The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
There is a story here, and a bid, but the story is embargoed (till tomorrow i think) so I would wait then for the details

Yea I doubt anything major will happen before next week at least.

Arsenal have failed in their latest attempt to sign Luis Suárez despite making an extraordinary offer of £40,000,001 that they had hoped would force Liverpool to sell the Uruguay forward.

The eye-catching figure was formulated by Suárez’s agent, Pere Guardiola, who believed that Liverpool would have to allow his client to leave in the event of any interested party offering in excess of £40 million.

Liverpool have always held a different interpretation of the relevant clause in the former Ajax player’s contract, however, insisting that they need only to consider such a offer, and their conviction that is the case resulted in a swift rejection of Arsenal’s latest bid.

Liverpool officials were bemused by the nature of Arsenal’s latest attempt to acquire Suárez, particularly after Ian Ayre, the Anfield club’s managing director, informed Ivan Gazidis, the Arsenal chief executive, over a fortnight ago that £40 million would not be enough to buy the 26-year-old regardless of whatever encouragement Guardiola was offering them.

That came in the immediate aftermath of Arsenal’s initial £30 million offer, which they claimed would be their first and only bid. Arsène Wenger’s growing belief that Suárez is willing to join Arsenal, however, encouraged the North London club to submit an improved offer. After Liverpool also gave that proposal short shrift, they will have to decide whether or not to continue their pursuit.

In keeping with their own analysis of Suárez’s contract, Liverpool will inform the player of Arsenal’s latest offer after their pre-season friendly against Melbourne Victory today.

Echo ( probably the most reliable source for Liverpool ) reporting it would take a 50million offer and a written transfer request from Suarez for him to move to any club

Just cannot see Arsenal paying 50million, i mean their record transfers is 16.5million is it not?

Yeah, but we've been paying off the stadium, so now we finally get to spend some dosh as we've signed new deals too, so it's a massive boost.

As to if we'll blow 50m on Suarez.. tbh I hope we have more than one target and strengthen the midfield too.. but assuming that I'd love to see the crazy ****** scoring in an Arsenal shirt..although I doubt I'll ever like the man, the issues are too entrenched atm..

Arsenal have failed in their latest attempt to sign Luis Suárez despite making an extraordinary offer of £40,000,001 that they had hoped would force Liverpool to sell the Uruguay forward.

The eye-catching figure was formulated by Suárez’s agent, Pere Guardiola, who believed that Liverpool would have to allow his client to leave in the event of any interested party offering in excess of £40 million.

Liverpool have always held a different interpretation of the relevant clause in the former Ajax player’s contract, however, insisting that they need only to consider such a offer, and their conviction that is the case resulted in a swift rejection of Arsenal’s latest bid.

Liverpool officials were bemused by the nature of Arsenal’s latest attempt to acquire Suárez, particularly after Ian Ayre, the Anfield club’s managing director, informed Ivan Gazidis, the Arsenal chief executive, over a fortnight ago that £40 million would not be enough to buy the 26-year-old regardless of whatever encouragement Guardiola was offering them.

That came in the immediate aftermath of Arsenal’s initial £30 million offer, which they claimed would be their first and only bid. Arsène Wenger’s growing belief that Suárez is willing to join Arsenal, however, encouraged the North London club to submit an improved offer. After Liverpool also gave that proposal short shrift, they will have to decide whether or not to continue their pursuit.

In keeping with their own analysis of Suárez’s contract, Liverpool will inform the player of Arsenal’s latest offer after their pre-season friendly against Melbourne Victory today.

Come on now, nobody's going to lend any weight to that if you don't provide a source.

Yeah, but we've been paying off the stadium, so now we finally get to spend some dosh as we've signed new deals too, so it's a massive boost.

As to if we'll blow 50m on Suarez.. tbh I hope we have more than one target and strengthen the midfield too.. but assuming that I'd love to see the crazy ****** scoring in an Arsenal shirt..although I doubt I'll ever like the man, the issues are too entrenched atm..

Trust me, you will. I hate the **** a bit afer how he's acted, but you'd love the **** out of him. type of guy he is

Well, since the days of the Invincibles and players who actually give a ****, we've been thin on the ground until recent years, but the players who'd actually stand up and scrap for the team are slowly swelling the ranks.. losing Squillaci, Denilson, Arshavin & Bendtner (+ maybe Gervinho) would really start to help the side fund some depth and competition.. I do know what you mean though, it's a bit like Vieira or Terry.. yes they may start a fight or act like total ****** on the field, but they do appear to be effective at setting an example and acting as that 'spark' to get something done... probably exactly why Suarez is worth signing instead of Higuain, even if Higuain is very effective at what he does.

Godcubed, its Barrett's story IIRC. Embargo only till 10:30pm.

Gets interesting though, both sides interpret the contract differently. Will he push for a transfer request?

If it does happen, you will

one of them players you absolutely love as part of your team... nobody admits it when he is against you but you just have to like him!

If it does happen, you will

one of them players you absolutely love as part of your team... nobody admits it when he is against you but you just have to like him!

Or not. We've had our fair share of bastards at United, but there is nothing about Suarez that would make me like him. And that was before he joined Liverpool.

Or not. We've had our fair share of bastards at United, but there is nothing about Suarez that would make me like him. And that was before he joined Liverpool.

again, nobody admits it while he plays for the opposition... you give him a few months, a few match winning moments and the time to show how good he actually is and he becomes a fan favorite

you may be in the minority, but most eventually will come to like him

again, nobody admits it while he plays for the opposition... you give him a few months, a few match winning moments and the time to show how good he actually is and he becomes a fan favorite

not me the guy is a class a ***** and after the way liverpool have stood by him then he turns round and says all the things he said the guy has no class

We'll see.... alot of people already changing their opinions at the fact he is simply linked with their team

only normal more will change IF he joins. Sport and fans are very very fickle

does not matter any how he not going any where wenger does not have the guts to spend that kind of money thay might have it but thay wont spend it

No. There is a basic line I draw, and he is beyond that for me. I didnt like him at Ajax, and I certainly dont like him now. Couldnt give a stuff about match winning. I'm not into the players are role models thing. But no. Not for me.

Got to say, I do partly agree with Marshall. Although I really don't want us to buy him, if we do and he performs like he did last season I think 90% of people will be on his side. Adebayor is an utter *****, as is Nasri (Not just because they left Arsenal, RvP is about has been as classy about it as you can get when joining a rival) but we all loved them when they were wearing the red-and-white!

No. There is a basic line I draw, and he is beyond that for me. I didnt like him at Ajax, and I certainly dont like him now. Couldnt give a stuff about match winning. I'm not into the players are role models thing. But no. Not for me.

Don't see how this is so hard for people to understand. I don't like certain players. I don't give a **** if El Hadji-Diouf came to Palace and put 20 past Millwall, he's still a massive arsehole and I still won't like him.

Some of the things Roy Keane did was in my opinion worse than the majority of stuff Suarez has done... and he seemed pretty well liked!

Got to say, I do partly agree with Marshall. Although I really don't want us to buy him, if we do and he performs like he did last season I think 90% of people will be on his side. Adebayor is an utter *****, as is Nasri (Not just because they left Arsenal, RvP is about has been as classy about it as you can get when joining a rival) but we all loved them when they were wearing the red-and-white!

One would argue that they only became ****** because of the way they left, mind.

Back