The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Considering his history I wouldn't expect him to suddenly start demanding a lot from Arsenal. He hasn't produced that much here compared to some players we've had.

Without his goals last season i saw something saying you would have finished 16th. He has done so much for your club without a doubt, yes maybe not as much as some but he has done a lot

I just can't agree, he wanted Arsenal to show him how much they wanted him and its quite obvious they won't break the bank for him. He is thinking of his next venture not his past.
He should know we were never going to break the bank for one player. We just don't have the money to and I don't think this is just about money because I've never seen him as the type that money is most important.

Without his goals last season i saw something saying you would have finished 16th. He has done so much for your club without a doubt, yes maybe not as much as some but he has done a lot
Well that is rubbish, finished lower yes but not quite that low. And yes, he has done a fair bit for the club and we have done a **** of a lot for him too but what he has gone and done is just an amazing lack of respect. Fair enough if he didn't want to stay but to force a move by doing an announcement behind the clubs back is just disappointing.

Ugh, I hate those snippets of data. Prime example of stats used incorrectly. That's assuming NOBODY ELSE would've filled the gap and Arsenal would essentially be playing with 10 men in each game.

I just can't agree, he wanted Arsenal to show him how much they wanted him and its quite obvious they won't break the bank for him. He is thinking of his next venture not his past.

Would you be like this if it was a Chelsea player? I think not. The Arsenal fans have every right to be annoyed, the fans and the club have stuck by him through thick and thin and this is how he repays them.

While he did score couple World Class goals most of them were so easy that even Chamakh, Park or Bendtner would've scored if they had actually played.

We create A LOT of chances which is main reason why he scored 30+ goals. Agree we finished 3rd thanks to him, but not only because of him. Koscielny was important in defence as was Arteta in midfield. Also Walcott contributed occasionally.

He has been with Arsenal for 8 years and now has only produced consistently since start of 2011. So wouldn't say he has "done a lot"

At the end of the day Arsenal will cope without RVP, there has been arguably bigger players they have had to cope without before and they have reacted even stronger next season, I do think they need to make some improvements before the new season, but losing RVP is not the end of the world, Arsenal have a great manager in Wenger and I am sure he will deliver yet again.

At the end of the day Arsenal will cope without RVP, there has been arguably bigger players they have had to cope without before and they have reacted even stronger next season, I do think they need to make some improvements before the new season, but losing RVP is not the end of the world, Arsenal have a great manager in Wenger and I am sure he will deliver yet again.

Exactly this, Henry left us in 2007 and we were in a position where we should've won the league the next season. And you can most certainly say that Henry is the bigger loss.

Would you be like this if it was a Chelsea player? I think not. The Arsenal fans have every right to be annoyed, the fans and the club have stuck by him through thick and thin and this is how he repays them.

If a Chelsea player announces he wants to leave then my view is and always has been quite simply "cya". Whether they announce it via twitter, sky sports news, club website or message in a bottle if they want to leave then i don't care how they announce it.

Think some people forget how much Arsenal have done for RvP when he was constantly injured, he has one prolific season and he is of thinking he's a big shot, Arsenal fans have many reasons to be angry, disloyalty of the highest level from our captain.

If a Chelsea player announces he wants to leave then my view is and always has been quite simply "cya". Whether they announce it via twitter, sky sports news, club website or message in a bottle if they want to leave then i don't care how they announce it.

Well you dont live by the money you get from player sales as Arsenal do. For Arsenal it's important to get their valuation from players we sell.

But you have to admit you would be annoyed if tomorrow Mata and Torres came out and said they want to leave because they are homesick.

But you have to admit you would be annoyed if tomorrow Mata and Torres came out and said they want to leave because they are homesick.

Difference is i would move on from them quickly and not begrudge them of a move. If they are not 100% commited then your better off out the door.

There is a considerable difference between just saying you want to leave and questioning the ambition of the club you currently captain.

Last edited:
As usual with this sort of thing people overestimate the importance of a press release. This isn't FM, value of player doesnt' go up and down on a whim. Saying he wont renew has very little impact on his transfer value. I guarantee you that anyone interested in buying RVP already had a very good idea of his current contract situation and would monitor it closely throughout the season.

Now if he suddenly went apeshit and started rambling about club being too small, Arsene not wanting to let him go, or whatever, that might have an impact. As it is , he handled it as professionally as its possible.

I think any club with a mild interest in a striker would know he was going into his final year of his contract. But we had a benefit that there was a chance he was going to sign a new contract so if a club wanted him they were going to have to put up a big offer but now that he has told everyone he is leaving next season clubs aren't going to put up as bigger offers because they know we can't command to higher fee or we won't get anything at all. And I would be shocked if he remains an Arsenal player next season, his statement will have done a fair bit of damage to his reputation both inside the club and with the fans.

The 8 mill bid by Juve is suddenly starting to make a bit more sense.

But we had a benefit that there was a chance he was going to sign a new contract so if a club wanted him they were going to have to put up a big offer but now that he has told everyone he is leaving next season clubs aren't going to put up as bigger offers because they know we can't command to higher fee or we won't get anything at all.

Again, for some strange reason you are assuming that other big clubs are run by brainless sheep who would want nothing more but to throw their entire transfer budget on Arsenal. Managers do their research before spending milions lightheartedly. If player isn't renewing contract half a year before he can be approached for free, there's a very good chance club couldnt match his demands or he simply wants to leave. Its not rocket science.

Again, for some strange reason you are assuming that other big clubs are run by brainless sheep who would want nothing more but to throw their entire transfer budget on Arsenal. Managers do their research before spending milions lightheartedly. If player isn't renewing contract half a year before he can be approached for free, there's a very good chance club couldnt match his demands or he simply wants to leave. Its not rocket science.
Where/how did I asume that? And I'm well aware that players can be approached by overseas clubs six months before their contract ends.

But you can't tell me that the fact he has now made public his desire to not see out his contract isn't going to affect any offers we were going to recieve for him. At least we previously had a chance of possibly getting something around the 20 million mark but now clubs know we have no choice but to either lose him for nothing next season or sell him this season so the offers aren't going to be as big, especially from overseas clubs who only have a few months after the window closes to wait before they can start discussing a move for him. And given how he worded his statement and the damage it will have done, he is going to be sold this window.

Walcott will be next, pretty sure Juve knew what was happening which is why they only offered 8m for him. It is a shame but really saw him leaving coming anyways. Lost a bit of respect for him today. As for the people saying it's just like Nasri Clichy and Fabregas leaving you are wrong. It's like Nasri and Clichy leaving, not Fabregas. Fabregas was always going to choose Barcelona over Arsenal and I have no problem with that because he was from there.

Back