The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Last edited:
Pretty well written, I liked it :) (Perhaps make some of your sentences shorter?)

Although, you don't see Wenger going back to a 4-4-2? With Podolski playing as a second striker/ (almost inside forward position) like Henry used to play? I can see Wenger trying this, Giroud would be perfect for that formation.

Thanks pal, will do next time!

I just consider it to be an outdated formation, though wouldn't it be pretty much a 4-2-3-1 if Podolski dropped deep enough? I guess Wenger will be an expert on the 4-4-2 though since all the success he's had with it, It is a possibilty, though I'd stick with the 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 just for the numerical advantage in midfield. However he plays it though I can see Arsenal being up there if Santi and Sahin arrive, along with maybe another CB.

Thanks for the feedback mate, I appreciate it!

We don't seem to be in for Debuchy that's Newcastle's target isn't it? Although I would very much like him here as i'm not that confident with either Jenks or Yennaris

Gregory Van der Wiel wants to leave Ajax. why dont we got for him.

According to sources RvP now wants to stay at the club.

if he stays, i hope he gets stripped off captaincy. give it to vermalean , and let arteta or sanga be vice-captain.

Last edited:
I agree, Vermaelen should be captain this season. I think he should be vice-captain though. I mean I'm pretty sure he does love the club and do you honestly expect the Santi Cazorla deal to go through if he doesn't come out and say we need to sign better players? Anyways i've been hoping we go for van der Wiel for awhile now I just don't see it happening unfortunately. I believe he will go to Chelsea.

According to sources RvP now wants to stay at the club.

Probably false.. He cant do a U-Turn after the statements he has made. In my opinion it would take a lot more than getting Cazorla to make RVP stay

Gregory Van der Wiel wants to leave Ajax. why dont we got for him.

Unfortunately his career has stagnated after his breakthrough year in 2010. One of the main reasons why no one has gone for him despite Ajax more than willing to sell him at a sub-10m price.

The Market for quality RBs is pretty bad right now with Debuchy and Azpiliceuta being the best availiable ... Debuchy is good although he only has another 4-5 years at the top as he is 27/28. Azpilicueta is pretty much the only cheap, good and young RB out there atm

Unfortunately his career has stagnated after his breakthrough year in 2010. One of the main reasons why no one has gone for him despite Ajax more than willing to sell him at a sub-10m price.

The Market for quality RBs is pretty bad right now with Debuchy and Azpiliceuta being the best availiable ... Debuchy is good although he only has another 4-5 years at the top as he is 27/28. Azpilicueta is pretty much the only cheap, good and young RB out there atm

I read something recently by someone who knows his stuff - perhaps it was Jonathan Wilson, I can't remember too well - that mentioned Azpilicueta being quite a few years off being properly top-flight material. Apparently he's prone to huge positional and concentrational mistakes. So yeah, at the moment, there's hardly any good right-backs around. It's probably best to look at the English lower leagues to see if there are any bargains. Nats Clyne was a massive one, and got snapped up by Southampton for under 4 mil, which could potentially be a stunning bit of business for them.

Probably false.. He cant do a U-Turn after the statements he has made. In my opinion it would take a lot more than getting Cazorla to make RVP stay
TBH, there's no real truth in this story. not even sure if this is real.
Manchester United to splash £50m on Lucas Moura and Robin Van Persie as Glazers send a signal | Mail Online

Although the part about SAF not joining the team to Norway's friendly is true.

True, there arent any quality rb's in the market for now. probably have to wait for a few years until something pops up. sime vrsaljko maybe ? ;)

I think Yennaris is our Sagna back-up for now. probably the only reason he's signed the new contract.

I read something recently by someone who knows his stuff - perhaps it was Jonathan Wilson, I can't remember too well - that mentioned Azpilicueta being quite a few years off being properly top-flight material. Apparently he's prone to huge positional and concentrational mistakes. So yeah, at the moment, there's hardly any good right-backs around. It's probably best to look at the English lower leagues to see if there are any bargains. Nats Clyne was a massive one, and got snapped up by Southampton for under 4 mil, which could potentially be a stunning bit of business for them.

Yep... I feel Azpilicueta has potential although he is nowhere near going to be our starting RB. If Van Der Wiel had paid more attention to his career over the past 4 years, he would have been a good option. Piszeck (sp) could also be availiable although he will be expensive. Debuchy is really the hottest RB around which just goes to show how bad the market for is for RBs as Debuchy is good but not as good as Ivanovic/Richards/Sagna

Maicon is also out there although his wage demands (80k p/w) are massive for a player on the way down especially in the era of FFP

Debuchy's good, but he's not young anymore, and how much do we want to pay for a back-up anyway? And Van der Wiel's not good enough. We'd be really foolish to give over £ 10M for him. Personally, I think we should just keep Jenkinson/Yennaris as back-up. We've always given the youth a chance (well, more than one), and it's one of the things I like about Arsenal.

Also Sagna is making good progress in his recovery so he might only miss the first couple games + games where he needs to build his match fitness ( 3 after last injury )

Beast is back soon and Coquelin was quite good as RB last season so I think we can manage.

Debuchy's good, but he's not young anymore, and how much do we want to pay for a back-up anyway? And Van der Wiel's not good enough. We'd be really foolish to give over £ 10M for him. Personally, I think we should just keep Jenkinson/Yennaris as back-up. We've always given the youth a chance (well, more than one), and it's one of the things I like about Arsenal.

Ajax are willing to sell for below 10m regarding VdW

If you're going to sign an RB from Ajax, make it Van Rhijn.

Cazorla to Arsenal per FIFA.

That makes 3 great attacking signings this year. French leading scorer for Ligue 1 champs, 100+ German caps for a striker/winger, and now a spanish international playmaker.

Cazorla should be .com official within the next couple of hours. Really excited by this signing, can't wait to see him playing in the hole behind the striker. It's gonna be magical.

If this arsenal team cannot win a trophy than i would sack wenger even after what all he has done for the club.Still think another RB is required seeing how injury prone sagna has become lately.

Apparently Robin van Quitin` doesn`t wanna quit anymore if we sign Cazorla, Sahin & der Wiel ( Cazorla it`s a done deal ). Someone close to the staff told a mate of mine that RvP is best pals with Gregory van der Wiel and if we sign him he will stay with us. Don`t know if this is true, but if we sign all of them and RvP is staying, i think we have a chance at silverware this season, and maybe compete with the big guns Red & Blue Manchesters. What do you think about that?

RvP

Podolski Cazorla Walcott

Sahin Song

Gibbs Vermaelen Koscielny Sagna

Szczesny

Back