The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
I don't think he is. I think he's looking at Giroud and Podolski and thinking this isn't going to be enough to win anything, and if that is his motivation at this point then it isn't going to make him stay - like most clubs in the league we can't guarantee trophies. The model of the club is largely fine. Perhaps spending a bit more money would be useful, but the issue is more about signing cover when we need it. I'm not saying lets spend 50m, but a couple of decent backup players for midfield/defence wouldn't cost a fortune, and perhaps being unwilling to spend where necessary has cost a couple of gems who we could have signed but were too slow.

Tbh I dont think he ever had any intention of staying. His statement was all about burning bridges at the club, and trying to make it as hard as possible for the club to hold onto him.

This is nothing like the Rooney situation imo, he said he wanted to see out his contract at Arsenal so him showing up at training means nothing really. The ball is firmly in Arsenals court right now, if we keep him he plays out his last year of his contract here if we sell him then we move on. I seriously see nothing that suggests he will sign a new contract especially seeing us not signing anyone since he admitted he was leaving. I would see it if we atleast added another player to the squad in that time.

Tbh I dont think he ever had any intention of staying. His statement was all about burning bridges at the club, and trying to make it as hard as possible for the club to hold onto him.

Yeah I'd agree with that. Once he said "Look I'm finishing my contract and I don't see the direction being positive for me" then it was saying - I gave you a chance to make positive changes, you didn't, that's fine. I'm off. Buying Giroud was basically saying "Okay, lets replace you, we arn't changing our model for anyone".

Lets hope he has a good year and Giroud gets plenty of game time, or we sell him. I wouldn't expect him to sign without a marquee signing, and right now some semi unknown Frenchman seems about as far as it will go for us before the new season.

Him returning to training isn't a sign of anything, certainly not that he is going to be staying. He is going and the sooner we can sort this all out, the better for the team.

Mbaye Niang to Arsenal? If his potential is anywhere near as good as it is on FM then you guys will have a very good striker in a few years time.

Your prayers have been answered? In the form of an overrated French kid?

If I was an Arsenal fan I'd be praying for a new defence... :/

If I was an Arsenal fan I would hope he has a few more transfers up his sleeve too...

Lets face it, priority number one now is signing m'vila asap and then looking to press on quickly to sign a new defence. The only defender we have that is considered good is vermealen and even he has looked shaky through his arsenal career. Why not a play like sakho from PSG ? we are known to be a very well run club but when you think of all the money made of season tickets and player sales hint hint fabregas, we have plenty of money in order to maybe splash upto 20 million for a player if he is going to help in a major way. word is michel bastos is avalible from lyon for around 6 million ? that in any case is a bargain. Then focus on a back up keeper as every arsenal fan will agree on this when i say if schezeny gets injured who steps in........fabianski and that is always a negative thing so wenger you need to press on and capture m'villa quickly before money grabbing city go in for him !

Podolski won't be going on the Asia tour, he will be working at London Colney next week to ease him into life at the club. [@DaveHytner]

Doubt we really need new defense. Sagna, Koscielny and Vermaelen are one of best in Prem in their positions. Gibbs started to show what he can do in the couple of last matches of season. Mertesacker is good player to have as is Djourou. Only problem what I have with Djourou is his wages off 40k p/w which is too much for 4th choice.

Defensive midfielder is what we need the most.

Lets face it, priority number one now is signing m'vila asap and then looking to press on quickly to sign a new defence. The only defender we have that is considered good is vermealen and even he has looked shaky through his arsenal career. Why not a play like sakho from PSG ? we are known to be a very well run club but when you think of all the money made of season tickets and player sales hint hint fabregas, we have plenty of money in order to maybe splash upto 20 million for a player if he is going to help in a major way. word is michel bastos is avalible from lyon for around 6 million ? that in any case is a bargain. Then focus on a back up keeper as every arsenal fan will agree on this when i say if schezeny gets injured who steps in........fabianski and that is always a negative thing so wenger you need to press on and capture m'villa quickly before money grabbing city go in for him !

Sagna, Gibbs, Vermaelen and Koscielny are all good defenders. The next in line looks to be Djourou, Mertersacker and some of the reserves, it isn't awful and we arn't going to have squad depth like Chelsea or City any time soon. I'm more concerned with Arteta's role, we have nobody who can play it, Wilshere is still injured; and as we saw in the last few games of the season that role is instrumental to the side actually working.

On a positive note, capturing Niang is a big deal. Incredibly talented reserves at the moment, if only we can keep them all.

Your prayers have been answered? In the form of an overrated French kid?

If I was an Arsenal fan I'd be praying for a new defence... :/

It's not the defensive line-up that's the problem. A defence of Sagna-Koscielny-Vermaelen-Gibbs is a very strong one, it's more of a matter of our shape defensively.

Though I don't disagree that we need some defensive back-ups.

Almunia ☑
Denilson ☑ On loan at least...
Vela ☑
Arshavin☐
Squillaci ☐
Bendtner ☐
Chamakh ☐
Park ☐

3 down 5 to go...

Denilson is still at the club even if he's on loan we can't keep sending players out on loan just because we can't sell them. And it's the middle of July we should have most of those gone by now.

Boris Becker claims RvP has signed a 2 year contract with Arsenal, like he would know...

Back