The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Giroud - 12.8m or Chamakh and cash
Afellay - 6m
M'vila - 20m

Transfer business done. Not even 40m spent on 3 quality players.

Giroud - 12.8m or Chamakh and cash
Afellay - 6m
M'vila - 20m

Transfer business done. Not even 40m spent on 3 quality players.

You forget new GK. Fabianski probably off in january when he has recovered from injury. Probably good to get GK in now so we can give loan time for Martinez who looks quite good prospect and after that year could be 3rd choice.

Who would you suggest? I'm not sure at all who is available who would want to be a back up?

Who would you suggest? I'm not sure at all who is available who would want to be a back up?

So many people saying Butland's good so I'd personally go with him. IF not him then some older experienced one. Who? I dunno.

The problem with Butland is, he is young he won't want to be a back up really.

Wouldn't be surprised if we went for Craig Gordon. Plenty of experience in the EPL, at a good age for a keeper, avaliable on a free and probably wouldn't demand super high wages. No point going for a young keeper when we have our own in Szczesny with Martinez and Charles-Cook possible keepers to look out for.

Don't think Gordon will want to play 2nd choice any longer considering his age.

So many people saying Butland's good so I'd personally go with him. IF not him then some older experienced one. Who? I dunno.

Butland is 19, while Damian is 18 i think and Wojo is just around 20 or 21. Makes no sense having gk's with the age difference so close in the group. I would go for someone experienced, why not have a go on Craig Gordon.

1st and 2nd choice is a battle between Wojo and the new keeper. 3rd is Damian Martinez.

Last edited:
Butland is 19, while Damian is 18 i think and Wojo is just around 20 or 21. Makes no sense having gk's with the age difference so close in the group. I would go for someone experienced, why not have a go on Craig Gordon.

1st and 2nd choice is a battle between Wojo and the new keeper. 3rd is Damian Martinez.

Compared to our last few keepers Szczesny is great but if you compare him to the rest of the EPL keepers then he's below average if you ask me.
You're right that we need competition for Szcesny.

I think szczesny is at the same level as de gea, Vorm and Krul and almost as good as Hart and Cech, plus hes got age on his side. I also think Almunia is a great back up.

I think szczesny is at the same level as de gea, Vorm and Krul and almost as good as Hart and Cech, plus hes got age on his side. I also think Almunia is a great back up.

Almunia is already released on free. Just looking at stats Szczesny wasn't among the 10 best goalkeepers this season. He has potential, but needs a serious challenge to make him emerge. Joe Hart wouldn't be as good if he didn't have Shay Given breathing down his neck back then in City. He knew that if he dropped form he'd be dropped. Szczesny needs to do the same.

Almunia is already released on free. Just looking at stats Szczesny wasn't among the 10 best goalkeepers this season. He has potential, but needs a serious challenge to make him emerge. Joe Hart wouldn't be as good if he didn't have Shay Given breathing down his neck back then in City. He knew that if he dropped form he'd be dropped. Szczesny needs to do the same.

Szczesny had a good season, personally, maybe a bias view but I would rank him amongst the top 5 keepers in the league.. Comparing him with the likes of Vorm or Krul is different, because these keepers have a lot more shots to save.. Szczesny's first half of the season he was great, apart from the Man utd game where in all fairness it wasn't his thought that we let in 8.. He had a solid first half of the season, he's form dropped during the second half of the season, made quite a few mistakes but overall a good season.
His highlight of the season was the game against Liverpool where he kept us in it during the first half and made an amazing double save from Kuyt's penalty, which pushed us on to secure a CL spot, if we lost that game I think we would have struggled to finish top 6.. plus the penalty save vs Udinese in the qualifier which pretty much secured our place in the CL.

Best keeper we have had since Lehmann and he's only 22, so with more experience will only get better.. Plus he seems to be one of those players that are great to have in the dressing room.

Szczesny had a good season, personally, maybe a bias view but I would rank him amongst the top 5 keepers in the league.. Comparing him with the likes of Vorm or Krul is different, because these keepers have a lot more shots to save.. Szczesny's first half of the season he was great, apart from the Man utd game where in all fairness it wasn't his thought that we let in 8.. He had a solid first half of the season, he's form dropped during the second half of the season, made quite a few mistakes but overall a good season.
His highlight of the season was the game against Liverpool where he kept us in it during the first half and made an amazing double save from Kuyt's penalty, which pushed us on to secure a CL spot, if we lost that game I think we would have struggled to finish top 6.. plus the penalty save vs Udinese in the qualifier which pretty much secured our place in the CL.

Best keeper we have had since Lehmann and he's only 22, so with more experience will only get better.. Plus he seems to be one of those players that are great to have in the dressing room.

Overall I think he was quite decent considering it was only his second season at top level. Personally I though also that he did quite good except in few games like against Norwich, but then I looked at stats and his saves/shots ratio was pretty poor overall. Vorm and Hennessey had good amount of incoming shots, but also their percentages of shots saves were much higher than Szczesny. Szczesny has won us couple games last season, but he has also lost them by letting in easy goals and he just needs to be more consistent.

Competition for that number one spot is much needed to make Szczesny better.

If we are in need of an AMC, then I suggest we go after Marvin. Kagawa is now a Red Devil.

Last edited:
I'll admit I didn't watch any Sochaux games last season so don't know how he played but I don't get the attraction with Martin. Take out his 17 assists from last season and his record isn't spectacular. Add to that he is 24 so it's not like he is a wonderkid who is going to get miles better. If we are going to get a playmaker I'd prefer maybe Eriksen, he is supposed to be a big talent. Or, although he isn't a CAM, we could go for Andre Ayew :wub: who has a release clause of only €18 million.

I'll admit I didn't watch any Sochaux games last season so don't know how he played but I don't get the attraction with Martin. Take out his 17 assists from last season and his record isn't spectacular. Add to that he is 24 so it's not like he is a wonderkid who is going to get miles better. If we are going to get a playmaker I'd prefer maybe Eriksen, he is supposed to be a big talent. Or we could go for Andre Ayew :wub: who has a release clause of only €18 million.

That's like saying "take out all of Van Persie's goals this year and he hasn't been that good". 25 assists in two seasons is good for anyone, and especially when Martin plays in a not particularly good team, barring the excellent Boudebouz.

The fact that he's 24 only serves to make his transfer fee even smaller. Ayew's release clause is only rumoured, and besides, he hasn't been that amazing this year. As a goalscorer he's been decent, but he's far far too selfish: he's taken 70 shots for his 8 goals, got no assists and only 21 key passes. Compare that to Martin's 2 goals, 8 assists and 68 key passes and things begin to look a bit less impressive for Ayew.

As for Eriksen... he's very raw. He has the skillset necessary to succeed, but he'd need to become substantially stronger to compete in the Prem, and also cut out the inconsistency and concentration lapses that have plagued him. He cannot be relied on to perform week in, week out, so it's debateable whether he's right for Arsenal at this moment in time.

Sochaux has a bad run in the League, a couple of times close to the relegation spot. Likely cause to a dip in his performance and stats

But yeah, Eriksen remains first choice. 10-15m ?

Last edited:
But yeah, Eriksen remain first choice. 10-15m ?

Optimistic. This is one of the top talents in Europe, remember, on a contract with the league champions. I'd be surprised if he went for under £20 mil.

That's like saying "take out all of Van Persie's goals this year and he hasn't been that good". 25 assists in two seasons is good for anyone, and especially when Martin plays in a not particularly good team, barring the excellent Boudebouz.
I get your point, but it's not even close to saying take out RVP's goals because he has still had a couple of very good seasons.

And I'll admit I only mentioned Ayew because I'm a fan of his. He wouldn't really suit us at all as say we did get him Podolski would likely move into the hole behind RVP which while it would help in attack our midfield would constantly get outnumbered.

Back