The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
I saw a stat during the game that in 5 minutes we had 95% of the percentage. Having watched the replay we played amazing. Gervinho was dangerous everytime we made a run. Good to see Giroud scoring, probably should have had a 2nd penalty earlier on but we didn't need it.

Great win yesterday, unfortunately we will be without Mertesacker due to his red card. Up to 4th with a game in hand over Spurs who play Everton today. Hope Everton can get some points at The Lane.

Great game yesterday! A ton of determination and the players are looking confident playing with each other. Mertesacker was pretty cheeky about falling on the ball yesterday to prevent a scoring chance.

I get a feeling that Podolski is going to be sold to Juventus. He doesn't always track back in defense and doesn't support the attack much from the wing. I think he wants to play up front and we aren't giving him the option. We are now playing Cazorla in his place (we won't sell him) which suggests we may look at bringing in an isco/gotze character to play AMC (rosicky simply won't be fit for an entire season).

I'd love to see Isco playing for Arsenal, massive fan of his, brilliant skills, low centre of gravity and can thread a pass.

[video=youtube;rw2QlcZ3tSg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw2QlcZ3tSg[/video]

Cazorla, Isco, Wilshere & Walcott would be fantasy football, especially if the Jovetic rumours have something to them in front of them. Realistically though, you'd need a midfield enforcer with those guys in the side to shut down counter attacks, and spending that sort of money (Isco, Jovetic & a quality DM) isn't something I can see us doing, new sponsorship or not.

I'd be glad to see the back of Podolski though, don't think he adds much to the side and is on high wages. Perhaps give him a second season, but even then it's hard to see him being worth the £18m plus around 100k/wk wages he's on.

The bigger problem is offloading all the **** players, in total we've spent around £100m over four years on their contracts plus the £20-30m it took the buy them. No chance of being a truly top side if your backup strikers are Bendtner, Park & Chamakh who are all out on loan anyway.

dang, we were so close to 3rd place just now, but everton leaked a late goal. Sorry, the table I looked at wasn't updated, but **** close to 3rd. Chelsea just tied it up as well...

I think I'd prefer Isco at this point over Gotze, he is cheaper and would fit into our squad better, plus he and cazorla (whom he could learn from) can rotate from leftwing/center.

So lets say 14 million for Isco, 8 million for Capoue, 20 million for Jovetic, 16 million for GK + defender. 58 million total out of our what, 70 million? Then maybe make 10 million in player sales? Significantly strengthen our team without breaking our bank.

Last edited:
I'd say 14m for Isco is incredibly low. He's just signed a new contract to preserve his value. I'd say more like 20-25m at a minimum given he's a top player, though we do have a good relationship with Malaga and have Cazorla and Monreal to keep him company. We keep hearing the summer transfer budget is looking at 70m (then again, deja vu anyone?). Bigger problem is preserving the CL place which is by no means guaranteed. Though there's certainly a psychological advantage to pushing for 3rd place as part of that and being the best of the non-Manchester clubs.

Can't see us picking up a new GK though, and a lot of that relies on selling players and they'd need to be significantly marked down & likely take a pay cut at their next club.

70m sadly isn't really that much if you include contracts and agent fees. Especially since you've been sitting on the cash for far too long, Arsenal doesn't have the kind of pull it once had, so it will take a lot of extra suggar to attract quality players.

Does he not have like a 17m release clause? Or did he just sign a new contract that raised it?

Apparently its 35m now.

Had it been 17, someone would certainly come gunning for him in January window. ;)

Everton doing a good job at the Lane today. It is officially in our hands now whether we finish in the CL spots or not.

RE: Signings - I don't really want to sign a new GK if I'm honest, but a real DM is essential.

Real Betis news is good. Campbell has played quite a lot there this season and hopefully we offer him extension in summer and then let him spent another year in Spain, otherwise I can see him leaving on free after next season. I think Miquel, Eisfeld and Ryo could join him there. Maybe also Bellerin from what I've heard.

Well, that was a bit of a gift. Not sure we deserved to turn it around, Norwich frustrated well with their 3 DMs in front of their defence. Still, at this point I'll take this bit of luck, as the Everton game coming up may be a tough one for us. Yes we hit the bar twice, but had a couple of good chance in the first half and Gervinho really does need to look up..

Third goal worth a watch mind you.

Real Betis news is good. Campbell has played quite a lot there this season and hopefully we offer him extension in summer and then let him spent another year in Spain, otherwise I can see him leaving on free after next season. I think Miquel, Eisfeld and Ryo could join him there. Maybe also Bellerin from what I've heard.

Campbell's been a bit average for them though, only scored twice.

Sigh, Man United are going to win the League at the Emirates.

Campbell's been a bit average for them though, only scored twice.

Yeah I know, but still gotten quite a lot match experience which is good compared to what some of our players have gotten in past.

Back