The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
And im not quite sure why Fabregas would want to take such a massive step back in his career when almost every other top club would want him.

Well that wasent my reasoning but looks like FM have got it right on this one. Doesnt matter what clauses you have he wont go back because it would cost you at the very least £35million. And I think we both know Wenger wont spend that type of money.

EDIT: You have first refusal but not a "if you offer x we have to accept" clause.

I dont either believe in those rumours. He might come back at some point, but not now. IF he went anywhere now it would most likely be to Bayern to play for Pep.

Wenger will spent that kind of money if he things the player is right and Fabregas would be pretty high on list of right players.

And im not quite sure why Fabregas would want to take such a massive step back in his career when almost every other top club would want him.

Because his biggest regret in life is that he didn't win a trophy as Arsenal captain and Wenger.

RVP was a huge gamble by United, how on earth did you think player his class could have been so cheap?

29 y.o. and history of injuries as long as my leg will do that.

RVP was a huge gamble by United, how on earth did you think player his class could have been so cheap?

29 y.o. and history of injuries as long as my leg will do that.

He had 1 year left. Arsenal aren't exactly famed for their negotiating prowess.

Because his biggest regret in life is that he didn't win a trophy as Arsenal captain and Wenger.
So he would be prepared to take a massive step back and a massive pay cut just to win a trophy with Arsenal? I dont think so. That squad is not even good enough to win the league cup.

So he would be prepared to take a massive step back and a massive pay cut just to win a trophy with Arsenal? I dont think so. That squad is not even good enough to win the league cup.

Actually he took wage cut to join Barcelona before. You'd better get your reading glasses on as I've said I don't think he'd go now, but perhaps sometime in future.

Also squad is good enough for trophy. Only thing needed is bit more consistency and less individual mistakes which have haunted us this season. Our squad cant be too bad if we are on par with United for last 10 games on points. Even goal difference is almost same. On last 20 we fall bit behind, but are still 2nd best in Prem. Without our start of season blip we'd be challenging City for 2nd place.

If we didn't start the season so badly we honestly would be challenging for the title. Cesc has already stated he would only leave Barca to go back to Arsenal. He loves the club. However I highly doubt he will leave Barca after just two seasons. I'd say he will see out his current contract and if he is still not playing as much as he should he might consider a return to Arsenal.

Where else could cesc go to get consistent playing time and good wages that could also afford to buy him?

Also cesc's newborn is in London with his baby momma.

Add in his affinity for the gunners, wenger, our style of play, the quality of the league, the number of spaniards on our team, our discounted price we would have to be at least a top 5 team be favored to sign him if he left Barca.

Meh, it could happen. Nobody knows what will happen in the football world anymore.

Apparently Jovetic deal progressing at a good rate. Only rumours, but everything is until it's officially stated. Something to look forward to.

I heard that the Jovetic deal is pretty much a done deal just relying on if we get Champions League football next season. Again just speculation though. I will be thrilled with that signing if it is true. Also Rene Adler is being heavily linked with us.

Where else could cesc go to get consistent playing time and good wages that could also afford to buy him?

Also cesc's newborn is in London with his baby momma.

Add in his affinity for the gunners, wenger, our style of play, the quality of the league, the number of spaniards on our team, our discounted price we would have to be at least a top 5 team be favored to sign him if he left Barca.

Add on to that the fact that in a relatively recent interview he said himself: 'If the situation was to come that I left Barca, the first thing I would look into is a move back to Arsenal'.

I think it's clear that we have more than a decent chance of re-signing him if and when he does leave.

It all well and good him wanting to go back but will Arsen spend £35million+ on him? He wouldnt spend that on anyone. We know he is under pressure to make money because thats what the shareholders want, to make money.

It all well and good him wanting to go back but will Arsen spend £35million+ on him? He wouldnt spend that on anyone. We know he is under pressure to make money because thats what the shareholders want, to make money.

35mil is peanuts for us now.

Actually he took wage cut to join Barcelona before. You'd better get your reading glasses on as I've said I don't think he'd go now, but perhaps sometime in future.

Also squad is good enough for trophy. Only thing needed is bit more consistency and less individual mistakes which have haunted us this season. Our squad cant be too bad if we are on par with United for last 10 games on points. Even goal difference is almost same. On last 20 we fall bit behind, but are still 2nd best in Prem. Without our start of season blip we'd be challenging City for 2nd place.

If we didn't start the season so badly we honestly would be challenging for the title. Cesc has already stated he would only leave Barca to go back to Arsenal. He loves the club. However I highly doubt he will leave Barca after just two seasons. I'd say he will see out his current contract and if he is still not playing as much as he should he might consider a return to Arsenal.
It's all good to say that if you didn't start the season so badly you'd be challenging City, but the fact is you did start badly. Teams are judged on what they might​'ve achieved if they did something, but what they actually did. The fact that you started the season badly says something about Arsenal.

However, I am not slating the club, although I don't support Arsenal, I like the club's philosophy and the club itself. I'm just saying that they're not point saying 'if this happened...'. If City had won all their games they would be running away the league right now!

But that's not the point. It's not whether or not you have the money, you pretty much always have been fairly rich. It's about whether Wenger will change his philosophy to splash out £35 million on a single player (who's world class and a club legend, I'll grant you that), who may not be that young anymore if and when he signs for you.

Jovetić and Adler are both top class players, and would be great additions to any club, but do Arsenal really need them? Szczęsny is a class keeper, who has perhaps been a little out-of-form recently, and is still young. Giroud, Walcott, Podolski, Gervinho (although he's possibly better on the wing) and Bendtner (out on loan) are all capable of doing the job up front.

I'm not one of the people who claims Wenger never spends, but he's certainly an economist, and I'm sure he'll be wondering whether £35 million is good value.

Jovetić and Adler are both top class players, and would be great additions to any club, but do Arsenal really need them? Szczęsny is a class keeper, who has perhaps been a little out-of-form recently, and is still young. Giroud, Walcott, Podolski, Gervinho (although he's possibly better on the wing) and Bendtner (out on loan) are all capable of doing the job up front.

Our current #1 Fabianski's contract ends this summer. Also Vito Mannone is up for sale so that leaves us with 1 goalkeeper who's Szczesny so we definately need new goalkeeper.

Bendtner won't play for us anymore. Gervinho might also leave this summer. AW doesn't trust Poldi or Theo upfront on their own so that leaves us with only 1 striker Giroud so we definately need Jovetic or another new forward.

Our players are capable of doing the job for this level, but if we aim to improve we need new players.

I'm not one of the people who claims Wenger never spends, but he's certainly an economist, and I'm sure he'll be wondering whether £35 million is good value.

We might not need to pay that much if we sign him. It's bit same when he went to Barca as eventhough there was competition he wanted only Barca and if he'd go we'd be top of the list and I think only competition might be Bayern if Pep was still there.

But if theres' one player for whom Wenger would break transfer record I think it would be Cesc.

Where does 35m come from anyway. It just seems like pulled out of the ***. He left to Barca still young player, do you expect to buy him back at the same price, world class midifielder at his peak,after winning couple of trophies and proved succesful in a better club?

That, and Wenger should have really gone shopping last window, because this summer 70m is literally going to be peanuts with all the usual heavy spenders joined by Dortmund , Juve, Arsenal , propably another crazy window by PSG and the russian clubs that burn more and more cash every year.

Wenger never seems to shop in January.

I don't think it is much of a problem provided the deals are done early and it's done on the proviso of CL football. That itself should be the 'draw', the contracts are never going to be PSG/Russian level at AFC anyway so the players who want that arn't going to sign.

It is more about getting the best player for the position early (Ferguson style), get them training throughout the summer with the team and actually get into the start of the next season without the last minute transfer bs to save a couple of million.

Also agree with Tyton, why would be sign? Perhaps in his early 30s he might come back, but I see it a little like Henry. His contract is vast at Barca right now and he's an important player within the team, only more so as Xavi gets older and more injury prone - why put that aside to rejoin Arsenal? His agent will probably have a few words with him if he starts going down that road as Barca is definitely the meal ticket.

I'd love to see him back in an Arsenal shirt, but why not just sign someone new who wants to play for us, who we'll get good years out of, and who can offer strength to the team (winning instinct and physicality). Cesc is skilled, sure, but he's yet another midget. We need a bit of strength to start to pressure opposing teams, help us out when we look vulnerable. Watching Bayern and Dortmund play, yes they both have fantastic attacking combinations, but more importantly they're supported by able, physical and intelligent defensive players. A couple more of those and I'll be happy.. Jovetic? Who knows, I think he'd be better than Giroud.. but we need to start losing some of the **** players at the club, our wage bill is massive as we can't get anybody back outside the door again as they're just on too much money.

Last edited:
Back