The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Also The United medical dept seems to be considerably better than Arsenal, looking back over the years.

18 months injury-free, in the current situation probably the best striker in the world, everyone knows Arsenal's medical team is questioned, Fabregas was injured a lot and then goes to Barcelona and has an injury-free season. The amount of players who get frequently injured at Arsenal is really quite disturbing.

But anyway taking the current situation, 18 month injury-free striker, if RVP remains that way and does not pick up anything serious, United have got the best striker currently in the world (only one I can think of is Aguero/Rooney who comes close).

When you consider Chelsea paid 50m for Torres, 24m (that is with add-ons) RVP is a great deal for United. But Arsenal did benefit considering he had one year left as well, although imo they lost the current best striker in the world.

He's in great form, I admit, and has done well to stay in the team ruglarly recently. But he is still injury-prone; an injury can come out of nothing and nowhere (true for everyone, I suppose), but we've just gained £24m [if everything goes well for him at United]. We'll get on fine without him I hope. I'm over it already (until I see him in a United top). Hopefully Giroud and Podolski can step up.

RVP and now Song...

I initially thought with these two Arsenal could be dark horses for the league but now I only see others catching them and arsenal having similar problems as previous seasons

I personally think Song is overrated, we'd be better off with an actual DM

Yep, Bartley is off for a loan I think. Apparently that is going to open the door for us to sign Angel Rangel from them which would sort the RB situation out nicely. At 29 he still has a few good years and was excellent last season for Swansea but when his time is up, Jenkinson should be ready.

I personally think Song is overrated, we'd be better off with an actual DM

He may not be the best physically and defensively (which are key to his role), but he did contribute to many goals and subsequently wins last season. We need another Vieira, someone who can defend as well as attack, with the addition of taking no ****.

EDIT: Re: Bartley, I was unaware of this situation. Good luck to him.

Last edited:
Our new number 10 is going to be Jack Wilshere, Podolski set for the dreaded number 9.

He may not be the best physically and defensively (which are key to his role), but he did contribute to many goals and subsequently wins last season. We need another Vieira, someone who can defend as well as attack, with the addition of taking no ****.

EDIT: Re: Bartley, I was unaware of this situation. Good luck to him, hope he comes back stronger.

He contributed to a lot of important goals i'll give him that but that masks the number of times he lost possession while trying "hollywood" through balls

Darren Mackenzie ‏@Dazzadub

@Lordhillwood spread the love, heard wenger grabbed song and had be seperated.

Last edited:
Just seen pictures of people burning their Arsenal shirts with RVP on the back. Absolutely tasteless!!! Do they not realise they are burning their own crest!!!!! ******* pathetic! This whole transfer reminds me of the Torres one to Chelsea, he left to win trophies even though he was loved by supporters and he loves the club too. And has his decision been justified it's as simple as that!

Just seen pictures of people burning their Arsenal shirts with RVP on the back. Absolutely tasteless!!! Do they not realise they are burning their own crest!!!!! ******* pathetic! This whole transfer reminds me of the Torres one to Chelsea, he left to win trophies even though he was loved by supporters and he loves the club too. And has his decision been justified it's as simple as that!

I wonder if the same Arsenal fans were so outraged when Sol joined them from Spurs.

That is too far. It's football, it happens. Players come and players go. Same goes for captains. Burning the shirt is the definition of a **** (for lack of a better word).

Bartley just confirmed via his twitter that it is indeed a permanent move. Best of luck to him.

Fickle fans lad, it is identical to the Torres Transfer, for the same reasons and IMO both justified

I'm really not upset, it actually made my decision to get a Pods kit much easier. Now should I get home or away?

But I do say I was surprised when I saw the news (I blurted out "what?") as I thought RVP would stay at least till winter. Which may have been the case but runor has it that Wenger pushed him out the door.

but anyway

-------Pods
Gerv----------Walcott
-------Santi
----Sahin---Arteta
Gibb--Kos-Verm--Sagna

or
---------Oli
--Pods-------Walcott
--------Ox
----Santi--Arteta

We still have lots of midfield and attacking options if Song leaves. Coq or Frimpong, Rosicky (who had a good 2nd half last year) Ramsey and Wilshere. Lots of options.

I could see us looking for a quality DM but it's not paramount. I'd wager that if we made any more moves it would be for defensive depth.

How about comparing with few of the best strikers who played in PL.

Drogba scored 20 plus goals only twice in 8 years at Chelsea and both are 30 plus goals season. (0.46 goals per game).

Torres scored 20 plus goals 4 times, twice in PL and twice in La Liga. 1 30 plus goal season. (0.44 goals per game only for PL club).

RVP scored 20 plus 3 times. 1 30 plus goal season. (0.47 goals per game).

Tevez scored 20 plus 2 times. (0.43 goals per game).

Rooney 4 20 plus and 2 30 plus goals season (0.49 goals per game).

Comparable with few of the best strikers played in PL.

Dont you think that RVP's stats will be massively skewed due to the significantly lower number of apps he has made comapred to the other strikers on your list (Other than Torres perhaps)

When you consider Chelsea paid 50m for Torres, 24m (that is with add-ons) RVP is a great deal for United. But Arsenal did benefit considering he had one year left as well, although imo they lost the current best striker in the world.

But its incorrect to compare it to the Torres transfer and justify the price you paid for RVP. Its all relative. In that case I can compare every transfer Chelsea have made to Ronaldo's 80m transfer to Madrid and say we got a great deal

runor has it that we were sniffing around for Leandro Damiao.

Any chance that our sale of RVP might make this a serious man hunt? We've got two good middle age strikers, one young striker on lone (Afobe, do we have a recall clause?). A young potential superstar like Damiao would give us depth and potential alongside Afobe.

I mean who is our #3 striker? Walcott? Arshavin? Chamakh or Bendtner (assuming they aren't sold).

runor has it that we were sniffing around for Leandro Damiao.

Any chance that our sale of RVP might make this a serious man hunt? We've got two good middle age strikers, one young striker on lone (Afobe, do we have a recall clause?). A young potential superstar like Damiao would give us depth and potential alongside Afobe.

I mean who is our #3 striker? Walcott? Arshavin? Chamakh or Bendtner (assuming they aren't sold).

Damiao would likely cost around the same as RVP. Internacional are very reluctant to sell him especially as they already lost Oscar this summer. Tottenham ahve been trying for the past year yet Internacional are asking too much. Would be a top signing although didn't you bring in Giroud to replace RVP?

Girouds place is uncsrtain...now that rvp is gone many still see him as #2 strikeri unless.we go 4-4-2. However i think he is a good player.

Back