The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Don't bother if I was you. The fact he was Arsenals second highest scorer last season with 11 goals, scared defenders stupid with his pace, had moments of sheer brilliance etc etc etc obviously means absolutely nothing. Obviously doesn't pay attention to his club players properly

It just that many fans seem to have predetermined impressions of players..

Like for example... Glen Johnson was poor defending initally. Now whenever people mention his name, that statement inevitably comes up. Lets just forget those fantastic displays he put in Euro 2012 at RB. Same way Walcott will always remain a sprinter wearing football boots according to fans

Makes sense now that you point it out... Chelsea had Ramires/Sturridge last season. Both pacey players who forced defenses to drop allowing Mata space to work the ball

If they defend deep, the creators get time and space. If they defend high, the direct runner gets behind the defence.

If they defend deep, the creators get time and space. If they defend high, the direct runner gets behind the defence.

Yeah that's a problem his presence on the pitch causes, doesn't make him a good player. A lot of wingers are fast and naturally cause that problem and are also good when they actually have the ball. If only Walcott had the dribbling skills of Gervinho..

Yeah that's a problem his presence on the pitch causes, doesn't make him a good player. A lot of wingers are fast and naturally cause that problem and are also good when they actually have the ball. If only Walcott had the dribbling skills of Gervinho..

He has been good with the ball hence his goals and assists... He is still raw, and still needs his all round game fleshed out. And he isnt a winger, hes a wide striker, he doesnt constantly attempt to whip the ball in from wide.

You mean the gervinho who hasnt actually done his job?

And if only Gervinho didn't trip over the ball whenever he got into the box, he'd be like an Ivorian Messi.

i know i may get shot down by saying this but i think wenger should play walcott as a st and not on the wing hes got to much time to think out there if u play him upfront and play him in he got less time to think about what hes going to do even ian wright has come out in the past and said the same and he should know well thats what i think so bring on the hate lol

I'm actually being a bit hard on Gervinho, but he hasn't been as effective as he should have been, hesitates too much.

He has been good with the ball hence his goals and assists... He is still raw, and still needs his all round game fleshed out. And he isnt a winger, hes a wide striker, he doesnt constantly attempt to whip the ball in from wide.

You mean the gervinho who hasnt actually done his job?

As for Walcott, assists are very relevant, as are goals, and he had 8 of each. However, that's offset quite a bit by the fact he took 76 shots to score those 8, had an under 80% pass success rate, only 41 key passes, 35 successful dribbles and dispossessed or turned over the ball to the opposition 147 times throughout the season.

Clearly not good on the ball. As for Gervinho, his only problem is he doesn't know when to release the ball

Good player? Debateable. The effect he has on both his own team and the opposition? Undeniable. Walcott may not be a great player, but the impact he causes indirectly with his movement and pace is invaluable.

So, give us some examples of wingers Arsenal could sign. It's all well and good saying "there are alternatives", but what are they?

If only Gervinho didn't have the composure of damp tissue paper, he'd be a quality player. Problem is, he does.

Clearly not good on the ball. As for Gervinho, his only problem is he doesn't know when to release the ball

Good ON the ball =/= good WITH the ball. His dribbling and ball control might be substandard, but his end product is actually pretty good. Pretty much the anti-Gervinho.

8 goals (only RVP scored more) 8 assists(only Song and RVP made more), created 42 chances. averages 24 passes per game and 76% accuracy, successfully dribbled past his man al least one every game. 2.2 shots a game, only RVP took more, which meant he was constantly making himself a goal threat. So yeah he was good with the ball in his role as a direct threat. But as I said, still raw.

Not knowing when to pass or shoot is a big problem to have in that role. So thats a pretty big flaw for Gervinho to have.

Seeing as we're not looking at signing any atm I might as well say people like Messi, Ronaldo, Robben etc. All better alternatives than Walcott :D

Seeing as we're not looking at signing any atm I might as well say people like Messi, Ronaldo, Robben etc. All better alternatives than Walcott :D

So, in other words, there aren't any alternatives. Saying "Walcott is **** compared to SOME WINGERS" is bollocks. That's like saying all strikers are **** compared to Messi. It's true, but it doesn't make it relevant.

i know i may get shot down by saying this but i think wenger should play walcott as a st and not on the wing hes got to much time to think out there if u play him upfront and play him in he got less time to think about what hes going to do even ian wright has come out in the past and said the same and he should know well thats what i think so bring on the hate lol

This idea would have worked better with RVP at the club though. 4-4-2 split forward shape with two deep patrolling centre mids, two wide players who work inside as well as the flanks. RVP as the creator/Walcott as the scorer.

This idea would have worked better with RVP at the club though. 4-4-2 split forward shape with two deep patrolling centre mids, two wide players who work inside as well as the flanks. RVP as the creator/Walcott as the scorer.

Could only have been a secondary formation, though. Not enough control for Arsenal's style or Wenger's liking.

Good ON the ball =/= good WITH the ball. His dribbling and ball control might be substandard, but his end product is actually pretty good. Pretty much the anti-Gervinho.

Pretty much but then should we ban him from taking more than two touches?

So, in other words, there aren't any alternatives. Saying "Walcott is **** compared to SOME WINGERS" is bollocks. That's like saying all strikers are **** compared to Messi. It's true, but it doesn't make it relevant.

You clearly have misunderstood the post :P

We are in Group B in CL with Schalke, Olympiakos and Montpellier. Pretty good draw for us. No overly long trips except one to Athens.

Back