The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
See you later Walcott, your screaming pace will be missed, but not your lack of creativity when you get to the touchline and let the ball go out for a goal kick.

See you later Walcott, your screaming pace will be missed, but not your lack of creativity when you get to the touchline and let the ball go out for a goal kick.
It annoys me when people say this stuff about Walcott. They completely disregard the impact he has on opposing defences and the space he opens up for others. Yes, his on the ball skills could do with improving but off the ball he is arguably our most important player. And more often then not he comes up in the big games for us (Barca, Chelsea, Tottenham, Udinese to name a few).

offers pace and runs at defenders, which is good, but im sure they could find someone better that does the same

Usain Bolt?

Walcott offers zero with the ball on the wing. He's a pretty instinctive finisher so i'm not sure why Arsene doesn't go back to the days of absorbing pressure and then destroying teams on the break with pace. It's clear to me that Giroud is a donkey, joining the line with Chamakh and Bendtner, not good enough for Arsenal, so play Theo there. You bought him to mould him into a centre forward Arsene, get on with it before he's 30!

Podolski, Cazorla and The Ox behind Walcott playing on the shoulder is a very good front 4, especially on the counter.

Let's not break into the realms of hyperbole here, Arsenal are clearly still one of the top teams in England and probably still will be in the near to medium-term future, but their lack of drive will, and has, prevented them from kicking out of their current funk. I don't know what Arsenal's board is playing at, but I'm pretty sure this ain't Wenger's fault...

I meant one of the top 2 teams in England, considering the mention of 2 "big" clubs in Spain, even if the situations are rather different. That said, this was 6 or 7 pages, 9 hours and a shitload of "Ancient History I" ago...

It annoys me when people say this stuff about Walcott. They completely disregard the impact he has on opposing defences and the space he opens up for others. Yes, his on the ball skills could do with improving but off the ball he is arguably our most important player. And more often then not he comes up in the big games for us (Barca, Chelsea, Tottenham, Udinese to name a few).

This. To elaborate, Walcott is important because not only does his searing pace force the opposition to defend deep in a way no other Arsenal player does, but because he's so direct in his movement, offering a constant outlet on the right.

I meant one of the top 2 teams in England, considering the mention of 2 "big" clubs in Spain, even if the situations are rather different. That said, this was 6 or 7 pages, 9 hours and a shitload of "Ancient History I" ago...

Ah. In which case, agreed.

This. To elaborate, Walcott is important because not only does his searing pace force the opposition to defend deep in a way no other Arsenal player does, but because he's so direct in his movement, offering a constant outlet on the right.

There are plenty of other speedy wingers out there though. I don't hate Walcott, I do appreciate what he offers to the team as far as options go, but he's not a perfect player. He's replaceable.

I just chose that attribute of Walcott to vent my frustrations with the exodus of players we've seen recently. I know it has happened before, but the core of players from two years ago is completely gone. Clichy, Fabregas, Nasri, Van Persie, Song, and Walcott. It's a whole 'nother starting 11 now. I feel like if you don't want to play for Arsenal, now is the time to head for the door. We haven't won anything with these guys anyways, so it's not that big of a loss. Time to rebuild.

I just chose that attribute of Walcott to vent my frustrations with the exodus of players we've seen recently. I know it has happened before, but the core of players from two years ago is completely gone. Clichy, Fabregas, Nasri, Van Persie, Song, and Walcott. It's a whole 'nother starting 11 now. I feel like if you don't want to play for Arsenal, now is the time to head for the door. We haven't won anything with these guys anyways, so it's not that big of a loss. Time to rebuild.

It's quite a big loss because those players were quality and were only a few additions from challenging for trophies. Now we're effectively back to square one hoping some of our new signings turn out to be quality before they get sold agaiin

Finding it quite surprising how Arsenal fans are so easily dismissing the impact Walcott has. He is far, far off being the complete player that's for sure, but pace is arguably the most important attribute for playing in the Premiership (though granted, we seem to be edging towards a more technical approach finally).

He can be frustrating to watch at times but I remember him getting slated last season two weeks after he got 6 assists on the bounce which I found quite odd.

I'd welcome him with open arms at Liverpool - he's not perfect but he is exactly what we need and until Sterling popped up, the type of player that we're missing.

------

It's horrible to have been a Liverpool fan over the last few seasons but as an Arsenal fan I would be rather concerned too at present by the bigger picture of what Walcott leaving would mean. With Fabregas, Nasri, RVP, Song and now him, you're showing the world that players can be taken off you whenever a club feels like it and with little resistance.

Don't think since the Premiership began, I've ever seen a team 'gutted' so much in so few seasons.

EDIT: This player that some of you are quoted as saying as replacable scored you 8 goals and 11 (some sources say 12) assists in the league alone last season. Not too shabby stats for a winger.

Last edited:
I for one doesn't want Walcott to go. He is frustrating at times, but still qood player who is only 23 and will likely improve.

Also the news broke out only on friday as he is yet to agree to new contract. Negotiations haven't broken down and lot of good Arsenal sources state he very much likes it here.

Finding it quite surprising how Arsenal fans are so easily dismissing the impact Walcott has. He is far, far off being the complete player that's for sure, but pace is arguably the most important attribute for playing in the Premiership (though granted, we seem to be edging towards a more technical approach finally).

He can be frustrating to watch at times but I remember him getting slated last season two weeks after he got 6 assists on the bounce which I found quite odd.

I'd welcome him with open arms at Liverpool - he's not perfect but he is exactly what we need and until Sterling popped up, the type of player that we're missing.

------

It's horrible to have been a Liverpool fan over the last few seasons but as an Arsenal fan I would be rather concerned too at present by the bigger picture of what Walcott leaving would mean. With Fabregas, Nasri, RVP, Song and now him, you're showing the world that players can be taken off you whenever a club feels like it and with little resistance.

Don't think since the Premiership began, I've ever seen a team 'gutted' so much in so few seasons.

EDIT: This player that some of you are quoted as saying as replacable scored you 8 goals and 11 (some sources say 12) assists in the league alone last season. Not too shabby stats for a winger.

Read one of Godcube's posts about Walcott stats and you'll see why we dismiss his impact. I wouldn't mind him staying only because I doubt we'll be getting someone else in

Read one of Godcube's posts about Walcott stats and you'll see why we dismiss his impact. I wouldn't mind him staying only because I doubt we'll be getting someone else in

Godcubed posts don't dismiss his impact at all, quite the the opposite. His most important impact isnt measured in stats: pace and directness. He forces defenders to defend deep, which enlarges the space on the pitch and gives arsenal more room. Not to mention he scored 8 goals and 11 assists. Think that makes him your 3rd top scorer and 3rd top assister, as well as your only truly effective wide forward.

Last edited:
i remember someone in this thread saying 'its wise to cash in for walcott with 1 year left on his contract'. still searching page 400 for that quote :P

i remember someone in this thread saying 'its wise to cash in for walcott with 1 year left on his contract'. still searching page 400 for that quote :P

Lier. I checked page 400 and it had "24 year old Dutch sensation Dennis Bergkamp rumoured to join Arsenal"

Of course it would be wise to cash in on him. He's a good player against top sides because they create space behind them for him to run into for a finish. His problem, which hasn't been resolved, is that he cannot take the ball past a man using technique... which is imperative for an Arsenal team which is intended to rely on and keep possession. Teams drop deep against the side, and so you need more trickery to get past them. That isn't to say he is a bad player, it is just that he cannot have such an influence on a game when it doesn't appear to suit his abilities.

The problem with Walcott is if he truly believes he'd do better elsewhere I'd rather sell him now than lose him for nothing at the end of next year, though if he intends to stay (consider, he has been here for 7 years..) then it's probably his agent talking up a move for greater fees. Having seen them play though, I prefer Chamberlain in that role as he's got better feet, and for a 23-year old it'd be a substantial fee.

Selling players doesn't concern me as long as they bring in new talent who want to play for the club in its "new role", after all, the squad is full of dead wood which needs pruning though I imagine a few will be let go on Bosmans once ffp kicks in.

Back