The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
It's actually a very good move for both sides, though, if you think about it.

Yes I know. Chamakh needs his confidence back and lots of playing time. I think he might manage 15 goals for them in all competitions.

Yes I know. Chamakh needs his confidence back and lots of playing time. I think he might manage 15 goals for them in all competitions.
And Palace are in dire need of a proven striker, even if he hasn't done that well for Arsenal. Although if you think about it, 14 goals in 67 appearances isn't exactly terrible.

And Palace are in dire need of a proven striker, even if he hasn't done that well for Arsenal. Although if you think about it, 14 goals in 67 appearances isn't exactly terrible.

No. Especially as 10 of those 14 came in first 6 months when RVP was injured. Will be interesting to watch how he does now with much less expectations.

"Everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others"

And you're a mong.

No. Especially as 10 of those 14 came in first 6 months when RVP was injured. Will be interesting to watch how he does now with much less expectations.

We shall see! I'm optimistic. It's a low risk, potentially high reward situation. Chamakh's no mug, and if nothing else he works hard and uses his physicality well. He could get us a few, but now with his addition, a young gun and super Kevin Phillips (who's always good for a goal or two in the 88th minute), Palace look a LOT healthier as a team. A good transfer all round I think.

EDIT: Mike just gave me an infraction for saying Chamakh's no mug! Harsh Mike, harsh

Last edited:
I really hope we get the Luis Gustavo deal done. We also potentially need another center half and a forward to properly challenge.

Anyone heard of anyone else besides Suarez on the cards?

I really hope we get the Luis Gustavo deal done. We also potentially need another center half and a forward to properly challenge.

Anyone heard of anyone else besides Suarez on the cards?

I've heard we aren't looking at CB, but a RB actually which means that Sagna will be used as our 4th choice CB this season.

Heard only that Suarez had talks with Rodgers yesterday and then went to Japan so nothing new there. Some not so reliable places have said we are going to make a new almost 50m offer for Liverpool

I heard some rumblings on Sakho a while back and it's apparently very open with Thiago Silva Alex and Marquinhos ahead of him in the pecking order. Never really seen him play though
Ex-captain Mamadou Sakho wants to leave Paris Saint-Germain - ESPN FC

Gourcuff apparently would take a paycut to join us
Yoann Gourcuff would take pay cut to join Arsenal says Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas - ESPN FC

I will never understand why we're not throwing in our hat to get Lewandowski. I'm sure for the price of Suarez, we could get him.

I heard some rumblings on Sakho a while back and it's apparently very open with Thiago Silva Alex and Marquinhos ahead of him in the pecking order. Never really seen him play though

Yoann Gourcuff would take pay cut to join Arsenal says Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas - ESPN FC

I will never understand why we're not throwing in our hat to get Lewandowski. I'm sure for the price of Suarez, we could get him.

Don't think we need either of Sakho or Gourcuff at all.

Lewandowski is going to Bayern.

You don't really need Sakho, you have Koscielny and Mertesacker, who both did well last season, and Vermaelen, who could be vital if he picks up his old form.

You could get Lewandowski for a lot less than Suárez, but he has his sights set on Bayern.

Don't think we need either of Sakho or Gourcuff at all.

Lewandowski is going to Bayern.
Even if he wasn't going to Bayern, I doubt he would go to Arsenal to be honest.

You don't really need Sakho, you have Koscielny and Mertesacker, who both did well last season, and Vermaelen, who could be vital if he picks up his old form.

You could get Lewandowski for a lot less than Suárez, but he has his sights set on Bayern.

Even if he wasn't going to Bayern, I doubt he would go to Arsenal to be honest.

Well if Bayern were out of the picture there are not too many clubs better than Arsenal in need of striker. Biggest competition likely would be from Chelsea.

Though I'd expect Real make way for Lewandowski if he was willing to go and Utd also by selling Rooney.

Well if Bayern were out of the picture there are not too many clubs better than Arsenal in need of striker. Biggest competition likely would be from Chelsea.

Though I'd expect Real make way for Lewandowski if he was willing to go and Utd also by selling Rooney.
Not many 'big clubs' need a striker, but the fact is, if he was available for relatively cheap, which he probably would be, I bet a lot of clubs would buy him - even if they don't need him.

Not many 'big clubs' need a striker, but the fact is, if he was available for relatively cheap, which he probably would be, I bet a lot of clubs would buy him - even if they don't need him.

He wouldn't be cheap. Dortmund don't need to sell and because he's effectively "playing for contract" he will be putting in the shift there until next summer. Better he does this year more he will be paid at Bayern.

He wouldn't be cheap. Dortmund don't need to sell and because he's effectively "playing for contract" he will be putting in the shift there until next summer. Better he does this year more he will be paid at Bayern.

He only has a year left on his contract, so Dortmund would rather sell him to a foreign club then let him go for free to Bayern or anywhere else.

Well, to be fair of course we'd rather have him if we could. With the club seemingly able to blow 40m (don't forget the extra quid) on Suarez, then Lewa would certainly be a top quality finisher, but he's 24, is incredibly talented, performs in big games and wouldn't come cheap. If RVP is worth £24m in the last season of his contract then we're looking at possibly £30m for Lewa, which if it comes into a bidding war is going to get back to Suarez figures pretty quickly.

Would he improve the side? Undoubtedly. Would he come? I doubt it. He's hanging on for the Bayern move, and knows he'd rather wait a year and move to them on a free for a huge payday for him, than be stuck playing for us for four years in a league which is much more open in terms of competition.

That said, Gustavo and Lewa are the two types of players the club has been missing recently, a solid DM to blunt attacks and keep the back line safe, and a top quality finisher able to pick up 20 goals and put those games to bed.

Oh and lets not forget Sanogo.

He only has a year left on his contract, so Dortmund would rather sell him to a foreign club then let him go for free to Bayern or anywhere else.

It's not up to Dortmund alone, Lewandowski should be interested to move also. All the reports are pointing towards one direction only, that he has agreed to move to Bayern.

Dont know much about Gourcuff where abouts does he play and who would he rotate with if he did go to arsenal

It's not up to Dortmund alone, Lewandowski should be interested to move also. All the reports are pointing towards one direction only, that he has agreed to move to Bayern.

He hasnt agreed to move to Bayern. But he is refusing to talk to anyone else.

Dortmund are going to pay him 2m euros over the year, to top up his wages. Not because they have to for an contractual reasons, but just because they want to. His wages are 20k euros a week.

Back