The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
I'm actually going to cry. Higuaín said two days ago he was going to wait forty-eight hours to see whether we made another move for him. But no, Wenger's got his heart set on Suárez, even though it's very clear Liverpool don't want to sell him. So, once again, thanks to Wenger's inability to make any sort of managerial decision that benefits the club, we're being left behind in the transfer market. And, like I admitted in an earlier post, while Giroud has been in top form during the Asia tour, I guess we're going to have to wait and see if he can carry that momentum into the league.

Edit: What's worse, now Higuaín is going to be playing against us in the Emirates Cup, when he could have been playing for.

Suarez is the main target. Pointless to cry after Higuain. If Real wanted Suarez they'd already entered the race to sign him. Real's main targets are Bale and Vidal.

Things are looking good for Suarez, I still wouldn't rule out Rooney either though. Probably get a lot of flack for that but never say never.

Also heard we might not get Bernard who could possibly be off to Porto. Seems more logical because he does have some 3rd party ownership and Porto have been known to sign those types of players.

Things are looking good for Suarez, I still wouldn't rule out Rooney either though. Probably get a lot of flack for that but never say never.

I would. Rooney to Arsenal is even less likely than Fabregas to United

Exactly. He left to win the Champions League. So by your logic, he didn't give his all. And in my opinion, Cesc did, but whatever.

And I wasn't talking about Roy Keane, I was talking about Ryan Shawcross... :P

If you think Shawcross breaking's someone leg accidentally in a 50-50 challenge is worse than deliberately biting people, racially abusing people, then you have you priorities all wrong.

I don't know about Rooney. I imagine if Man Utd decides to let him go Chelsea will nab him. But you're right about Real Madrid not really looking at Suarez.

Still, I have a hard time seeing Liverpool let Suarez go. They desperately want to be back in the Champions League and it wouldn't make sense to sell to a rival also battling for a Champions League spot. Still, we sold RVP to Man Utd last year so anything can happen, but Suarez still has 3 years to go on his contract. If we do get Suarez it'll be at the end of August. Which is OK because he won't be playing the first 6 games anyway, but not OK because we'll waste all our time hammering out that deal instead of making any other additional signings.

Also heard we might not get Bernard who could possibly be off to Porto. Seems more logical because he does have some 3rd party ownership and Porto have been known to sign those types of players.

3rd party ownership isn't allowed in Prem. That is why I'm not 100% sure of the Bernard deal especially if we first need to pay 25m euros to Mineiro and then also pay the company for their part. Wenger will never allow that kind of money spend on 20-year old.

Rooney to Arsenal not happening, it's agent drama. He certainly isn't moving from a club as successful as Utd to earn pretty much the same/less money at Arsenal and win potentially less. Bernard.. Wenger has denied he was ever interested. I'd like to sign him and sell Gervinho, however Wenger is stubborn and if he thinks he can make Gervinho into a top player then he'll probably keep him around..

I don't know about Rooney. I imagine if Man Utd decides to let him go Chelsea will nab him. But you're right about Real Madrid not really looking at Suarez.

Still, I have a hard time seeing Liverpool let Suarez go. They desperately want to be back in the Champions League and it wouldn't make sense to sell to a rival also battling for a Champions League spot. Still, we sold RVP to Man Utd last year so anything can happen, but Suarez still has 3 years to go on his contract. If we do get Suarez it'll be at the end of August. Which is OK because he won't be playing the first 6 games anyway, but not OK because we'll waste all our time hammering out that deal instead of making any other additional signings.

Utd would rather sell to us than Chelsea I think, but I'm starting to think he won't be going anywhere this summer...

Liverpool don't actually have much choice anymore as there's no competition for him unless RM suddenly appear. I also believe that deal for him could materialize pretty quickly now. Maybe even next week as Liverpool would want to move for their own targets soon which are Soldado and Eriksen.

Bernard.. Wenger has denied he was ever interested. I'd like to sign him and sell Gervinho, however Wenger is stubborn and if he thinks he can make Gervinho into a top player then he'll probably keep him around..

Wenger has denied a lot of our signings right until they've been confirmed at arsenal.com ... I wouldn't trust him in this at all. Gervinho will be off to Roma soon.

If you think Shawcross breaking's someone leg accidentally in a 50-50 challenge is worse than deliberately biting people, racially abusing people, then you have you priorities all wrong.

I clearly said apart from the racism. And it wasn't just because of the broken leg, it was everything else that happened after it.

It would be unprofessional for Wenger to comment on Bernard right before the Copa Libertadores Final...

Liverpool don't actually have much choice anymore as there's no competition for him unless RM suddenly appear. I also believe that deal for him could materialize pretty quickly now. Maybe even next week as Liverpool would want to move for their own targets soon which are Soldado and Eriksen.

Yep, that's the counter point. They will need to replace if they sell. Still, I think despite the number of times our arm has been twisted into selling players, we're not all that great at doing it to other EPL teams.

3rd party ownership isn't allowed in Prem. That is why I'm not 100% sure of the Bernard deal especially if we first need to pay 25m euros to Mineiro and then also pay the company for their part. Wenger will never allow that kind of money spend on 20-year old.

I think the £21m or whatever the rumoured fee is would include the other company's. Santos got about £14m for Neymar, with the rest going to the other parties (I think I heard the majority of it went to his dad! :S).

It would be unprofessional for Wenger to comment on Bernard right before the Copa Libertadores Final...

I think that if we have actually been interested in Bernard, it's likely we have already agreed a deal but Mineiro don't want to unsettle the squad or fans by announcing it.

I clearly said apart from the racism. And it wasn't just because of the broken leg, it was everything else that happened after it.

You cant remove the racism, it happened. And everything else after was nothing to with Shawcross, but the Stoke fans themselves.

Yep, that's the counter point. They will need to replace if they sell. Still, I think despite the number of times our arm has been twisted into selling players, we're not all that great at doing it to other EPL teams.

True, though in this case it seems well done.. force the contract clause to find out exactly what it is.. and turn Suarez's head. If Wenger has decided he's going to be the main target to lead the team then he's certainly making bids, although it is quite funny considering how much many Arsenal fans either hate or plain dislike Suarez - I must say I never expected him to even be an option for us.

Wenger confirmed Koscielny's ankle injury is only minor.

Also Joel Campbell is off to Olympiacos on loan for next season. I hoped he'd be loaned to a prem club, but good thing that he will now likely get CL football with them.

Napoli's Higuain unveiling keeps getting canceled. Could we pull off another Park? Somebody start tying sheets together for Higuain to make his escape out the hotel window!

Arsenal are not replacing anyone yet again Gervinho is going and tbh good he just couldn't adapt to prem now hopefully we play Ryo now

Apparently Joel Campbell's loan also has a future fee involved. If this is true that kinda sucks. Arsene Wenger has said we will keep Ryo so it looks like he will get some chances in the first team this season which is good.

Back