The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
not many!

Yeap. First players who come to my mind are Pogba and Wanyama. Pogba would cost us close to what Fellaini would and isn't as experienced. Wanyama more of a "bargain" buy, but would still be quality player for us I have no doubt.

Let's do some fuzzy math.

Higuain-20m
Fellaini-22m
EPL Keeper (cesar/mignolet etc..) 8m?
Ashley Williams-10m

Thats 60m out of 70 right there (board may allow up to 100, but I think that's if and only if we are strongly looking at rooney caliber player)

Add in another random 5-8m dollar signing....is that going to be enough to push us to a top 2 finish or semi finals at champions league?

Higuain-20m
Fellaini-22m
Ashley Williams-10m

Thats 60m out of 70 right there (board may allow up to 100, but I think that's if and only if we are strongly looking at rooney caliber player)

Add in another random 5-8m dollar signing....is that going to be enough to push us to a top 2 finish or semi finals at champions league?

I actually doubt we are signing new CB like Williams unless Vermaelen is also sold. More likely some youngster like Ginter from Freiburg who can also play as DM as our 4th choice.

But yes I think we can. This isn't overly many new signings who could distrupt the team. Others will also improve and it will be tough.

Some outgoing news:
- Djourou in talks with Hannover over permanent switch there.
- Bendtner has offers from 5-6 clubs and will make decision in few weeks. Permanent transfer.
- Chamakh has been offered to Bordeaux on free. Only year left in his contract and we'll see if he prefers football over salary.
- There's also interest in Gervinho from Marseille and Galatasaray.

These 4 would free somewhere close to 200k a week in wages alone and especially if that Galatasaray 12m offer for Gervinho is true we could coup somewhere around 20m in fees aswell.

Additionally Arshavin, Denilson & Squillaci have been released, so roughly 160k a week (8.3m a year) from that lot.

I wasn't thinking so much about team chemistry with new signings, but just overall strengthening of the team.

Would spending close to 70 million on 4-5 players be enough to propel us to a trophy?

Premier League or Champions League? No. FA Cup or Capital One Cup? Yes. 4-5 players don't make a squad. Our whole team needs to play well.

It's funny because we have been linked to players for EVERY position. I seen on facebook make a full XI of just some of the people we have been linked to.

I wasn't thinking so much about team chemistry with new signings, but just overall strengthening of the team.

Would spending close to 70 million on 4-5 players be enough to propel us to a trophy?
In 90% of time, bench wins you a league, not starting 11.

Higuain-20m
Fellaini-22m
Ashley Williams-10m

Why do you need to waste money on a new keeper? You conceded the second least amount of goals of any club. You need to concentrate on re-building the midfield, and bringing a striker in who isn't Chamakh or Bendtner, somebody who will actually compete/ play alongside Giroud.

In 90% of time, bench wins you a league, not starting 11.

He said "a trophy" ... I don't think they're quite aiming to win the league just yet.

I believe Fabianski is out of contract and Mannone is not a back up that would push Woj to be even better. He needs some competition for the starting spot.

I believe Fabianski is out of contract and Mannone is not a back up that would push Woj to be even better. He needs some competition for the starting spot.

What's wrong with Mannone? I think he's pretty good. Do you really think the likes of Cesar/ Begovic/ or Mignolet are going to join Arsenal to sit on the bench when there are teams in England and Europe who would take them as number 1.

You should have signed Stekelenburg.

Why do you need to waste money on a new keeper? You conceded the second least amount of goals of any club. You need to concentrate on re-building the midfield, and bringing a striker in who isn't Chamakh or Bendtner, somebody who will actually compete/ play alongside Giroud.

He said "a trophy" ... I don't think they're quite aiming to win the league just yet.
Nonetheless, it's a truth.

What's wrong with Mannone? I think he's pretty good. Do you really think the likes of Cesar/ Begovic/ or Mignolet are going to join Arsenal to sit on the bench when there are teams in England and Europe who would take them as number 1.

You should have signed Stekelenburg.

Mannone is also looking to leave this summer from what I've heard. Both him and Fabianski have 1-year left on their deals and have some interest from clubs.

Szczesny isn't exactly established as our #1 so joining us would be good option for either of those 3. Can't remember any European side which is looking for a new #1 keeper except Barcelona if they sell Valdes and they are going for ter Stegen.

I agree Stekelenburg would've been good choice.

End of season Q&A going on with Gazidis. If anyone wants to see what's going on check out fkhanage / DarrenArsenal1 on twitter.

I didn't get that impression at all.

If anything it felt like Gazidis finally opened up to the fans and was blunt and cautiously optimistic.

It sounded like Wenger has near full control over signings and that he trusts Wenger to make the right purchase regardless of fee.

In years past, Wenger had to make the right purchase, for the right price. I'm sure if he found a bargain like Cazorla again, he'd take it, but he won't be wishing on a star for that opportunity like he was the last couple years.

edit: The transfer rumors are getting frustrating, just read an article about how Real Madrid want to sign Jovetic. No source, no quotes, no nothing. All this despite Real stating they don't need a striker (which is why Higuain is leaving) and that they are in a transfer embargo of sorts until they find their new manager. Blatant lies to feed on transfer doom and gloom for ad revenue.

Last edited:
Jovetic seems to prefer Juventus to us anyways right now. Higuain is the closest to signing for us but even heard reports he has agreed terms with Juventus. I really want to be wrong on my assumption but imo it seemed like Gazidis just said those things because if he didn't there would be a huge uproar.

What are they going to say at the end of the window if we don't sign any top players? They basically ruled out all their excuses.

I didn't get that impression at all.

If anything it felt like Gazidis finally opened up to the fans and was blunt and cautiously optimistic.

It sounded like Wenger has near full control over signings and that he trusts Wenger to make the right purchase regardless of fee.

In years past, Wenger had to make the right purchase, for the right price. I'm sure if he found a bargain like Cazorla again, he'd take it, but he won't be wishing on a star for that opportunity like he was the last couple years.

edit: The transfer rumors are getting frustrating, just read an article about how Real Madrid want to sign Jovetic. No source, no quotes, no nothing. All this despite Real stating they don't need a striker (which is why Higuain is leaving) and that they are in a transfer embargo of sorts until they find their new manager. Blatant lies to feed on transfer doom and gloom for ad revenue.

They aren'r rumours. Everyone is playing everyone off, because they all have 1st 2nd and 3rd targets etc. They are also reliing on other business to happen.

Juve don't want to overpay on Jovetic so they stalk Higuain. Madrid have loads of targets, but Perez cannot finalise them without know who his manager is just yet. Doesnt stop them from negotiating. Also Jovetic is happy withdrawn and on the left.

Transfers just don't work like they do in Football Manager.

Imo we have more of a chance of buying Rooney than we do Higuain or Jovetic.

Back