The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Okay it was clearly an exaggeration, it was mainly a dig at our shambolic defence as a whole this season.

There have been individual mistakes, sure, but I don't understand your definition of 'shambolic'. It's a fact that our goals conceded is the 4th best in the Premier League, if our defence is shambolic, I'm not sure what that makes almost every other team's.

There have been individual mistakes, sure, but I don't understand your definition of 'shambolic'. It's a fact that our goals conceded is the 4th best in the Premier League, if our defence is shambolic, I'm not sure what that makes almost every other team's.

Shambolic-er?

And I don't get your point. Other teams have been dreadful and they can defend how they like for all I care doesn't excuse our defence and a lot of soft goals conceded. We looked so solid in the first three games but have slowly regressed after that and if you don't think our defence has been shambolic then okay I don't think i can be bothered arguing if you think our defence has been good enough.

But the fact of the matter is, our defense still has conceded the 4th least goals in the league. To say our defense is shambolic is outrageous. Yes our defense makes silly mistakes at times but they aren't as bad as everyone on here is making them out to be. I mean you guys are acting like we have given up 3 goals a game all season.

And I don't get your point. Other teams have been dreadful and they can defend how they like for all I care doesn't excuse our defence and a lot of soft goals conceded. We looked so solid in the first three games but have slowly regressed after that and if you don't think our defence has been shambolic then okay I don't think i can be bothered arguing if you think our defence has been good enough.

The fact is, the defence has been good enough, if we've conceded the 4th least goals in the league, the issue is a lack of scoring. That's a fact, because winning games comes from scoring more goals than the opposition.

I'd love our defence to be even better than it is, but it isn't 'shambolic' at all.

Bradford City beat Aston Villa today in the Capital One Cup taking a 3-1 lead in the semifinal. I really hope they make the final.

The fact is, the defence has been good enough, if we've conceded the 4th least goals in the league, the issue is a lack of scoring. That's a fact, because winning games comes from scoring more goals than the opposition.

I'd love our defence to be even better than it is, but it isn't 'shambolic' at all.

It's only good enough when you compare it to other teams because other teams have been even worse. But paying no attention to other teams, if you think our defence has been good enough.....

It's only good enough when you compare it to other teams because other teams have been even worse. But paying no attention to other teams, if you think our defence has been good enough.....

It depends on your definition of good enough, good enough to win the league? No. Good enough to get top 4? Yes. That's a fact.

If we have the defensive record of a top 4, then the issue is the scoring of goals, if we then get the scoring record for top 4 and maintain it for the season, we're not going to finish below expectation. So at this stage, I would say the defending is in a better state than our attacking.

transfer rumors have completely stagnated.

That's either a really good sign

or a really bad one.

I wouldn't be shocked if we didn't buy anyone.

I'm surprised you thought for a moment we would. The squad is alright, but Wenger hates the January window so he won't bother. We could do with a few positions filled, but Wenger knows if he doesn't get a CL spot he'll be allowed to spend what he likes to get one back at the end of the season anyway.

It depends on your definition of good enough, good enough to win the league? No. Good enough to get top 4? Yes. That's a fact.

If we have the defensive record of a top 4, then the issue is the scoring of goals, if we then get the scoring record for top 4 and maintain it for the season, we're not going to finish below expectation. So at this stage, I would say the defending is in a better state than our attacking.

How is it a fact? Having the fourth best defence does NOT make you the fourth best team. Having the fourth best goal difference doesn't either, it's the number of points you accumulate throughout the season.

I'm surprised you thought for a moment we would. The squad is alright, but Wenger hates the January window so he won't bother. We could do with a few positions filled, but Wenger knows if he doesn't get a CL spot he'll be allowed to spend what he likes to get one back at the end of the season anyway.

Without Champions League money, he'll have even less to spend.

How is it a fact? Having the fourth best defence does NOT make you the fourth best team. Having the fourth best goal difference doesn't either, it's the number of points you accumulate throughout the season.

Which is why I said the issue is the scoring of goals, if you have the 4th best defensive record but are smashing goals in left, right and centre, then you will get the points, because as a result of not conceding and scoring, you will win games. I thought that was quite clear.

Which is why I said the issue is the scoring of goals, if you have the 4th best defensive record but are smashing goals in left, right and centre, then you will get the points, because as a result of not conceding and scoring, you will win games. I thought that was quite clear.

I'm not arguing that we have problems scoring goals, I'm arguing that we also have problems at the back but you seem to disagree with the second bit only because other teams are worse.

Yes, in theory; but at the moment he's supposed to have 100m to spend and isn't spending any of it.

Technically they said Wenger had 70m to spend in the winter AND summer transfer windows in 2013, so we don't have 100m to spend just right now. You know he is going to keep most if not all of that for the summer window as player values won't be so inflated like they usually are in the winter window.

I know it is still early in the window but I am a bit worried that once again we won't sign anyone in the winter window. Reports at the beginning of the window said Wenger was hoping to strengthen the squad in time for the run ins with City and Chelsea and so far we are nowhere close to signing anyone. The only thing that has been close was Walcott signing a new contract and even that in the past 24 hours has been rebuffed.

I haven't expected a new signing at all this window, it's just very un-Wenger like.

You've done half the job by selling us RVP, now beat City and move us even closer to the title? Ta.

Back