The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
we were, but we changed it about to try and alter it, and as things stand were looking up

we had one of the worst starts ever, yet we are now 7th, with added options and potentially more players coming in..

Personally think Arsenal need a fresh approach before they fall too far behind

A year ago I would've disagreed with you. Now though? I'm starting to be won over. Not by the constant losing. It's mostly we've had ages to sign players to add competition but nothing seems to have been done. There's a definite sense that the players aren't motivated in the slightest.

Nice to know that if it wasn't for a horrible call we should have been awarded a draw.

Chelsea had 64% of possession in the first half, while Arsenal had 65% in the second half..

It really does show you how the team didn't properly get off the bus for this one.

Defense played terrible, in particular Sagna.

Saw something last night about how Verm and Sagna were leading in errors, and that was certainly the case today.

good second half performance, but argg, another loss. got two derby games coming up now, must win games. !

Defense played terrible, in particular Sagna.

Saw something last night about how Verm and Sagna were leading in errors, and that was certainly the case today.

while sagna's counter part, ceasar apllizuta had a good game. i remember he was a wonderkid for the future few seasons ago when he was in spain.

My personal Opinion,

- no trophy in what 7 or 8 years
- now a selling club
- generally going down the league table each season
- may not even get 4th this season
- likely to be another trophyless season
- Let Nasri, Rvp, Fabregas go then offer Walcott 100k a week!
- Selling Rvp to United is suicide, at least sell abroad.. Wenger has admitted selling Rvp would win United the title so why do it?
- Worst ever start under Wenger

Wenger was an amazing manager, at least 5 years ago...

Like i said only my opinion, but you dont seem to be going forward at the minute

I said all these type of things maybe a year or 18 months ago, got absolutely battered on here. My opinion has only got stronger.

My personal Opinion,

- now a selling club
- Selling Rvp to United is suicide, at least sell abroad.. Wenger has admitted selling Rvp would win United the title so why do it?
While most of your points are very valid, the 'selling club' and 'let Nasri, van Persie and Fabregas go' isn't/wasn't all Wengers fault. Nasri and van Persie in particular the board over-ruled his decision to let them go for free. And you mention offering Walcott 100k, if Wenger had allowed him to go everyone would be adding it to the list of players who have left but now he is getting stick for giving Walcott a larger contract (which at some clubs is what bench players are getting). He can't win sometimes.

My personal Opinion,

- now a selling club

Wenger was an amazing manager, at least 5 years ago...

Like i said only my opinion, but you dont seem to be going forward at the minute

- Win ratio of 57.7%, higher than any other Arsenal manager including Herbert Chapman (49.9%) & George Graham (48.9%)
- Arsenal's lngest serving manager surpassing George Allison's 13 years by more than 3 years in an era of managerial merry-go-rounds
- More major trophies than any other Arsenal manager (11 in 16 years at the club)
- Arsenal have scored more goals under his stewardship (nearly twice as many as the next manager)
- Qualified for CL football for 12 consecutive seasons with limited funds
- Qualified through the group stages of the CL in each season
- Remarkable net spend of £48m under Wenger (figures 08/11)
- Oversaw major stadium move while still qualifying for CL football
- Revolutionised football management with new dietary and fitness methods

IMO Wenger has overachieved with the resources at his disposal, and as a consequence is a victim of his own success. It's fair to say that he has built a decent squad that has a lot of potential but they are still very raw and inconsistent. Stick with Wenger, changing manager at this stage of the season isn't the answer.

- Win ratio of 57.7%, higher than any other Arsenal manager including Herbert Chapman (49.9%) & George Graham (48.9%)
- Arsenal's lngest serving manager surpassing George Allison's 13 years by more than 3 years in an era of managerial merry-go-rounds
- More major trophies than any other Arsenal manager (11 in 16 years at the club)
- Arsenal have scored more goals under his stewardship (nearly twice as many as the next manager)

IMO Wenger has overachieved with the resources at his disposal, and as a consequence is a victim of his own success. It's fair to say that he has built a decent squad that has a lot of potential but they are still very raw and inconsistent. Stick with Wenger, changing manager at this stage of the season isn't the answer.

Might keep this post saved for when I'm involved in an argument regarding Wenger in future. You've hit the nail on the head, he is most certainly a victim of his own success.

On another note, I'd love it if we were capable of playing the same way in the first half of games as we have been in the 2nd half this season, the only exception to a flat, slow 1st half has been the Reading game I think.

According to The Telegraph, Mapou Yanga Mbiwa failed to arrive at St James Park for a scheduled medical. The same report says the player may be holding out for a bigger move after reports claim Arsenal are interested.

According to The Telegraph, Mapou Yanga Mbiwa failed to arrive at St James Park for a scheduled medical. The same report says the player may be holding out for a bigger move after reports claim Arsenal are interested.

I'll totally sympathize with Pardew if that proves to be true.

I don't think it is true, I am pretty sure it is just the weather, that is what Newcastle is saying after all. That or it could be true and they are very worried.

Raw stats aside, Wenger made Arsenal into unique brand, to lose him would be to lose your entire idenity, you might be surprised how negatively it could backfire onto club's reputation. If there's new guy who suddenly starts buying estabilished players over 30 and tries to grind 1-0 wins playing long-ball and defending with 10 people, a lot of 'Wenger era' fans would be dissapointed.

And at the 'world class manager' level there's not many guys who can work in similar style, in fact, there's only one and he got signed by Bayern.

I don't see why any of this makes him untouchable. He is the best manager we've ever had and I do think we should stick with him but a lot of people think this makes him immune to criticism even though he does a lot of suspect things like playing Ramsey and Bendtner out wide.

Arsene was ahead of his time, 15 years ago.. But the rest have caught him up now and it doesn't seem he has anything left to offer. Honestly think it's time for a change, not just for Arsenal but for Wenger, too.

I don't understand why Arsene is letting all these former transfer targets slip by. 4-5 months of watching them more, and all of a sudden they aren't "top, top" quality. What's going on at AFC is just completely incomprehensible. All we can do is cross our fingers and hope we make Champions League with what we've got.

I don't understand why Arsene is letting all these former transfer targets slip by. 4-5 months of watching them more, and all of a sudden they aren't "top, top" quality. What's going on at AFC is just completely incomprehensible. All we can do is cross our fingers and hope we make Champions League with what we've got.

Put quite simply, Arsenal don't actually have any money in the bank. Well, they clearly do, but despite what the PR keep saying, they will not spend it.

Last seasons sales of RvP (£24m) & Song (£15m) funded the new arrivals of Giroud (£12m), Podolski (£10m) and Cazorla (£12m). The only reason Song was sold, was to balance the books following the arrival of Cazorla. We will not sign anyone this window unless someone leaves for the same price as any potential arrival.

It's becoming more and more obvious to myself, that Arsenal are just an over-achieving version of Everton essentially.

Back