The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
So there have been some reports saying that Pep Guardiola has told Arsenal he is willing to take over for Arsene Wenger in the summer of 2013 if Wenger decides to leave. The theory is that Wenger would move on to the board with Guardiola taking over as manager.

I would love this to happen if it were true but the main problem I have is if it is true that the board was not willing to give Wenger funds, why would Guardiola want to come if he doesn't get money to strengthen the squad? Unless he does get funds to strengthen the squad and just chooses not to then I definitely think that Guardiola would use them. I honestly think that no matter what happens for the rest of the season one of our main missions in the summer should be to get Guardiola.

I would **** bricks if Pep came.

We already try to imitate his Barca style. Rumors of PSG interested in Wenger, so there is an opportunity for him to move on and for us to get Pep.

And yes, we have a conservative board. But I think we now really are in a financial position to spend large sums and maintain a profit. That wasn't the case the last couple years due to poor sponsorship. Same thing happens in FM (to me at least)

So there have been some reports saying that Pep Guardiola has told Arsenal he is willing to take over for Arsene Wenger in the summer of 2013 if Wenger decides to leave. The theory is that Wenger would move on to the board with Guardiola taking over as manager.

I would love this to happen if it were true but the main problem I have is if it is true that the board was not willing to give Wenger funds, why would Guardiola want to come if he doesn't get money to strengthen the squad? Unless he does get funds to strengthen the squad and just chooses not to then I definitely think that Guardiola would use them. I honestly think that no matter what happens for the rest of the season one of our main missions in the summer should be to get Guardiola.

We don't know about the funds indefinately. Also in late years Wengers signings havent been as good as in past.

Also we get money from new Emirates deal in summer. So +30m to warchest right there.

I think it would be amazing to have Pep. He would want assurance that there's money to spend and there's no excuse for board that there isn't. We could spend even 100m in summer window without too much trouble.

So there have been some reports saying that Pep Guardiola has told Arsenal he is willing to take over for Arsene Wenger in the summer of 2013 if Wenger decides to leave. The theory is that Wenger would move on to the board with Guardiola taking over as manager. .

Sources?

I would love it if we got Pep. I do feel like Arsenal is the dark horse destination for Pep. I would be shocked if he went to Chelsea knowing Abramovich's finicky nature of buying players/firing managers. ManU is possible, but SAF has been talking up Mourinho. If that happens, it would be interesting to see Pep go to ManC and see that rivalry resume. Of course, there's interest from PSG and AC Milan, too.

Sources?

I would love it if we got Pep. I do feel like Arsenal is the dark horse destination for Pep. I would be shocked if he went to Chelsea knowing Abramovich's finicky nature of buying players/firing managers. ManU is possible, but SAF has been talking up Mourinho. If that happens, it would be interesting to see Pep go to ManC and see that rivalry resume. Of course, there's interest from PSG and AC Milan, too.

Guardiola tells Arsenal: You're my top choice in England - Goal.com

Meh. I'm taking it with a pinch of salt

I've thought the whole Guardiola situation ever since Chelsea fired Di Matteo and I believe it's not that farfetched that he would choose Arsenal over the likes of Chelsea, City or even United. Why would he go to Chelsea when they have no stability? Arsenal plays more like Barcelona than any of the others and they are more like a team he knows how to manage with promoting from within when they need to and if he needs to he WILL spend money even when Wenger wouldn't. Yeah it is goal.com but still it would make sense imo.

In the last 8 years I have never seen an Arsenal team play such appauling football.

I believe if we would have fielded a weaker squad we probably could have won that match.

I believe if we would have fielded a weaker squad we probably could have won that match.

Probably would have done better fielding our reserves there. Except Wilshere and Coquelin no effort from team. Some from Rosicky in the end. I know we had lost when I saw Chamakh step to take the penalty. Don't know what Wenger was thinking.

Can't blame Chamakh, Cazorla and Vermaelen both missed penalties as well. Surprised that Rosicky didn't take a penalty though. Honestly if one person was to miss I would have thought Ox would have missed.

Can't blame Chamakh, Cazorla and Vermaelen both missed penalties as well. Surprised that Rosicky didn't take a penalty though. Honestly if one person was to miss I would have thought Ox would have missed.

ox's pen was brilliant too bodes well for england when we get knocked out of the next tourney in the quartes on pens

Oh hi wound, here is some salt

"When we saw their team sheet, we couldn't believe it. Steve Parkin [the assistant manager] wrote their side down and at the bottom he wrote 'poor team', exclamation mark.

Thats some spice also lol

No blame on Chamakh himself for it. I blame Wenger who decided the takers. Still we can't put blame on penalties. Game should've been won in first half.

No blame on Chamakh himself for it. I blame Wenger who decided the takers.

Wait, since when do managers choose penalty takers? The vast majority of the time it's the players who choose amongst themselves.

No blame on Chamakh himself for it. I blame Wenger who decided the takers. Still we can't put blame on penalties. Game should've been won in first half.

I don't think Wenger chose the takers. When you watched them right before the shootout Vermaelen looked to be asking who wanted to take penalties and Chamakh held up two fingers. I still think Rosicky should have taken the first penalty.

Also on the manager front if Wenger was to leave I really only want us to either get Guardiola or Jurgen Klopp from Dortmund as they have most of the same philosophies as Wenger does.

Back