The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
But the problem with that is come the summer they will be back on our wage budget and if we do buy then we have those we sent out on loan on our wages again and the ones we bought in January. You may say oh well we can just sell them in the summer but what if like last summer no one comes in for offers for those players? Then we are about to send them back out on loan for another season where we wouldn't be making any money just freeing up wages. We can't just keep sending players out on loan until their contracts are up.

Anyways we put out a strong squad today against Swansea let's hope we can get a result. Theo is back out on the wings as well with Giroud up top.

Our asking price was too high for Bendtner after decent Euro's. No one wanted to take chance with Park after sitting on his *** after year as he was on rather high wages aswell. Squillaci the same as Park, but no one even wanted to take him on loan. Denilson's playing better and will likely leave soon.

As for likes of Chamakh etc they were kept as backups in case of injuries which didn't happen.

Jesus ******* Christ I've just tuned in and 3 goals already.

We have totally dominated this second half. Our defense lets us down again.

Yup defence has been totally shocking. Also why the **** does the team turn off the moment they get in the lead? Incredibly frustrating. Think a new CB would definitely help at the moment. Moving on Djourou gives us Kosicleny (in terrible form), Vermaelen (in terrible form) and Per (in terrible form, and too slow to play a high line and compact the space in front).

Our central defenders aren't in "terrible" form. Koscielny was better then Mertesacker but I wouldn't say they had horrible matches. I mean those two goals were because Per is to slow and because our zonal marking obviously doesn't work. Also why did we only use one substitution? Surely we could have brought on Rosicky or Ox to add some pace to the match.

I disagree, though I do see your point.

Vermaelen has been positionally awful in the last few games, as has Kos. So much about defending isn't about last second challenges it's about being in the right place to cut out the ball. I didn't really see them assert themselves enough. Per I'll accept hasn't been bad, but isn't helped by the fact that Sagna seems terrible lately and refused countless chances to get the ball into the ball for Giroud to attack.

I have to say after the first goal I looked at Rosicky and the Ox as the two players who would have helped; especially Rosicky as he seems to grab games by the throat and make something happen.

I would just like to add Mikel Arteta should have never turned his back to the ball when Danny Graham struck it for the second goal. He should have blocked it no idea why he didn't.

I would just like to add Mikel Arteta should have never turned his back to the ball when Danny Graham struck it for the second goal. He should have blocked it no idea why he didn't.

I thought the same thing, he also didn't rush out to pressure the shot. I know his duty is the post, but at that point you are the only guy to save the day, do it! This is a clear example of why we need a true DM brought in. Arteta just isn't that defensive minded.

It's funny how these players talk to the media and say they would love to play for a team like Arsenal (Vertonghen, Holtby) only to sign for Spurs in the end. Big rumor at the moment is we will sign David Villa from Barcelona. I heard a couple days ago that the big thing about this is we are still owed 8m from selling both Fabregas and Song to Barcelona and we will be trying to use that as a way to get him. Fee could be around 12-14m.

Apparently Vertonghen wanted assurances he'd be in the first team week in, week out.

Then in hind sight Arsenal should have gave them to him?

We wanted to make him into our holding player and he would've likely gotten first team spot for it. He wanted to play in central defence.

Still in hindsight would have said anything for him so he'd sign.

We wanted to make him into our holding player and he would've likely gotten first team spot for it. He wanted to play in central defence.

Still in hindsight would have said anything for him so he'd sign.

Tottenham did that yet he still played LB for them a couple times this season. Anyways I wonder if any new signings will be made before the Man City match. I heard Wenger wanted a new signing to be made before that match.

Apparently Vertonghen wanted assurances he'd be in the first team week in, week out.

Arsene Wenger logic and his French tinted glasses. How on earth could you not give them assurances he is far better than Koscielny and Mertesacker. Not only this he can play varied positions along the back four, makes absolutely no sense to me at all. But oh well I suppose that's Wenger for you, the guy who announced interest in Holtby the day Spurs signed him.

Spurs only signed Holtby because we wanted him, happens all the time lately it seems. Dempsey, Vertonghen, Holtby and now Zaha as well. I just watched Arsene Wenger's post match press conference and I don't understand how he can call for a penalty when it was quite clear from replays that Aaron Ramsey clipped his own foot...

Arsene Wenger logic and his French tinted glasses. How on earth could you not give them assurances he is far better than Koscielny and Mertesacker.
Koscielny was our best, and one of the leagues best, CB last season and Mertesacker has been our best this season.

Arsene Wenger logic and his French tinted glasses. How on earth could you not give them assurances he is far better than Koscielny and Mertesacker. Not only this he can play varied positions along the back four, makes absolutely no sense to me at all. But oh well I suppose that's Wenger for you, the guy who announced interest in Holtby the day Spurs signed him.

Erm not really. Koscielny was amazing last season and it would have been stupid for Wenger to decide to keep him out. Vermaelen and Mertesacker have also shown they are reliable even though they can switch off at times (Excluding this season, they've been awful apart from Mertesacker who's just been marginally better). As much as I would have liked us to sign Vertonghen, it would have meant pushing back one of those three and they likely would have been unhappy with that.

Erm not really. Koscielny was amazing last season and it would have been stupid for Wenger to decide to keep him out. Vermaelen and Mertesacker have also shown they are reliable even though they can switch off at times (Excluding this season, they've been awful apart from Mertesacker who's just been marginally better). As much as I would have liked us to sign Vertonghen, it would have meant pushing back one of those three and they likely would have been unhappy with that.

Mertesacker has been 'marginally better than awful' this season?

Just no.

Back