The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
That's freaking impressive. Well done Afobe.

Arsenal's NextGen squad list is announced.
Goalkeepers:

Reice Charles-Cook - 18
Josh Vickers - 16

Defenders:

Zach Fagan (CB) - 17
Elton Monteiro (CB) - 18
Sead Hajrovic (CB) - 19
Leander Siemann (CB) - 16
Martin Angha (CB) - 18
Arinse Uade (CB) - 16
Tom Dallison (CB) - 16
Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill (LB) - 16
Samir Bihmoutine (LB) - 18
Hector Bellerin (RB) - 17
Nico Yennaris (RB, DM) - 19
Kyle Ebecilio (RB, CM) - 18

Midfielders:
Isaac Hayden (DM) - 17
Jordan Wynter (DM) -18
Kris Olsson (CM) - 17
Jon Toral (CM) - 17
Jack Jebb (CM) - 16
Josh Rees (RM) - 18
Thomas Eisfeld (AM) - 19
Serge Gnabry (AM) - 17
Chuks Aneke (AM) - 19

Forwards:

Phillip Roberts (ST) - 18
Nigel Neita (ST) - 18
Alfred Mugabo (RW) - 16
Tarum Dawkins (RW) - 16
Anthony Jeffrey (LW) - 17
Chuba Akpom (ST) - 16
Austin Lipman (ST) - 16
Zak Ansah (ST) - 18
Benik Afobe* (ST) - 19
*Arsenal have an option to call Afobe back to Arsenal on January

One of Afobe's goals yesterday:

[video=youtube;lkITUBMKeMM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkITUBMKeMM&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Podolski posted an unedited image of himself in training with the number #9 on his shorts on Facebook.

AzyC-CBCYAAX1n1.jpg

They cant stay away from us it seems. Personally I'd slap in 35m price tag on Song.

IIRC, he only has a year left on his contract. Slap a £35 mil price tag on him, alienate him, he leaves for free next season. That's the drill.

I'm 90% sure it's summer 2014. Walcott and RVP both end 2013 and Song is the year after.

EDIT - "We extended his contract yesterday. That will be confirmed very shortly. He is an important player. Alex has three years to go, now he has four years to go at the end of the season - to 2014"

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_5717481,00.html

Last edited:
Not sure what I feel about this transfer window. On one hand, Giroud, Podolski & Cazorla should have been enough to demonstrate Arsenal are serious about moving forward but it seems that wasn't enough for RVP or (supposedly) Song. So once again, we're left to have a messy end to the xfer window with perhaps our best (and only) proper DM heading or the exit alongside RVP being a "maybe" but obviously unhappy, alongside Walcott thinking "**** where's the exit?". A lot depends on the start to the season I'd say, how well played gel together, and how the influence of RVP affects everyone else if he isn't sold.

Not sure what I feel about this transfer window. On one hand, Giroud, Podolski & Cazorla should have been enough to demonstrate Arsenal are serious about moving forward but it seems that wasn't enough for RVP or (supposedly) Song. So once again, we're left to have a messy end to the xfer window with perhaps our best (and only) proper DM heading or the exit alongside RVP being a "maybe" but obviously unhappy, alongside Walcott thinking "**** where's the exit?". A lot depends on the start to the season I'd say, how well played gel together, and how the influence of RVP affects everyone else if he isn't sold.

I've heard Walcott is close to signing a new deal. Song has still couple years left in his contract and isn't really a DM. RVP will stay at least until january unless United pay up 25m or some foreign team 20m or so.

Yeah it isn't so much "we need to sell", it's that the club "looks" like it's a selling club which isn't challenging for anything. I agree it'll be a tough ask to pick up a CL or a league title in the next couple of years, but something is possible. It will be perhaps interesting to see how things develop with FFP when players move for more realistic fee (in theory at least!) which may put the onus onto clubs to offer better contracts in order to retain players, plus there's likely to be more bosman moves - making the perception of the club an important thing.

Song has still couple years left in his contract and isn't really a DM.
I suspect he might be more of one this season. Last season after losing Cesc he was either told (unlikely) or decided on his own to be more of a deep lying playmaker to borrow a FM term. Now we have Cazorla so creativity from the midfield is not an issue and you'd think Wenger will have told Song to rein it in a bit.

Sky Sports News are reporting that we have agreed a deal with Olympiacos to sell Squillaci.

Back