The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
As much as you may hate it, it's the truth.

Not really, no. Arsenal could probably spend more, or at the very least not sell their best players every year. You choose not to, and as long as you keep doing that your squad will of course be weaker than that of your rivals.

Not really, no. Arsenal could probably spend more, or at the very least not sell their best players every year. You choose not to, and as long as you keep doing that your squad will of course be weaker than that of your rivals.

Indeed, it's more accurate to say we refuse to pay transfer fees and wages that are down-right extortionate, and rightly so.

Then you'll inevitably get left behind. That's the nature of the beast...

We always get left behind financially. And yet 6 games in we're 2nd in table. Who needs money lol

We always get left behind financially. And yet 6 games in we're 2nd in table. Who needs money lol

But you're on a ticking timebomb, in the sense that you normally lose your best players and every year Moyes has to find replacements on limited funds. Eventually, this will almost certainly lead to a decline. If the rich clubs make a mistake, they can fix it. You don't really have that luxury.

But you're on a ticking timebomb, in the sense that you normally lose your best players and every year Moyes has to find replacements on limited funds. Eventually, this will almost certainly lead to a decline. If the rich clubs make a mistake, they can fix it. You don't really have that luxury.

You have to put a dampner on my mood dont you?! lol. If by Jan, we're still top 4 we won't lose anyone. Yes it's a tall order due to the fact we still need a couple of players for squad depth, but with our style of play, the quality we've brought in I don't see why not. If all goes well, this season can be used as a springboard

I cant help it! My Dad's a Toffee and he's always pretty grim when he talks about this sort of thing.

The problem is, we've been building for the whole FFP thing and now that it is going to take place the big spending clubs are just finding ways to by pass the rules.

The problem is, we've been building for the whole FFP thing and now that it is going to take place the big spending clubs are just finding ways to by pass the rules.

I am only aware of Manchester City trying to do that. Clubs such as Chelsea have been working hard for the past 3-4 years to comply with the FFP and we are probably going to scrape through

Maybe. But if you ask me, that isn't a reason to bend over for people's greed.

Not to mention, we secured Cazorla for £12m over the Summer. You don't have to pay over the odds for quality.

Maybe. But if you ask me, that isn't a reason to bend over for people's greed.

Not to mention, we secured Cazorla for £12m over the Summer. You don't have to pay over the odds for quality.

Sure, you can get one or two cheap quality players, but in the meantime pretty much every other team will have strengthened their squad with a handful of quality players. And even teams like Spurs or maybe even Newcastle, who don't really spend that much, but who are willing to cough up the extra quid for a quality player, are catching up with you, while the top three teams (United/Chelsea/City) are out of your reach. Don't get me wrong, the amount of money spent on players sickens me, but in modern football money is the name of the game.

Sure, you can get one or two cheap quality players, but in the meantime pretty much every other team will have strengthened their squad with a handful of quality players. And even teams like Spurs or maybe even Newcastle, who don't really spend that much, but who are willing to cough up the extra quid for a quality player, are catching up with you, while the top three teams (United/Chelsea/City) are out of your reach. Don't get me wrong, the amount of money spent on players sickens me, but in modern football money is the name of the game.

Suddenly Chelsea are out of our reach? Wait until the end of the season to make a claim like that, yes they're currently top of the table, but it was only a few months ago we were finishing 3 places above them in the league.

Suddenly Chelsea are out of our reach? Wait until the end of the season to make a claim like that, yes they're currently top of the table, but it was only a few months ago we were finishing 3 places above them in the league.

I agree with waiting till the end of the season but the amount they have spent, it is very likely it will happen.. add that Torres looks to be scoring a little more frequent

Yeah, a few months and a few million pounds ago...

Yeah, a few months and a few million pounds ago...

They have been spending more than us for years now, so us finishing above them last season shows that is isn't 'inevitable' as you label it that we'll be 'left behind'.

I don't deny that spending helps, but it isn't the only way to keep within touching distance of other big clubs, and hopefully we'll prove it yet again this year.

Back