The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Does not necessarily mean that he would have repeated that feat multiple times if he was injury-free. Ok the one season he was fully fit, he destroyed defences. I am still to be convinced if he is truly the real deal or just a good player who had one great season

You do not do what you do last season if you are not a world class player. Everything about him is world class, he has a great goal to game ratio throughout the eight seasons despite his injuries. But look at Fabregas when he was at Arsenal got injured frequently, moved to Barcelona and had an injury free season. Truth be told RVP has been injured too much but the amount of players who have been injured at Arsenal frequently is really quite disturbing.

You do not do what you do last season if you are not a world class player. Everything about him is world class, he has a great goal to game ratio throughout the eight seasons despite his injuries. But look at Fabregas when he was at Arsenal got injured frequently, moved to Barcelona and had an injury free season. Truth be told RVP has been injured too much but the amount of players who have been injured at Arsenal frequently is really quite disturbing.

hmm... He is a quality player but not among the best in the world yet according to me

hmm... He is a quality player but not among the best in the world yet according to me

In my view if you take the current situation, I can't think of a better striker in the world a present.

Does not necessarily mean that he would have repeated that feat multiple times if he was injury-free. Ok the one season he was fully fit, he destroyed defences. I am still to be convinced if he is truly the real deal or just a good player who had one great season

Well he showed glimpses of the RVP of last season each season before he got injureed. Don't you think he'd have been sold or we would have signed another striker if he wasn't capable of reaching the heights of last season? Why else would he come back from injury and then displace Chamakh who was back then having a good season

How about comparing with few of the best strikers who played in PL.

Drogba scored 20 plus goals only twice in 8 years at Chelsea and both are 30 plus goals season. (0.46 goals per game).

Torres scored 20 plus goals 4 times, twice in PL and twice in La Liga. 1 30 plus goal season. (0.44 goals per game only for PL club).

RVP scored 20 plus 3 times. 1 30 plus goal season. (0.47 goals per game).

Tevez scored 20 plus 2 times. (0.43 goals per game).

Rooney 4 20 plus and 2 30 plus goals season (0.49 goals per game).

Comparable with few of the best strikers played in PL.

It wasn't inevitable two years ago, so you are talking nonsense, and trying to argue hindsight something they couldn't have known at the time. The fact is he gave every indication that he would sign, then rapidly started backpedalling over the last 6 months. Which is why Arsenal fans are so irate that he is joining us.

Actually, you're right there. You must be right, you're mike.

Wenger has said he signed Podolski and Giroud as RVP replacements. This deal was in the pipeline 2 months ago to sell RVP.

Yeah tried to sell to Juve, but current crisis with Conte came at bad time and he didn't want to go there.

I'm still seething, i still can't believe we'd sell a player of RVP's calibre to United regardless of circumstances

Selling anybody to a rival team is hard to take. Fergie's spent an apparent £24m on an injury-prone 29-year-old in the last year of his contract. I think Arsenal are the winners in this deal. With Wenger's record of selling players on the cheap in similar situations (Henry, Vieira, Clichy) we've very much got the best end of the deal here.

How about comparing with few of the best strikers who played in PL.

Drogba scored 20 plus goals only twice in 8 years at Chelsea and both are 30 plus goals season. (0.46 goals per game).

Torres scored 20 plus goals 4 times, twice in PL and twice in La Liga. 1 30 plus goal season. (0.44 goals per game only for PL club).

RVP scored 20 plus 3 times. 1 30 plus goal season. (0.47 goals per game).

Tevez scored 20 plus 2 times. (0.43 goals per game).

Rooney 4 20 plus and 2 30 plus goals season (0.49 goals per game).

Comparable with few of the best strikers played in PL.

I was going to post something like this, i think he averaged around 17 ish goals a season. Funny that he was only good for one season apparently!

I'm still seething, i still can't believe we'd sell a player of RVP's calibre to United regardless of circumstances

20 mil £ for a 29 year old player who doesn`t wanna play for you anymore, it`s a brill business, most of us don`t care anymore, life goes on, and now the club can go forward, we`ll see what will happen, but believe me, it will be ok. If we`ll have a good start to the season, who knows ... maybe we`re in for some silverware. Don`t worry mate, i have a feeling we`ll do well, i do really believe that, we are in a better position than last year`s start of the season.

Selling anybody to a rival team is hard to take. Fergie's spent an apparent £24m on an injury-prone 29-year-old in the last year of his contract. I think Arsenal are the winners in this deal. With Wenger's record of selling players on the cheap in similar situations (Henry, Vieira, Clichy) we've very much got the best end of the deal here.

18 months injury-free, in the current situation probably the best striker in the world, everyone knows Arsenal's medical team is questioned, Fabregas was injured a lot and then goes to Barcelona and has an injury-free season. The amount of players who get frequently injured at Arsenal is really quite disturbing.

But anyway taking the current situation, 18 month injury-free striker, if RVP remains that way and does not pick up anything serious, United have got the best striker currently in the world (only one I can think of is Aguero/Rooney who comes close).

When you consider Chelsea paid 50m for Torres, 24m (that is with add-ons) RVP is a great deal for United. But Arsenal did benefit considering he had one year left as well, although imo they lost the current best striker in the world.

Last edited:
RVP and now Song...

I initially thought with these two Arsenal could be dark horses for the league but now I only see others catching them and arsenal having similar problems as previous seasons

I was going to post something like this, i think he averaged around 17 ish goals a season. Funny that he was only good for one season apparently!

Last 1,5 seasons have improved his record quite a bit. Before it was something like 0.39 goals per game.

Back