The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
*fist in air*

and at dlau...New sponsorship deal, emirates have pledged to advance us the money this window to help make signings.

So Wenger came out and said don't expect any January signings and ranted against the winter transfer window in general. Well, to be honest I wasn't expecting any January signings until Wenger said he was going to be "very active in the transfer market." In the mean time, everybody Arsenal has been linked with has resigned contracts or been snapped up by other clubs. Hunteleaar, Llorente, M'Villa, Sissokho, Zaha, etc, are all gone. I'd hate to be the scouting crew and have to go back to square 1, especially since Wenger doesn't feel like the squad could use any strengthening at all. I predict not a lot to happen this summer either.

- Win ratio of 57.7%, higher than any other Arsenal manager including Herbert Chapman (49.9%) & George Graham (48.9%)
- Arsenal's lngest serving manager surpassing George Allison's 13 years by more than 3 years in an era of managerial merry-go-rounds
- More major trophies than any other Arsenal manager (11 in 16 years at the club)
- Arsenal have scored more goals under his stewardship (nearly twice as many as the next manager)
- Qualified for CL football for 12 consecutive seasons with limited funds
- Qualified through the group stages of the CL in each season
- Remarkable net spend of £48m under Wenger (figures 08/11)
- Oversaw major stadium move while still qualifying for CL football
- Revolutionised football management with new dietary and fitness methods

IMO Wenger has overachieved with the resources at his disposal, and as a consequence is a victim of his own success. It's fair to say that he has built a decent squad that has a lot of potential but they are still very raw and inconsistent. Stick with Wenger, changing manager at this stage of the season isn't the answer.

That's 11 trophies in 9 years if you don't count the last 7.

1 reason to sack Wenger - His win % in cup finals in the last 7 years is 0%

As you said, one reason.

There's reasons to sack him, there's more to not sack him.

Pleased with the win against Brighton, with Luton beating Norwich and MK Dons spanking QPR, anything can happen in the cup. On to the next round lads!

I always see you making the same point of sacking Wenger. But honestly who would be a better option who would do the following:

1. Actually come to Arsenal
2. Do a better job than Wenger on the pitch and off it
3. Maintain Youth Development

Well, who do you think could do a better job?

I always see you making the same point of sacking Wenger. But honestly who would be a better option who would do the following:

I'm not sure he would come to Arsenal but I would love to see Jurgen Klopp manage us. He has done so well at Dortmund and if we could somehow get him I think he could be as good if not better then Wenger is for us.

I'm not sure he would come to Arsenal but I would love to see Jurgen Klopp manage us. He has done so well at Dortmund and if we could somehow get him I think he could be as good if not better then Wenger is for us.

That's a fine choice actually and he'd definitely carry on Wenger's work, even improve upon it in time. Would he abandon his comfort zone in Dortmund to go to Arsenal? Maybe, maybe not. Still you shouldn't sack Wenger imo.

I agree we shouldn't sack Wenger right now. I think we should let his contract run out at the end of next season and go from there in all honesty.

We've had Moyes in charge for 500 games, developed players just as well, haven't won a title, qualified for Europe, not won any trophies at all though we have made finals, had strong squads full of potential-like Arsenal and we're in a far more serious financial situation- and we haven't sacked him. Yeah there's been ignorant fans saying he should go-but their not real fans anyway. Why should Wenger be sacked? He's made the club financially very very strong, developed players too and brought in some great talent and in some cases made them even better. It would just be non-sensical.

Just after he signed for Bayern, Pep Guardiola said he would have been very interested in Arsenal but was never offered the job. He fits those 3. Another would be Moyes he is ****** off at the lack of transfer funds he is getting. Anchelloti, Scolari, Hiddink.

Pep needs more experience outside of Barca. He is still relatively raw as in never managed outside a mega rich club able to bring world class talent season after season and produce it season after season. Germany is a good place to hone his skills outside of that. But he is undoubtedly going to be a great manager I think. Premier league is a totally different kettle of fish and he's not ready just yet

And Hiddink is retiring end of the season

Last edited:
Just after he signed for Bayern, Pep Guardiola said he would have been very interested in Arsenal but was never offered the job. He fits those 3. Another would be Moyes he is ****** off at the lack of transfer funds he is getting. Anchelloti, Scolari, Hiddink.

Ancelotti is a quality manager, but our team won't suit his style IMO which means he'd have to spend big on multiple players which is a change that we don't really need to go through right now. One or two quality additions are welcome, but there's a limit to what we should be encouraging with our transfers.

Scolari? Pfft, he said a BETTER job than Wenger.

Zola at Watford would be a good appointment but theres no chance he is leaving WFC. Not for Arsenal and not for anyone

Redrup, What about Guardiola?

I quite like Guardiola, but I would rather he built up more experience with another team other than Barcelona before offering him the Arsenal job personally.

Someone mentioned Klopp earlier, that's an appointment I could get on board with, but not sacking Wenger, only following his retirement/decision to leave.

Back