The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Grab Bernard...get rid of Gervinho.

Have Ryo backup on the wing

Sanogo/Akpom on bench for ST

Zelalem? Send on Loan (where?) or reserve player (rosicky is doing excellent atm)

So what exactly are our needs?

Top quality striker, otherwise I doubt we spend money on any average joe.

A defensive minded midfielder (I'm starting to believe Wenger is phasing out the DM in his philsophy).

A CB, although Iggy may be in position to backup.

GK isn't as big of a need IMO as some make it out to be. Nabbing Cesar for cheap would have been a no brainer, but doesn't look like it will be cheap!

We've got a lot of young players on the cusp on stepping up to fill voids and we have a very cohesive and talented group of starters right now. I think this Asia tour has opened Wengers eyes that he doesn't have as many holes to fill as first thought.

So let's say we spend 35-40m this year(Wenger has stated that the market is bare)...that leaves a lot in reserve for next summer, who do you think will be available then?

haha... height doesn't matter that much on offensive players.

I totally agree, I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek. I love Carzorla and would love seeing another fast, technical munchkin wrecking havoc on the opposition.

Zelalem? Send on Loan (where?) or reserve player (rosicky is doing excellent atm)

A defensive minded midfielder (I'm starting to believe Wenger is phasing out the DM in his philsophy).

GK isn't as big of a need IMO as some make it out to be. Nabbing Cesar for cheap would have been a no brainer, but doesn't look like it will be cheap!

We've got a lot of young players on the cusp on stepping up to fill voids and we have a very cohesive and talented group of starters right now. I think this Asia tour has opened Wengers eyes that he doesn't have as many holes to fill as first thought.

So let's say we spend 35-40m this year(Wenger has stated that the market is bare)...that leaves a lot in reserve for next summer, who do you think will be available then?

Yeah, I think it's still important to bring in a quality ST and GK to make players compete for the position, also more cover at CB and for Arteta and Ramsey.

I think we will be spending at least 60m this summer and that leaves us with enought to spend on couple summers after that + increase in commercial income. I think GK isn't most crucial position to fill now if Fabianski stays. Then we need to take a look at either CB or RB for cover depending on if we will use Sagna as CB more this season. Bellerin isn't ready yet to be 2nd choice RB.

Who will be available next summer? Cesc could be.

Martin Charquero the uruguayian journalist who did the Luis Suarez interview couple weeks ago and broke the Cavani to PSG transfer has said that Suarez is close to Arsenal. We will see about this in couple days as we are on tight schedule because of Higuain.

We definitely need another CB, no point in playing Sagna out of position when his contract runs out next summer anyways. I say get Ashley Williams, Suarez and a DM and we will be fine. A player I believe we should go for but won't is definitely El Sharaawy. He would be the best person to replace Gervinho.

We definitely need another CB, no point in playing Sagna out of position when his contract runs out next summer anyways. I say get Ashley Williams, Suarez and a DM and we will be fine. A player I believe we should go for but won't is definitely El Sharaawy. He would be the best person to replace Gervinho.

I think if he became available then Wenger would go for him - he publicly declared an interest in him and said that he liked him around January (Might of been November). But now Milan are alot stronger and have sorted out their financial problems they have no reason to sell him :(

El Shaarawy doesn't want to leave Milan, there were big bids for him this summer, but he rejected all the contracts.

Sagna has been quite good when played at CB and I'd rather use him as 4th choice CB than use 10m on Williams.

If Sagna is used as a 4th choice CB then we would be short at RB. Milan rejected the bids though he didn't reject the contracts. I understand it won't happen but that would be my ideal replacement for Gervinho.

Couple sources claiming we will submit a 40m bid for Suarez in the next 48 hours. Imo it will get accepted. Sources also claiming Bernard will be announced on Friday. Not sure I believe that last one. With Giroud's pre-season form so far though I really would love to see us sign Suarez even though he will have to serve a 6 game ban.

If Sagna is used as a 4th choice CB then we would be short at RB. Milan rejected the bids though he didn't reject the contracts. I understand it won't happen but that would be my ideal replacement for Gervinho.

They allowed El Shaarawy and his agent to talk to clubs after some considerable offers according to Galliani. El Shaarawy said to Galliani he doesn't want to leave Milan and after that Milan said he isn't for sale.

He is good player, but for that kind of money I'd first go for Reus rather than El Shaarawy.

Couple sources claiming we will submit a 40m bid for Suarez in the next 48 hours. Imo it will get accepted. Sources also claiming Bernard will be announced on Friday. Not sure I believe that last one. With Giroud's pre-season form so far though I really would love to see us sign Suarez even though he will have to serve a 6 game ban.

If Liverpool accept we get Suarez if they don't we will abandon the chase I believe and go for Higuain. I also think they will accept rather than hope Suarez wont be unhappy OR Real Madrid will come for him later in the transfer window.

Mineiro have big game coming up tomorrow and they don't want Bernard transfer to overshadow the game that's why there's no confirmation on the transfer and that's why Wenger rejected the transfer on press conference. I believe Mineiro will confirm the transfer after the game on wednesday or on thursday. I think Bernard will be great signing for us and well he rejected Spurs earlier this summer ;)...

I've also been happy about Giroud's form. You can talk all you want about quality of our opponents, but every one of Giroud's goals has been class. Also been happy about Ramsey's form on tour along with obvious Zelalem.

Agreed, I don't care who the opponents were if you look back at last season's pre-season we struggled. This season we look focused and ready for the new season.

Personally, I'd rather have Higuaín than Suarez. Yes, Suarez was the second top goalscorer in the Premier League last season, but his attitude is a big concern for me. Higuaín is more than capable in front of goal, and is the cheaper option. But, I have also been impressed by Giroud's form in the Asia tour. What's his total now, six? And Gideon Zelalem looks fantastic for a sixteen year old. Some of the passes he's been making, you'd think he's been in the game for years.

It seems we aren't willing to pay 35m for Higuain but we are willing to pay 40m for Suarez. Seems Wenger just prefers Suarez over Higuain. I personally would rather have Suarez because not only can he play up front but he could play out on the wings and drift in as well.

Back