle well and has good technique for a defensive mid

He will play in plenty of matches even if we sign new DM. I think most would prefer him to start over Jenkinson as RB until Sagna is fit.

Not true. We have offered 20m+ for players in past. It's just that deals didnt materialize or the player moved elsewhere. Good example Mata last summer. We had deal in place and were just waiting to see what happened with Cesc. We didn't have money available for Mata until Cesc was sold so while we were negotiating with Barca Chelsea swooped in and got him quickly.

He will play in plenty of matches even if we sign new DM. I think most would prefer him to start over Jenkinson as RB until Sagna is fit.

Think your facts are wrong on Mata. He had a release clause below 20m which Wenger refused to pay. When the release clause expired, Wenger pulled out of the race for Mata due to a breakdown in communication between him and the board. It was then that Chelsea went in and sealed the deal inside 4 days

Think your facts are wrong on Mata. He had a release clause below 20m which Wenger refused to pay. When the release clause expired, Wenger pulled out of the race for Mata due to a breakdown in communication between him and the board. It was then that Chelsea went in and sealed the deal inside 4 days

I believe i read somewhere Mata had a buy out clause of around 16ish million when Arsenal wanted him but it expired for what ever reason.

I believe i read somewhere Mata had a buy out clause of around 16ish million when Arsenal wanted him but it expired for what ever reason.

Juan Mata transfer to Arsenal 'on the verge of collapse' | Metro.co.uk

Thought i was correct.

Yes and Arsenal hindered badly on the deal... If they have been more decisive then Mata could very well be in an Arsenal shirt now. Chelsea were very quick out of the blocks and sealed the deal inside a few days.

Not true. Wenger never refused to pay. Board refused to sanction funds as neither fabregas or nasri had been sold. That delay allowed Chelsea to swoop in.

The clause expired, but Valencia were willing to do a deal at around that price, at £18m

Not true. Wenger never refused to pay. Board refused to sanction funds as neither fabregas or nasri had been sold. That delay allowed Chelsea to swoop in.

The clause expired, but Valencia were willing to do a deal at around that price, at £18m

But 18 million for a club doing so well financially should be a breeze.

Yes I mentioned that there was a breakdown in communication between Wenger and the board but seemingly contradicted myself in the next post.. damm. I remember that Unai Emery assured Juan Mata that any deal worth 20m would be accepted after Mata approached him when his clause expired

We would have probably seen the best of Juan Mata had he moved to Arsenal considering the type of game they play.

Good as he has been this season, he would have been even better for Arsenal.

No doubt about that at all.. Although It looks like Chelsea are progressing towards the type of game that Mata flourishes in next season so I am genuinely interested in seeing if he can take his performances to another level next season.

This season he has been totally overshadowed by Silva despite there being no great disparity in their performances in my opinion

I don't think so, i think because he was such a different player to what Chelsea had then that is one of the reasons he stuck out. He made 26 goals for Chelsea this season so i don't see how he could have done better anywhere else.

I don't think so, i think because he was such a different player to what Chelsea had then that is one of the reasons he stuck out. He made 26 goals for Chelsea this season so i don't see how he could have done better anywhere else.

Mata excelled inspite of Chelsea's play not because of it.

Mata would been on the ball far more, with much better supply from Song and Arteta, and superior forward who compliments him in RVP

Not true. We have offered 20m+ for players in past.

Personally I can't think of one player we've offered more than £20m for..

I don't rate Jenkinson too highly, he looks very clumsy and offers very little going forward.. As for Coquelin at RB, again I don't think that will work, he didn't have the greatest of time whilst filling in there, his best position is in the middle.. I do think we need another right back because Sagna broke his leg TWICE last season, and looks like he's going to be out for much longer than the first time, how unlucky can you get? And right now we don't have adequate cover

Back