The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Why should he have to inform the club behind doors? He is looking at his future not Arsenal's now and in this day and age nothing stays behind closed doors. And if you sell him this summer i still believe you will get 20mill for him.

Sorta agree with some of this. Usually informing the club is just protocol though. In my mind he did this for one of two reasons, possibly both:

1. Giving Wenger one last chance to strenghten in the summer, or forcing his hand. Obviously when they sat down just after the end of the season and RVP said "Look you need to bring in top players for me to stay!" he didn't mean two strikers who both can play in his position. This doesn't work with Wenger though.

2. Allowing clubs who may be buying strikers this year to look at his availability next summer and perhaps postpone filling that spot quite so quickly. Perhaps Villa at Barcelona may be an option here considering he's getting older and losing pace, and still hasn't recovered from his broken leg. Maybe he sees more options opening up this way at clubs where he's likely to win something/giving Cesc a year to sort out a move.

Overall though, the only reason I see him announcing this the way he did, is if he feels very dissapointed with the lack of strenghtening the squad/lack of promises to go even further, and he's as frustrated as any other fan and wants to win something before he hangs up his boots. I don't think the problem is lack of money, perhaps it's perceived lack of respect shown to him with the club thinking 'Well, where is he going?' and either giving him a poor contract offer or (more likely) just not buiding in the right direction. Very much doubt it's about the size of the contract.

Last edited:
Most people are forgetting what's stopping Van Persie from having another injury plagued season? If we can get £20m+ which is unlikely just take it and let RVP go. If he goes abroad then best wishes but if he goes to another Premier League club then he becomes a 'Nasri'.

What's more important than RVP I think is strengthening the rest of the squad by freeing up space taken by deadwood.

Doubt we'll get much more than £15-£17m for him, like Thierry Henry and Patrick Vieira. It's either some money or nothing at the end of next season, and I know which I'd prefer.

Most people are forgetting what's stopping Van Persie from having another injury plagued season? If we can get £20m+ which is unlikely just take it and let RVP go. If he goes abroad then best wishes but if he goes to another Premier League club then he becomes a 'Nasri'.

What's more important than RVP I think is strengthening the rest of the squad by freeing up space taken by deadwood.

RVP is integral to the strength of the squad. If he goes you will again have to spend the bulk of your transfer budget replacing quality rather than adding to it... Not to mention the knock on effect RVP's departure could have on the rest of the squad. Players like Walcott in the last year of their contract as well and may choose not to renew

I'm not especially concerned, we've replaced Henry and Fabs perfectly fine, just the announcement was done in a pretty poor way. It's just a shame that a guy who has been here for most of his career has decided enough is enough, but every fan thinks the same way with regards to the best way to develop the club. Also Walcott ('s agent) isn't an idiot, if he has RVP around to help his assist count fr a season, he could command a decent signing fee at the end of next year as it'd be the best time for him to leave.

But you can't tell me that the fact he has now made public his desire to not see out his contract isn't going to affect any offers we were going to recieve for him.

Its wont. Whatever he annoucned was allready well known amongst all interested parties and there's a very good chance they already were in communication with his agent about the whole thing. Its just a press release, nothing more.

Most people are forgetting what's stopping Van Persie from having another injury plagued season?

This here is exactly the reason why he wont be very expensive. Anyone who expected sky high price tag on 29-year old player with career long history of injuries and last year of contract, was just delusional.

Judging that Wilshere seems to be getting treated with the delicacy of a sledgehammer, it's a miracle he lasted as long as he did this year, and his chances of doing it again will increase exponentially if he moves.

If they give us 8-10 million,plus Adam Johnson & De Jong,they can have RVP and instructions on how to hire scouts.

Can we seriously have him running our club? Atleast someone is having the decency to challenge Kroenke and Gazidis.

I'd love to have our old system back where we have no majority owner. Kroenke and Gazidis arent the problem. Main problem is Chairman Peter Hill-Wood and he should be replaced as soon as possible along with his lackeys on Board.

If they give us 8-10 million,plus Adam Johnson & De Jong,they can have RVP and instructions on how to hire scouts.

10m + Dzeko & DeJong and we have deal I'd say. Cant see where we need Johnson unless also Walcott is sold.

Wenger’s history of transfer denials – From RvP to Henry and Cole to Nasri

After an outstanding season with Arsenal, Robin van Persie confirmed that he would not be extending his contract with the club. His current deal expires next summer which obviously puts pressure on Arsenal to sell him now.

Just the day before, Arsene Wenger claimed that Arsenal “depended” on the Dutchman and that he hoped he would see his career out in London.

Unfortunately for Arsenal, Wenger has a history of doing this, talking to the press about his certainty of a player’s future, only for them to leave days or weeks later.

Robin van Persie
June 20th 2012
Wenger: “He will stay at Arsenal.”

July 4th 2012
Van Persie: “I’ve thought long and hard about it, but I have decided not to extend my contract.”

Samir Nasri
July 12th 2011
Wenger: “Samir’s situation is clear for me. He stays. We are in a position where we can say ‘no’ and we will.”

August 24th 2011 – Nasri signs Manchester City
Nasri: “Why didn’t I extend at Arsenal last autumn? They made me an offer and my advisers made another one. In this last one there was a clause that Arsenal officials didn’t really accept. When they came back to offer me again in June, I made my decision. In my mind I wanted to leave, above all after the very difficult end to last season and I also already had nice contacts. You play football because you like it, but above all to win trophies. I am still dreaming about a national title, a cup or Champions League just like a kid.”

Cesc Fabregas
July 12th 2011
Wenger: “Imagine the worst situation – we lose Fabregas and Nasri – you cannot convince people you are ambitious after that. You talk about Fabregas leaving, Nasri leaving. If you give that message out, you cannot pretend you are a big club, because a big club first of all holds onto its big players and gives a message out to all the other big clubs that they just cannot come in and take away from you. We worked very hard with these players for years to develop them, and now it’s a time for us to keep them together.”

August 15th 2011 – Fabregas signs for Barcelona
Fabregas: “I was just a servant and spent eight years there when I gave absolutely everything. It didn’t show in the cabinet, I only won one FA Cup really, and this is the biggest regret I will have in my career, probably, not to be able to lift a trophy as Arsenal captain.”

William Gallas
March 11th 2010
Wenger: “I am not concerned. He is under contract until the 30th of June. William is speaking to us and our desire is to keep him here. He wants to stay here.”

August 20th 2010 – Gallas signs for Tottenham Hotspur

Emmanuel Adebayor
May 22nd 2009
Wenger: “My gut feeling is he will be here. At the moment his future is at the club. He has a long contract and we want to keep him at the club.”

July 18th 2009 – Adebayor signs for Manchester City

Mathieu Flamini
March 9th 2008
Wenger: “We are very positive about Flamini. I believe he will stay. He wants to stay, I want him to stay – so we have a good understanding from the start.”

May 5th 2008 – Flamini signs for AC Milan
Asked if winning the title would have made a difference, Flamini said: “That would have weighed in the balance. It would certainly have counted. I actually wanted to sign a new contract at Arsenal last July but it didn’t happen. AC Milan did so much to sign me I couldn’t refuse. What happened to us after leading the league for so long was the most painful experience I had during four years at Arsenal.”

Thierry Henry
April 6th 2007
Wenger: “It’s not an issue because I had a chat with Thierry Henry. He is clear he wants to stay, I am clear I want him to stay. It’s not an issue at all. That is a story that has been created by somebody, not by our club and not by Henry because we are both on the same wavelength.”

June 25th 2007 – Henry signs for Barcelona
Henry: “It means a lot to come here and play with some of the best players in the world. It is incredible and I am looking forward to playing in the Camp Nou and helping the team in every way I can. It is an honour to be here and I am sure I will represent FC Barcelona the best I can. Barca is more than a club. Everybody knows about Barca.”

Jose Antonio Reyes
July 31st 2006
Wenger: “If you’ve come to ask me about the situation surrounding Reyes or Cesc then I can tell you that they are not for sale. I will be counting on them next season.”

August 31st 2006 – Reyes joins Real Madrid on loan before being sold to Atletico Madrid

Ashley Cole
February 25th 2006
Wenger: “I feel he is more committed. His attitude has never been a problem to me this season. He was always highly focused and committed. It is not a problem, frankly. At the end of the season he has two years, so we will start [contract talks] maybe in September or October.”

August 31st 2006 – Cole signs for Chelsea

Wenger’s history of transfer denials – From RvP to Henry and Cole to Nasri |

Last edited:
Wenger’s history of transfer denials – From RvP to Henry and Cole to Nasri

Wenger’s history of transfer denials – From RvP to Henry and Cole to Nasri |

Think that article is harsh on Wenger. It seems like generally the transfers are out of his hands.. Either the chairman goes above his head and sells a player (i.e Nasri, Henry, Adebayor etc.) or the player turns their latest contract offer down because the club refuses to pay the wage they could get elsewhere (Nasri, Gallas, RVP etc.) - I personally don't put these transfers down to Wenger, I mean, what has he ever got out of them?

Back